SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:54 PM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
Discussion
Are you allowed to fly foamies where you live

As I travel from place to place some places they have no problems with park flier electric planes. But in my part of the country near Cleveland Ohio, USA (in that general area) very few places will they allow you to fly in parks. My question is, is this mostly in my area, or is it this way all over the country.

I'm not talking about large electric or fuel planes. I talking about park fliers 16 oz or lighter, 36" wing span or less, 30 mph flight speed or less.

What is your general location and how to they feel about small electrics where you live? I would love to hear from others.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:41 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
It varies a lot. In Plano TX (North Dallas suburb) it is illegal to operate any remote control vehicle on public property. Yes, ILLEGAL. Your kid running his little toy car on the sidewalk is breaking the law. Just the next town north, Allen TX welcomes electric models including aircraft in their parks.

Go figure...

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:11 AM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
were i live i fly in front of my house nobody cares and i have been to the park still again nobody cares
thechannelmast is online now Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:02 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,093 Posts
Here in UK, don't know of any legal issue, but it's good practice to check with land owner if you can. If it's a local authority (park) space and there's no signs up saying no RC, I think it's okay (& I have never seen any signs), but bear in mind other users of the park. The models may be small, but they could still hurt someone at 30mph !
Generally, we go to a remote field with farmer's permission, no houses & trees are way off. Some smaller depron-magnet bushes lurk on the field perimeter though. I think so long as you aren't making a lot of noise or getting in other's way, model flying should be okay (in fact encouraged)
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:09 AM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
923 Posts
Here is Fort Smith AR I havn't encountered any problems anywhere. I fly at a couple local parks with small lakes in them and I usually have a few people stop and ask questions.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:22 AM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
In my county to my knowledge there only two places that you can fly. There is a local college that is tax supported, and I have been told they don't complain as long as the plains are small electric. We also have a metro park system with about 25 to 30 parks that have many remote areas but there is only one place you are allowed to fly. Nothing larger than a 250 size motor no jets. the area is too small for most fliers to use. Too many trees and 200' by 250' if that large. The trees are more than 50'high make a mistake and you are in the trees.

I've been flying for almost 50 years,and about 40 years ago they stopped nito planes in all the parks in this area. That included .049 control line planes. It's hard to promote a hobby where you are forbidden to have it unless you own many acres of land some place out side of the cities and no nitro or gas motors.

Now I am talking about public land, there are at least 4 RC clubs located in rural areas on private property. Clubs are always losing their fields because of fuel engines. Electrics may not just be the way of the future, they may become the only future.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill
Last edited by propjobbill; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:33 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
here we have mount nebo it a cemetery with a rc airstrip long ago people around the world came and fly autogyro
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:36 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
i fly in my local park.. But own a piece of land with a paved runway on it (though i will have to mow the grass, Get the Club BMFA approved, and put in a large shed and maybe a generator)
before it can be used..

K
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:43 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
252 Posts
In early December, I read in the local paper that our wise and all knowing city council was considering banning all model airplanes from flying in the city parks and limits. I have tried to find out more but no luck.

Terry
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:09 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Our city parks support it. Next city over it's only legal in three parks that I know of. Our local RC club was very proactive in getting the ok.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
57 Posts
I live in a metro county to Atlanta, RC is prohibited in county parks and the police will chase you off except at the county designated RC club field (30 min drive for me). However there is one particular city within the county that lets us fly at a particular city park (15 min from me) that was build upon an old dump and only has a walking trail and some garden space.
Meach_in_GA is offline Find More Posts by Meach_in_GA
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:17 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
Calgary, Alberta, Canada....home of the largest (and also 3rd largest) inner-city parks in the world....no RC flying within city limits.

Fortunately for me, I live in a 'burb only 15km outside of Calgary, and as far as I know there is no by-law about RC models. But also to my favour, I am 200m from the city limit and the neighbouring farm field.
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:30 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast View Post
here we have mount nebo it a cemetery with a rc airstrip long ago people around the world came and fly autogyro
I've been to Mt. Nebo several times. Mostly stick to the MCRCC Field in Monroe County though.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:01 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
btown2 maybe we have share the runway before at nebo .
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined May 2012
416 Posts
Here in Denton Tx, the city actually likes our planes being part of the attraction to the city park. We get spectators nearly every weekend.
4bangen is offline Find More Posts by 4bangen