SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:34 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
On the original topic (I hope!), Chicago is surrounded by Cook County (or C(r)ook County as it is sometimes known...). The county has designated and maintains nine model aircraft flying sites across the county - oddly enough, none are actually in Chicago, as it's a little crowded, though I've heard of on group who fly at a Chicago lakeshore site on the basis of that they can, and no-one's told them not to.

http://fpdcc.com/recreation/model-airplane/ has the Cook County sites on it. The page also mentions that "Please note that flying model aircraft is only allowed in these designated locations and is available on a first-come, first-served basis."

Though I suspect there will be forests of lawerbabble back of that somewhere in county hall..

Some FPV is great. The last I did was in a C-130 Hercules transport. The view over Italy was great. Why anyone would want to risk flying a lot of money's worth of overgrown toy airplane over places where a signal glitch or electromechanical fault could dive a model into housing, people or whatever escapes me. You want FPV - go get a pilot's licence or just a ride around in a light aircraft or glider.

But we are stuck with people who have to buy stuff and then do stupid things with it, mostly because they just have to be different, or maybe because it's against the rules is their main attraction.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:06 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
On the original topic (I hope!), Chicago is surrounded by Cook County (or C(r)ook County as it is sometimes known...). The county has designated and maintains nine model aircraft flying sites across the county - oddly enough, none are actually in Chicago, as it's a little crowded, though I've heard of on group who fly at a Chicago lakeshore site on the basis of that they can, and no-one's told them not to.

http://fpdcc.com/recreation/model-airplane/ has the Cook County sites on it. The page also mentions that "Please note that flying model aircraft is only allowed in these designated locations and is available on a first-come, first-served basis."

Though I suspect there will be forests of lawerbabble back of that somewhere in county hall..

Some FPV is great. The last I did was in a C-130 Hercules transport. The view over Italy was great. Why anyone would want to risk flying a lot of money's worth of overgrown toy airplane over places where a signal glitch or electromechanical fault could dive a model into housing, people or whatever escapes me. You want FPV - go get a pilot's licence or just a ride around in a light aircraft or glider.

But we are stuck with people who have to buy stuff and then do stupid things with it, mostly because they just have to be different, or maybe because it's against the rules is their main attraction.

D
Or maybe it's just the progression of the hobby. Control line, to radio control, to seeing the planes view. Go get a pilots license? Sure. Spend thousand doing that and then hundreds per hour to rent a plane. I guess everybody's entitled to put their black robe on and grab the gavel and judge everything everyone else wants to do.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post

D
I have dealt with cook county when i was president of the SAC club in the late 70's .They wanted to take our flying site away and make it into a living history farm where the city kids could come out and pet the cows. We fought them for 3 years and were loosing till i called in the tree huggers and showed them how wet the fields surounding our little cut area was . They called it wetlands and it was the last we heard from cook county. 4 years ago the tree huggers talked cook county into taking the site and cutting down all the trees and flooding the field even more for wetlands but cook count did build the club SAC better flying field with 500.000 and cook county did the work and gave land for it. The moral of this story is never trust tree huggers or cook county . lol joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup