HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Discussion
Lifting body/Wing Build

How many have experience with the lifting body, and or blended wing designs?

I have seen a few of them.

My plan is a based on already tried ideas. It will be powered by a 64mm EDF

Currently the lifting surface has an area of 30.2 dm^2 (or 3.25 ft^2)

It will have available space for 2x 4s 200mah baatterys. It will use two different battery compartments, one further forward, one more rearward (for single battery use, and parallel)

The first prototype will be as stated above, with tri gear fixed landing gear, and an incidence of 5 degrees (as compared to flat ground)

I am estimating about 5mm of reflex in elevons (possible more)

This design is just a first prototype. If this proves to be succesful I will scale it up by 25-30% add dual 70mm EDF, and retracts.

Questions, comments, or ideas?
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Last edited by Jwmflying14; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Pictures!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:36 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,391 Posts
This is the Martian Spaceship. It's a design from the 1950s. It's one of the most successful lifting body design for model airplanes. It started out as a free flight design but has been converted to control line and RC.

Martian Spaceship Video #1 (1 min 40 sec)

Search RCGroups and you'll find several build threads with plans.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:20 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,631 Posts
Here's one I just completed recently...
BWB at club Flight 1 12 13 (2 min 18 sec)
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Here is an update

So I am currently planning on 2x 64mm fans on 3s x2 2200mah batts in parallel. In the future I may do a 70mm fan, with more power

Currently the fuse is drying, plenty of room for batteries, a pretty strong boxed in Nose gear platform.

You can see the additional braces in the fuse.

The top covering will take a bit of work getting it just right, however it is getting close.

So far this design only takes 1 sheet of MPF, however it will take 1 1/4 by the time I sheet the wings. Not too bad.

It would take more if you do the whole bottom outline in one piece, this is why I used the edges of the sheet and glued it at the center. Realistically with all the other work going on, a line down the center isn't creating any weak point.

Enjoy the pics.

PS, the 90* wedges in the "battery bay" are not permanent, they are just pin'd in to hold the sides vertical. If you imagine it with the wedges removed you can see just how much space is there =]
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Update!

Currently the fuselage is glued down to the outline/wing/bottom panel. Ribs are dry/drying, and the forward fuse, as well as the wing panels have been cut out and rolled to fit.

I am awaiting the install of components before sealing the deal. The end result will be a completely sealed plane, except for the battery compartment.

It will have 3 fixed gear (or the prototype), and 3 servos in an elevon configuration with the extra servo for nose wheel steering.

The current power system will be a x2 64mm fan on 3s 2200mah x2 in parallel. The fuselage should provide the extra lift and wing area to overcome the large-ish power-system.

So far the inlet will be 100% FSA, and exhaust will be 85%. Exhaust will be loosely based on the design of the F-117 with a wide and short opening. It will incorporate an internal wedge to help counteract the downward exhaust angle. The placement of fan and intake should help takeoff roll by producing extra lift over the forward fuse.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Oh, and you better believe I will be painting it white on top with black on the bottom, spacecraft like!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Another update;

Working on installing main LG, redesigned intake and ducting.

No new glue, just got everything dry fitted.