HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
also, heres one more video for you guys to check out and give feedback on... its pretty cool esp. because there are hawks in the video that are being chased by my plane:

soaring with hawks (7 min 48 sec)
meisjacko is offline Find More Posts by meisjacko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:57 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisjacko View Post
yes its just that nobody on the district X forums give any advice.
They are probably just being polite.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:07 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,158 Posts
Quote:
yes its just that nobody on the district X forums give any advice.
So spam us instead. Riiight
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:31 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
for me it's about stabilising your video...grab some decent software and find some stabiliser plug ins and you will be amazed at the difference it makes......and make them shorter 3 minutes max.....and throw some music on it and make it match the scene. Please don't go for elevator style music, too sleepy! And use Vimeo so youtube doesn't ping you for using music.

The gopro wide angle horizon is not limited to gopro and is almost impossible to avoid as any wide angle is going to do that unless you keep the camera 90* to the horizon. Pretty hard when planes pitch up and down.
You are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if you use narrow FOV, then people get motion sick watching it, go wide, people whinge about the horizon. So do what YOU want to watch, and be your own worst critic. I prefer the wide angle as you get to see around a bit more, much better than tunnel vision... but that's just me.

and get the prop out of the way somehow, I hate that. I understand it's hard to do, but behind the canopy is prob the worst place for it. Try out on the wing looking back to the aircraft, (balance the other wing of course) mix it up a bit, do a heap of different angles on the same day then edit it all into one video so it looks like it was all done at the same flight. Do the same sequence each flight so you can mix it in easily.

The biggest problem you will have is 10 years ago, nobody really saw onboard footage, so it was realy cool no matter how bad it was. I did some years ago that was woefull, but people liked it because it was still relatively new...... nowdays, every man and his dog is doing it, so it gets a little mundane. You almost need to fly around the statue of liberty for anyone to even notice nowdays...........

FPV has also made random flying onboard video redundant as they can actually pin point items of interest and follow it, say a flying bird, they can actually fly with them and keep them in frame, as opposed to most std onboard where you see a glimpse of the bird every 10 seconds or so.

whiskers photographer advice is spot on, but it is very hard to be different, there in lies the challenge. Video is just like still photography, easy to do, hard to do well.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Last edited by gouch; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,304 Posts
Video is just like still photography, easy to do, hard to do well.
True that!
You almost need to fly around the statue of liberty for anyone to even notice nowdays True too, but you'd need to get 30 spectacular girls to drop their tops in the viewing area as well.
I don't think the OP wants advice. He is wanting people to tell him how wonderful he is.
He has posted this stuff twice on USA District X and also on USA District V and USA District IV as well as here. Only here has he had a bite.
I guess time, and a few smacks around the kisser, will eventually make him less of a prat.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
aw shut up. I just tried those to try and get some damn advice! and i didnt get any!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,304 Posts
Well you got some excellent advice from gouch so that should make you happy.
Don't come to an Australian forum if you get upset by guys saying what they think.
That's what we do.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
Quote:
aw shut up. I just tried those to try and get some damn advice! and i didnt get any!
I'm beginning to see why nobody replied to you in the other threads.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Don't come to an Australian forum if you get upset by guys saying what they think.
That's what we do.
That's pretty much spot on for this forum, some deal with it, others don't
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:28 PM
CRASHING IS THE EASY PART
Australia, NSW, Oatley
Joined Sep 2011
720 Posts
Quote:
ill give advice

dont ask

work it for your self if u dont want to learn ....

its not just a good camera that makes a good video it is also Good flying
MclF1 is offline Find More Posts by MclF1
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
which is what ive done by coming to you guys
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
very cryptic
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
for me it's about stabilising your video...grab some decent software and find some stabiliser plug ins and you will be amazed at the difference it makes......and make them shorter 3 minutes max.....and throw some music on it and make it match the scene. Please don't go for elevator style music, too sleepy! And use Vimeo so youtube doesn't ping you for using music.

The gopro wide angle horizon is not limited to gopro and is almost impossible to avoid as any wide angle is going to do that unless you keep the camera 90* to the horizon. Pretty hard when planes pitch up and down.
You are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if you use narrow FOV, then people get motion sick watching it, go wide, people whinge about the horizon. So do what YOU want to watch, and be your own worst critic. I prefer the wide angle as you get to see around a bit more, much better than tunnel vision... but that's just me.

and get the prop out of the way somehow, I hate that. I understand it's hard to do, but behind the canopy is prob the worst place for it. Try out on the wing looking back to the aircraft, (balance the other wing of course) mix it up a bit, do a heap of different angles on the same day then edit it all into one video so it looks like it was all done at the same flight. Do the same sequence each flight so you can mix it in easily.

The biggest problem you will have is 10 years ago, nobody really saw onboard footage, so it was realy cool no matter how bad it was. I did some years ago that was woefull, but people liked it because it was still relatively new...... nowdays, every man and his dog is doing it, so it gets a little mundane. You almost need to fly around the statue of liberty for anyone to even notice nowdays...........

FPV has also made random flying onboard video redundant as they can actually pin point items of interest and follow it, say a flying bird, they can actually fly with them and keep them in frame, as opposed to most std onboard where you see a glimpse of the bird every 10 seconds or so.

whiskers photographer advice is spot on, but it is very hard to be different, there in lies the challenge. Video is just like still photography, easy to do, hard to do well.
see you guys, this is the type of advice i am looking for.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
126 Posts
not just criticism that im trying to promote my videos, which is not true.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
most people just say "bump"
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:06 AM
fpv addict
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
921 Posts
If you want smoother flying on the cheap get 2 or 3 gyros mount them on pitch roll yaw axis and plug inline with corresponding servos. This will cancel most cross wind interference, buffeting,cg related issues, trim issues, it will definitely smooth things out. Also if you find yourself overdriving or over correcting try some expo or reduced rates it will also help.
mrleenagle is offline Find More Posts by mrleenagle