HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:04 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNewbie View Post
Here's a foolproof trouble shooting guide.

Q: Did you buy the servos from Hobbyking?
A: If yes, they're essentially crap servos.

Hey newbie mate, what sort of planes do you fly with HXT900's in them?
Hopefully not a case of 'all gear, no idea', lol.

sound familiar?

Anyone who has actually used HXT900's (not on direct 2S li-po however! ) knows they are a fine servo, and punch well above their weight. I have used plenty and not had a bad one yet.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:44 AM
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
Hey newbie mate, what sort of planes do you fly with HXT900's in them?
Um, none. If I know a servo is no good, why would I put it in a plane? Even a newb knows that much!

And I may be a newb, but I'm not so povo poor to buy crap gear like HXTs!
AussieNewbie is offline Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:47 AM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Um, none. If I know a servo is no good, why would I put it in a plane? Even a newb knows that much!

Kind of sounds like your throwing money out the window when its not needed.
If you don't use HXT's in small/mid size foamies, what do you use then? There aren't many cheap servos on the market that have as much praise as the HXT line.

Thanks
mdem
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:42 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,128 Posts
Quote:

Nothing at all wrong with being a n00b, we were all at one point, but if you have no experience with the servos in question then why bag them when you obviously have no idea on that particular product?

And it's not about being povo, it's about supporting good product that is sold at a good price.

So tell me, what is a good servo that one would buy in place of those crappy HXT900s?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:27 AM
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
331 Posts
Hyperion and Futaba make good servos in a variety of sizes.

I guess it boils down to whether you want something that's "good" or "good for the money". I hate that qualification "...for the money", so I'm inclined to buy good stuff from the outset.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:48 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,128 Posts
So you can't tell me? ok, so I won't take your advice then.....

I have owned plenty of small servos in this class. "Good for the money" means just that. You have a plane that needs "x" spec to drive it. You either pay 5 bucks or up to $50 for the same job. When masses of people say that the $5 one does the job, and it does it well for a long time, so you try them, and low and behold they were right! So then why would you spend up to 10 times the amount in future?

The HXT 900's are good servos outright. The fact that they are cheap is icing on the cake. MG-14 are another brilliant little servo btw.....but I guess you'll never realise...... AND they are so cheap that if you total your plane, you throw them out so you aren't left with a bag full of expensive servos that have been crashed, they owe you too much to throw out, so you fit them in your new airframe and then in the back of your mind is the thought that your new plane now has crashed and possibly damaged servos in it

As for hyperion, way overpriced.......you need to open your horizons a little on what's out there, and save a ton of cash!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:51 AM
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
331 Posts
Your family must love you when it comes to Christmas presents time, lol!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:11 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,686 Posts
Quote:

I guess it boils down to whether you want something that's "good" or "good for the money". I hate that qualification "...for the money", so I'm inclined to buy good stuff from the outset.
You'll get over that (n00b) stance once you realize it can cost $100-$200 to buy brand-name servos for a $50 foamie.

You'll of course be insisting on genuine FASST receivers for all of your models, at $100/pop, and nothing but Castle Cremations ESCs.

Total for getting that glorified meat tray into the air will approach $500... and then you'll look to your right and see the guy next to you flying just as nicely with $50 worth of gear, tops, except he'll be enjoying it more because he's got another half-dozen planes from the money he saved
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:30 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,568 Posts
I use HXT900's in helis (cyclics), planes and gliders. Cheap as chips and work ok. When gears strip, just put in another one. With money saved I can buy a decent fast heli tail servo.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:34 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,128 Posts
Quote:
Your family must love you when it comes to Christmas presents time, lol!
on the contrary, with all the spare cash I have by not wasting it on overpriced bits for what is essentially a toy plane hobby, they do pretty darn good. It's me who never seems to get the good presents from them, but that's for another thread....
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Have to say I put HTX 900's in my omega 2m v tail to replace a burnt out JR (quick fix to get me back in the air) that was about 3 years ago.

And this is no foamy but a fully molded electric glider I setup around 10 years ago before hobbyking and cost $$$$$$$

Love the fact I can now get similar performance for next to nothing.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:39 PM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
370 Posts
Quote:

HXT900 servos are not good or good for the money
They are great and great for the money
But you keep buying that over priced stuff if it makes you feel special.
After all they need people like you to keep them in the life style they are used to.
Cliff
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:10 PM
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
331 Posts
At the end of the day, it probably comes down to the "haves" and "have nots", and what you can afford based on the job you've got.

Don't worry about my hangar being small because of the price involved in fitting out each model. Let's just say...money is not a problem.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:21 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,686 Posts
Quote:
At the end of the day, it probably comes down to the "haves" and "have nots", and what you can afford based on the job you've got.

Don't worry about my hangar being small because of the price involved in fitting out each model. Let's just say...money is not a problem.
You'd be better off giving away some of your magnificent wealth to charities instead of wasting it on peddlers of overpriced RC gear.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:52 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,128 Posts
Quote:

mate, you're a legend.....