HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
New builder questions

I am new to RC. I am building a Balsa USA Stick 40 Plus trainer and have a few questions.
1. I know balsa is strong for its weight, but would the fixed parts of the rudder and elevator benefit from triangulation provided by the addition of wires between them as I see on many real planes?
2. The main wing is meant to be held on with rubber bands. In theory, this allows for the wing and fuselage to separate in a crash and minimize damage. Is this really likely to work? Does the wing ever shift during flight? Would it not be better off bolted on?
3. Iíve certainly heard of planes being flown into trees, but how often are planes completely lost? Would it be a good investment to buy one of those new GPS locators?
BrianDixon is offline Find More Posts by BrianDixon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:07 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Brian, welcome to RCG!

First of all, let me say that I'm not familiar with the BUSA Stik trainer, so my comments are generic:

1. Most models of that ilk use a balsa truss design for the horizontal and vertical stabilisers. When covered with film, those are usually plenty strong enough. There's nothing to prevent you from fitting wire braces though, as long as you insert hard points in the stabilisers to attach them to.

2. The rubber band idea actually works as advertised, saving you some repair time on the fuselage or wings after those not-so-perfect landings (not that you'd be having any of those, eh?). It scores lower in the aesthetics department than bolt-on wings, but is actually a good idea on a primary trainer.

3. Completely losing a model is a rare occurrence- and usually only happens when the model crashes fairly far out in woods or scrub. Something like a lost model alarm (the device screeches loudly when the TX signal is lost, i.e. you turn off your TX when you can't find the model) would be much, much cheaper and way less complicated than a GPS tracking device.

Good luck, and please post some pics of your build!
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:25 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
994 Posts
Brian... also extending my welcome. Nothing further to add to the good answer to your questions.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:54 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,824 Posts
Welcome Brian! The only thing I can think of is to hook the last two rubber bands on opposite sides of the plane. They will form an "X" and help to keep the other bands from coming off.

One more thing..... Cut up your credit cards and hide the check book. You may also want to get a head start on a good 12 step program. You'll need it

Actually RC, IS one of those hobbies you don't have to spend tons of money on to enjoy.

Keep coming back to get those questions answered!!

ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Thanks very much for the answers and encouragement, I am looking forward to everything about this hobby.....well maybe not the crashing!

Sincerely,
Brian
BrianDixon is offline Find More Posts by BrianDixon
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,118 Posts
If your new to flying and fly around any woods,I think it's well worth it to have a beeper. I bought the one I have several years ago. It beeps if there is no servo commanded movement for something like 10 seconds. Now days it looks like they all beep when the signal is lost which is a better idea
I lost control of a plane years ago when I first started in woods that weren't that dense. It happened in the morning,and it was afternoon by the time I found it. I walked right by it several times. Thats what compelled me to buy a beeper.
I now have a buttload of planes,but only one beeper. Last fall my motor died fortunately on the one with the beeper. I tried to get back but the wind was blowing the wrong way and it went down in the heavy woods. I could hear it beeping from 50 yard away (amazing how quiet the woods are). But It made easy work of finding that plane (which somehow fell all the way to the ground and was hardly damaged.)
Cheep insurance http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ne_Finder.html
Of course if the battery flies out during the crash,your screwed. So secure the connections somehow.

Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:04 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,454 Posts
I just recently bought a hiking gps, etrex legend. While doing a demo flight on my trainer with a newbie, the wings broke in half and spun in out in the cedars. That was about 4 months ago and after 4 hours of searching, still no luck. Another instructors student spun in a few weeks earlier and was found about 3 weeks later using a hiking gps. The cedars around us are about 15' to 25' high and pretty dense underbrush. Once you have your way point from pilot station to the line it went down, you can do a more logical search pattern and the gps tells you where you searched and where you havent. I havent tried mine yet, but will soon. Total losses happen sometimes. I'm working on a self powered beeper since my crashes tend to scatter debris and send the battery flying someplace else.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDixon View Post
I am new to RC. I am building a Balsa USA Stick 40 Plus trainer and have a few questions.
1. I know balsa is strong for its weight, but would the fixed parts of the rudder and elevator benefit from triangulation provided by the addition of wires between them as I see on many real planes?
2. The main wing is meant to be held on with rubber bands. In theory, this allows for the wing and fuselage to separate in a crash and minimize damage. Is this really likely to work? Does the wing ever shift during flight? Would it not be better off bolted on?
3. Iíve certainly heard of planes being flown into trees, but how often are planes completely lost? Would it be a good investment to buy one of those new GPS locators?
1. Your kit is a trainer and thus shouldn't fly too excitingly. If you build it as designed, the the fin and tailplane should be well up to the job. Wire bracings can work well, but they have to be properly designed, made and anchored.

2. Rubber bands are fine. My present aerobatic model has its low wing held on with bands and does just fine. Get decent bands though - collecting what your postal delivery person leaves lying around is not good. A model this size likely will need #64 bands - try your local office supply stores - Staples, Office Depot, etc. Four or even five a side is good and toss them after a day's flying.

3. Don't fly near trees! I crashed a model into one for the first time last year, since I first flew RC in 1980. Even worse, the local govt cut it down three days later When you start flying at a club site, your instructor should know the best flight patterns to avoid any trees that are still hanging around the site. Pay attention! A GPS is a little grandiose - something that makes a lot of noise would do for an outfield landing, as above, and if the model's up a tree, a tree is very obvious.

Good luck with your new model

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:54 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2009
331 Posts
To a pine tree balsa taste like chicken !

Rick
shootnstarz is offline Find More Posts by shootnstarz
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,454 Posts
Cedar tree's are like goats, they'll eat anything. It would be pretty hard to not fly near tree's.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1