HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
This says nothing.
United States, CA, Sonoma
Joined Jun 2012
273 Posts
Help!
Why are DLGs so expensive and where can I get a Beginner DLG

Where can I get a beginner DLG that is not extremely expencive? Why are they so expencive?
benjamin presten is offline Find More Posts by benjamin presten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My twin boom tail 60" V3...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:25 AM
Saint Peters, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
37 Posts
If you can build then checkout the Qf2 from Mountain Models or the Gambler from Wright RC. They are both build up two channel DLG's which supposedly fly well.
Chevalier is offline Find More Posts by Chevalier
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:28 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
I believe MM still kit's the DL-50, I've had 2-3 and learned DL and had alot of fun too.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:55 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
THIS is the least expensive option I know of for a "real" DLG of regulation size and performance. While not a competition winner at the highest level, it will launch much higher and range much farther than the smaller ones mentioned above (those are good planes and a lot of fun, but don't approach the performance of a true DLG).

DLGs are so expensive because they aren't like other production rc aircraft, made by the thousands in factories. Each DLG is a labor of love built in home shops and garages by their designers, one at a time by hand. Many hours of careful and skilled labor go into it. Also, high tech materials that are strong enough and light enough to make them perform properly are very expensive (carbon fiber, Kevlar, etc.). Same for tooling and molds. But the payback they give in pure enjoyment is worth every penny! As a bonus, they are nearly impossible to destroy (easy to damage but also easy to fix), and hold their value extremely well. You can recoup most of your cost when the time comes to sell. They are an "investment" that is well worth it.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:47 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Denmark, Region Zealand, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
I'll give a thumps up to Nike M.
this answer says what's needed, and the suggested model also worhty as an intromodel, not expensive, but flies relatively good.
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:21 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
I'll second everything Mike (like.2.fly) said. It wasn't until I started building my own DLGs that I realized just why they're so expensive. Materials for DLGs like lightweight carbon fiber fabrics are ridiculously expensive. BTW, if you're looking to save money then building your own isn't the route to take. By the time you have all the tooling and materials needed you could have simply bought several DLGs for the same cost. Then you have to consider that it will take you around 10 tries before you can make anything that even remotely resembles the quality you get from just buying. I don't know if you were considering that route, but many do thinking it'll save money and I want to make sure you understand that it won't.

Welcome to the addiction!

B
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
There is also this one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691355

I haven't built it yet but its in the queue. Basic built up wing and then you can buy a pod and boom from any number of builders here on rcgroups for less than a $100.

For an ARF go with the Versus listed above or the TopSky 1.0. They really are nice DLG's that wont break the bank.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Last edited by Pickle72; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:52 AM
This says nothing.
United States, CA, Sonoma
Joined Jun 2012
273 Posts
thank you guys for the help if you have anymore ideas please post them.
benjamin presten is offline Find More Posts by benjamin presten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My twin boom tail 60" V3...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:00 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Have a look at the BlackJack by graham1234. Probably the best entry level DLG and great value for money.
DLGJunky is offline Find More Posts by DLGJunky
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
From the reports I've read it sounds like his Karisma is an excellent choice as well and it costs the same.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
Sdr
Scott R
Joined Oct 2004
192 Posts
For anybody looking to get into DLG I suggest buying used. Planes that are simply not cutting edge anymore can be had at a reasonable price. Plus you typically get a ship that is receiver ready and tuned by somebody with experience. Bought my first one used and glad I did.

Post a want ad in the sailplane classifieds here on RCG and I'm sure you'll get plenty responses.
Sdr is offline Find More Posts by Sdr
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:48 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
THIS is the least expensive option I know of for a "real" DLG of regulation size and performance. While not a competition winner at the highest level, it will launch much higher and range much farther than the smaller ones mentioned above (those are good planes and a lot of fun, but don't approach the performance of a true DLG).

DLGs are so expensive because they aren't like other production rc aircraft, made by the thousands in factories. Each DLG is a labor of love built in home shops and garages by their designers, one at a time by hand. Many hours of careful and skilled labor go into it. Also, high tech materials that are strong enough and light enough to make them perform properly are very expensive (carbon fiber, Kevlar, etc.). Same for tooling and molds. But the payback they give in pure enjoyment is worth every penny! As a bonus, they are nearly impossible to destroy (easy to damage but also easy to fix), and hold their value extremely well. You can recoup most of your cost when the time comes to sell. They are an "investment" that is well worth it.
All top the line competition Rc world class is expensive same with everything in this world.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:18 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin presten View Post
thank you guys for the help if you have anymore ideas please post them.
Where are you located?
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:13 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
All top the line competition Rc world class is expensive same with everything in this world.
That's true. Its seems that in the DLG world, we have very few models available that fall in between the top of the line and the bottom. And the price range for the middle of the road ones is still pretty steep. Compare a middle of the line DLG to that of a middle of the line helicopter. It's about the same. I know why it is that way but it can be a pretty bitter pill to swallow for a newbie that just wants to give this aspect of the hobby a try.

I agree with what Scott said above. Newbies should buy used. Generally buying used gets you a fairly good plane for a fairly good price, comparatively speaking.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:21 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,926 Posts
I think the Elf is the best intro to DLG. The Elf is so simple to build, doesn't require a complex radio or programming, is so easy to fly, and yet still has a great performance in winds up to 8mph.

I sell it to newbies in preference to more expensive planes because they are more likely to be successful, and become happy, repeat, customers.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton