HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:56 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Ha Ha if i wanted to see anything from the air i have plenty of friends with full size planes that would love to getme air sick. Its guys flying these big fpv's thats getting the rest of our hobby in trouble and just like the ama and others we want to stay clear of them and of what the faa might do to them in the future.
I don't buy the FUD about fpv ruining an entire hobby.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:45 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Again its not our hobby its yours , They just tried to put restrictions on uslast year and the AMA kept us seperate fron yours to keep us out of the mess. Your right its not ruining it now but it was about to. Enjoy your restrictions comming down the pipe in the near future. It realy is not many of your guys fault but some few have made waves by doing stuped stuff. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:49 AM
Joined May 2012
8,173 Posts
Quote:
Again its not our hobby its yours , They just tried to put restrictions on uslast year and the AMA kept us seperate fron yours to keep us out of the mess. Your right its not ruining it now but it was about to. Enjoy your restrictions comming down the pipe in the near future. It realy is not many of your guys fault but some few have made waves by doing stuped stuff. joe
Heh... I don't personally fly FPV. Just micros and parkfliers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Thst fine and more power to you like i said its the bigger planes that are bringing attention from the faa and its not good attention. joe
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2012
8,173 Posts
Quote:
Thst fine and more power to you like i said its the bigger planes that are bringing attention from the faa and its not good attention. joe
I tend to agree that a 350 pound clone of an MQ 9 reaper is a bit much. a 2 lb foam skywalker or fpv ZII? And for what it's worth the FAA has been after this for years. AMA already got model exemptions years ago.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:03 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
I think the laws are a bit out-dated... they were created in the days when all RC planes were heavy, unreliable, noisy, and flammable -- so naturally cities created ordinances to ban them both as a noise-nuisance and as a potential fire hazard.
Unfortunately, this is often not he case. Many of the bans are quite recent and new ones are being introduced all the time.

In some cases, the flyers have only themselves to blame because their models are far too big, noisy and dangerous to fly in a public area such as a park. In others, the flyers were acting responsibly but excessively zealous city officials intervened.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Unfortunately, this is often not he case. Many of the bans are quite recent and new ones are being introduced all the time.

In some cases, the flyers have only themselves to blame because their models are far too big, noisy and dangerous to fly in a public area such as a park. In others, the flyers were acting responsibly but excessively zealous city officials intervened.
I agree but most clubs are permitted to fly gas and nitro. My club rents its own land miles from any houses or traffic. Its the guys who get planes and try to fly in town or city parks with nitro or electrict that get the new laws thrown at them. I look at it this way if you can afford a 1000 dollar gas warbird ,you should at least pay your ama dues (65 bucks)and join a club to fly your plane safely and have the extra insurance in case something bad happens. joe
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:13 PM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
479 Posts
I for one am a member of a club. I very strongly believe in belonging to a club, however I like to fly electrics (small electrics) and parks to promote this sport. I would never consider flying a large nitro or gas plane at a park. The largest nitro I would fly at a park would be a .049 engine.
It has been more than 30 years since I have flown nitro at a park or on public grounds.

If someone would not have flown on public grounds more than 50 years ago I would not be in the hobby today. Flying small electrics at a park can open doors for new club members. Please don't misunderstand I want to see RC clubs grow. If we ever loose local clubs and the AMA we will find that we will no longer have places to fly.

Good clubs help promote this hobby and insure that people learn to fly safely. That is not a plug for Clubs, but it is my opinion. I recently returned from a trip to Myrtle Beach SC. They have no problem with park fliers there so long as safety is followed, at least that is what I was told. I very much enjoyed flying in a recreation field there.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:54 AM
Georgia
Joined Jan 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meach_in_GA View Post
I live in a metro county to Atlanta, RC is prohibited in county parks and the police will chase you off except at the county designated RC club field (30 min drive for me). However there is one particular city within the county that lets us fly at a particular city park (15 min from me) that was build upon an old dump and only has a walking trail and some garden space.
I live below Atlanta and have never had any problems flying at the local park. I've been flying the PZ T-28 & Habu off and on for about a year there. The police have drove through the park while I'm flying and not said a thing. I usually only go when there are not a lot of people there. If there is anyone at the park while I'm flying, they all usually watch and sometimes tell me that they enjoyed watching.
Mike81 is offline Find More Posts by Mike81
Last edited by Mike81; Feb 10, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
106 Posts
I fly in front of my house. I have a champ and live in a gated community. I try to fly from 9am to 2pm when iam off on week days(given when winds die down). Since iam learning I fly when there is only myself to harm!
scar308 is offline Find More Posts by scar308
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:49 AM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
241 Posts
The Nebraska legislature had the first hearings on the proposed UAV restrictions yesterday. I have not heard how things went but, making warrantless searches with the use of a UAV illegal and inadmissable in court sounds like a good thing to me.
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
559 Posts
Lots of parkflying around here. Only ever see people flying Electrics. I don't know the legal status but never been hassled. Don't fly stupid or loud and people will be friendly. Stick to sub one pound foamies in parks and keep them quiet. If you fly a screaming 100 MPH wing in a neighborhood park someone will call the cops and I don't blame them.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:45 AM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
One other reason parks ay be banning r/c planes. Is that where I live they have put huge restriction's on dogs in the parks. I think there are only 2 areas that are dog parks and they are just large unkempt areas on the outskirts of the city.
So i' thinking these pi$$ed off dog owner's see guys flying in a park and scream to city council
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined May 2012
8,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf370 View Post
One other reason parks ay be banning r/c planes. Is that where I live they have put huge restriction's on dogs in the parks. I think there are only 2 areas that are dog parks and they are just large unkempt areas on the outskirts of the city.
So i' thinking these pi$$ed off dog owner's see guys flying in a park and scream to city council
Airplanes don't all over the ground and get left there by irresponsible people.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Airplanes don't all over the ground and get left there by irresponsible people.
Iam a dog owner with 2 dogs and i would not ever take my dogs to the flying field or a dog park. .I spent big money to put a 6ft high fence around my home so they can play or with out being bothered by people or any other dog. I think people who take their dogs to dog parks are their to meet people and not to take good care of their dogs . BTW my son is payed every day to clean up our yard after school so the dogs have a clean place to or play the next day . My last dog was a full size dobe we rescued from a shelter ,she was 3 years old when we saved her and she passed away last year at 20 . . joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM.