SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by V-Man, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Discussion
Peter Rake's Albatross DII

Though you might like to see this. I'm assembling the kit for a clubmate (he will cover and paint it).

Only the forward section is glued, the rest is just dry-fitted to check for accuracy while the front dries. Liberal use of the T-square to make sure that everything is straight. Nicely laser-cut kit. The lightening holes are mine, though (saved 1.2oz). That's the weight of the servos, not bad!

The tail outline is ready, I'm keeping it on the foam pattern for protection. I'm going to sand and frame it up once the fuselage is out of the way.

Went to couple of hardware stores and they don't have 3.75" O-rings in stock. Will have to check plumbing supplies places or find an alternate way of doing the wheels.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Last edited by V-Man; Feb 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:22 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Bottom frame is done, I got started on the rudder. The planking worries me a bit.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:34 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Horizontal stabiliser for the Albatross DII biplane. That, or I got my blueprints mixed up again and I'm making a pair of snowshoes.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:49 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Tail group images. Once varnished and covered, it should be really nice. Hopefully the rest of the plane will be, too.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:56 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
I got started on the lower body planking and let me tell you that's a bitch and a half! What you see in the picture took nearly two hours. Not many straight lines on each panel...

I finally got a technique that seems to work, but don't look too closely at the joints of the first few panels, they are not so nice. Scissors against the grain, sharp knife with, sanding block to finish. Will definitely need another plank for the sides.

I also made the UC and CS mounts. I added a balsa strip to increase the gluing surface and ensure that the tubes are straight. Only need to wrap them and secure with epoxy.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:20 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
UC and CS mounts are wrapped and epoxied in place with 30-min glue. They are not on the plans but I added gussets to help distribute landing forces on the formers.

I've also started the nose block with some chunks of 1/2" plank I had around. Have to wait for it to dry before I add more layers. I try to preshape each as much as possible to reduce the shaping time and waste.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:47 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Got started on the LG. That size of wire is a pain in the butt to bend! Took my almost half an hour to set up and do the bits shown on the picture. But at least they are straight and flat. Bought a new wire cutter just for this project, was worth it!

(I read an in-depth article on heat-treating wire, but I have neither the torch nor the facilities to do this. Cold-bending is all I can do.)

And there's another issue: I measured the LG parts on the plan and they total around 38" of wire (10"+6.5"x2+7.5"x2). And of course, wire is sold in 36" length... I'll see if I have that size of wire in my stocks, else we'll need another one.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:57 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Done with the wire bending, got started on the wings. I wasn't sure about the basswood trailing edges at first but now that they are sanded, I see the advantage! Really thin trailing edge yet still solid.

We may have located some suitable O-rings for the wheels. Let's cross our fingers and hope they are nice!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:00 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Upper wing is being assembled. The sheeting is ready to the side, beside the glue bottle. You can see the beginning of the cowling block at the upper left corner of the picture.

Wing is somewhat fragile -- broke a couple of ribs while sanding, and I'm not done yet. May add tiny gussets to help distribute the load.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:39 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Work in progress. Around 14oz so far, missing the lower wings, wheels, covering and electronics.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:29 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Added lower wings and started sanding an airfoil shape into the hardwood struts.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:21 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Rather than double-post, I'll put new pictures in the build thread. More visibility that way.