HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Discussion
Is this engine good for Thundercat 31?

Hi, Boaters!

Is this Thunder Tiger .46 engine a good one as an upgrade engine for a Pro Boat Thundercat 31?

Here is the link. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAHSX

According to the specs, while the stock Dynamite .32 engine of Thundercat is 1.18 hp at 28.000 rpm, Thunder Tiger .46 engies' power is 2.46 HP @ 23,000 rpm.

If this .46 engine is good enough as an upgrade, is quite bit of midofication necessary to mount it in the TC 31? Also what prop would be the best one for this engine in the TC 31?

Advices from experienced boaters will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
savage0102 is offline Find More Posts by savage0102
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
You'll find that it will some some work to drop it in there as the output shaft is different as the Thunder Tiger uses an SG type shaft because it's made for a clutched engine.
In this case your giving up one thing for another, HP or RPM.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Thank you Ron for your response! I guess I shouldn't go with Thunder Tiger engine.

Isn't there more powerful engine than the Dynamite .32 engine with an affordable price? Thank you again!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:39 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
There's always more powerful but they come at a price unfortunately.
I've seen guys try to drop in better ones but there is the work of getting it in there. Usually the exhaust system seems to be the biggest headache.
Let's assume that you didn't blow your engine up as maybe you did or didn't. There are a few things that can be done to get a little more power out of it. First and easiest mod is to port match the header. Pull it off and you'll see how it chokes down the flow. Get a Dremel and open it up as that can be worth about a 1,000 or more RPM (!) increase there alone! The carb is considered a Sport carb as actually the whole engine is. That's like running and trying to breathe through a straw. I've seen where some have adapted a Super Tigre carb to get more air and fuel to it.
The stock prop, well, sucks. Try an Octura M-445. We spent a day testing props on one of these from my box of props and on radar found that one to work best from what I had handy. If you see elsewhere about that prop on that boat, you know now where it came from. It may not be the best one for it but just what I had at the time.
Get some weight towards the back. Place a 10-12 oz. tank in the right rear sponson. You can leave the stock one in place if you'd like. This will allow the hull to get more air under it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi, Ron! Thank you very much for your advice again!

I have already done the exhaust header porting, as you recommended. And I saw that you recommend Zipp Kits 444 prop on a different forum, so that I have ordered it, and it will be delivered tomorrow (I am excited for that prop, since the stock prop is a crap.).

Could you tell me which carb of Super Tiger (possibly the part number, too) of it, please? In addition, does this carb perfectly fit into the hole of the Dynamite .32 engine without any issue?

I think I should get the carb that you mentioned rather than buying a better engine, because I don't want to be kicked out of home by my wife (lol)! Thank you again!
Last edited by savage0102; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:31 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
The 444 should be a good prop as I forgot about that one!
As far as the carb goes, it seems like it was from a .46, probably off a plane engine.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Thank you for your response, Ron!

If you don't mind, let me ask one more question, please. Is removing some shims under the engine head a good idea or not? If so, how many sims should be removed? I hope it does not burn the glow plug so quickly. Thank you again!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:37 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,911 Posts
Sure! Usually ProBoat puts 2 of them in and you remove one after a short break-in period. Most marine engines only have about .0012" of head clearance.