SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Discussion
Need help adding to my HK cart...

Please see my post @ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1819984 if you can help a newb...

Thanks!
spoinkster is offline Find More Posts by spoinkster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:26 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
You got a lot of parts you should never need, but that's OK, you can use them in the next plane. The ESC and servos will last a long time and I have yet to break a glider prop. looks like you are good to go.

If you are in the US, misc parts can be picked up from headsuprc with $2 shipping.

Have fun....... a glider like that will stay up a long time with only occasional motor use to get it back to altitude. You should get at least 30 min flying with one battery.

Oh, ordering lipo's from HK is iffy these days due to postal regulations. If you are in the US I'd suggest ordering them from:

headsuprc.com
hobbypartz.com
http://www.chinahobbyline.com/
http://www.haiyinstore.com

All have US warehouses, or use the HK USA warehouse for batteries.

ps - I see you are north of me a bit so all the USA comments apply.

Additionally, don't any include backordered items in you order as they will hold everything till the backordered items come in which might be awhile. And use PayPal to make the purchase.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Wow looks like a good start! Like hoppy said, back ordered items can take a while. Also, always be careful with wall adapters for using lipo chargers. They often times cannot supply enough juice and can cause problems but as long as you keep the charge rate low, you should be fine. You are going to love your bixler!

Edit// It also never hurts to have spare battery connectors, servo extensions, heat shrink and even a lipo bag wouldnt hurt.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:50 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
Each battery supplier uses a different connector (or so it seems), so ordering a dozen from HK of your favorite makes sense.

Generally, most motors to ESC use 3.5mm connectors. I'd get a set of those.
PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC)

And some Silicone Wire, 16ga red and black
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 16AWG (1mtr) Red

Shrink tubing, a meter of 2, 3, 4, and 5mm (Like Turnigy 4mm Heat Shrink Tube - RED (1mtr)) One of red and one of black if you want to keep color code.

Battery connectors - Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs) GENUINE
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
Wow looks like a good start! Like hoppy said, back ordered items can take a while. Also, always be careful with wall adapters for using lipo chargers. They often times cannot supply enough juice and can cause problems but as long as you keep the charge rate low, you should be fine. You are going to love your bixler!

Edit// It also never hurts to have spare battery connectors, servo extensions, heat shrink and even a lipo bag wouldnt hurt.
Thanks! Great advise on the connectors. I've heard about issues on the fiberglass getting every where with the charging bags so I was planning on using a spare (plastic coated) safe I have laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Each battery supplier uses a different connector (or so it seems), so ordering a dozen from HK of your favorite makes sense.

Generally, most motors to ESC use 3.5mm connectors. I'd get a set of those.
PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC)

And some Silicone Wire, 16ga red and black
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 16AWG (1mtr) Red

Shrink tubing, a meter of 2, 3, 4, and 5mm (Like Turnigy 4mm Heat Shrink Tube - RED (1mtr)) One of red and one of black if you want to keep color code.

Battery connectors - Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs) GENUINE
Awesome. I have access to 3M shrink tubing at work. Can speaker wire be used for this type of application or do I need to stick with silicone wire?
spoinkster is offline Find More Posts by spoinkster
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:53 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
Any kind of wire can be used, but the flexibility and resistance to breaking from bending makes the Silicone wire much more desirerable for the battery to ESC connection.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:23 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkster View Post
Thanks! Great advise on the connectors. I've heard about issues on the fiberglass getting every where with the charging bags so I was planning on using a spare (plastic coated) safe I have laying around.

Awesome. I have access to 3M shrink tubing at work. Can speaker wire be used for this type of application or do I need to stick with silicone wire?
After a ton of use, my lipo bags start to do this. Occasional use like charging at the field, fly ins etc. seems to be fine. They are cheap enough to replace though. As long as you have some sort of fire protection, you should be good
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:03 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
Be careful about using any old lipo bag, many of them are worthless for protection.
Here's some test data.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=14