HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Discussion
Enya .60 III w/ G style carb...?

I've recently acquired a NIB Enya .60 III from another forum member. When I bought I didn't think twice about the fact the "muffler" (butterfly style linked to the carb arm) not having any sort of pressure going to the tank. I can't find any good info on this engine either and the manual says nothing about this either. So my question is; with a bleed air carb, will it still draw fuel into the carb at idle or do I need to look for some way to plug the muffler bar holes and find a muffler to fit it?

A friend of mine has the same engine but his holes are plugged and it was drilled and tapped for a standard muffler. But since he bought it used out of someone scrap box, we don't know where to get the plugs from.
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:18 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,075 Posts
Back in those days mufflers weren't used and the carbs were small enough for good fuel draw without any pressure to the tank. But even today with muffler pressure (needed because the carbs are now too large for good fuel draw at full throttle) all carbs, whether air bleed or not, still draw fuel at idle because at idle there's virtually no muffler pressure at all. You can find a couple of tests on the 60-III here.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

I was thinking the same thing but my friend put the doubt in my mind that it would need the pressure. I was thinking of venting a line to the atmosphere high above the tank so it doesn't create a vacum inside the tank. Would this be the correct thing to do?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Sep 2003
3,075 Posts
All tanks have a vent line, mostly this is connected to the muffler but in your case just stops somewhere just above the top of the tank to avoid syphoning. The simplest set up would be to have two vent lines that both bend up inside the tank to the highest point in the tank. That way you can fill the tank through either line and when the tank is full the fuel will squirt out of the other line. It's best to have a bit of seperation between the two ends inside the tank or fuel coming in can splash over to the venting line and get lost.

A better set up is to use what's called a Uniflow tank. With this you have a vent line that has some thin walled fuel tube and either has a clunk attached to the end of the tubing or is tied to the feed clunk so the end of the Uniflow line follows the fuel feed clunk like when you go inverted. You fill through this Uniflow line and vent the tank while it's filling through a third line which must be blanked off after filling because the tank has to be absolutely leak free. With a Uniflow tank you won't get any change in mixture settings from full to empty.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I will set it up like that let you know how it goes.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:51 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
911 Posts
For running an engine with no muffler pressure I really like the Uniflow set up that Downunder described. An old Saito 45 was giving me trouble leaning out late in the flight, but after I installed a Uniflow set up the problem disappeared and I could run the engine right to the last drop.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
The only thing I can find on the uniflow tank deals WITH a pressure line. So how do I set one of these up w/o running a pressure line exactly? The explination just confused me as to what goes where and why. I'm a visual person so I've been trying to find diagrams or pictures of this set up, but again they all have pressure lines going into the tanks.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Does anyone know if a Perry carb will work on this engine?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
911 Posts
Here ya go...

http://www.fraserker.com/heli/uniflo...flow_works.htm
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2003
3,075 Posts
Uniflow tanks work just the same whether with pressure or without. To work w/o pressure, the vent line from the tank that would normally get connected to the muffler is left open to atmosphere but fit a short length of tubing to make it easier to fill the tank. The photo shows my unpressurised Uniflow. The blanked tube is the vent while filling and the other of course is the end of the Uniflow line which is used to fill the tank. It's best to have that end facing forwards into the airflow.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:06 AM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
Ah I see now, thank you sir. The line facing into the air stream is smart and I will do the same. I've gotta run hard lines from the fuel bay so I'll just make it a snorkel.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:21 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16DCC View Post
Does anyone know if a Perry carb will work on this engine?
Yes quite a few people have put Perry carbs on the engines. You need to measure the hole the carb fits in to ensure the right one, but it is likely a Perry 1100 or 1500 carb that would work. The Perry carbs are made it a large number of sizes to fit most anything.
www.perrypumps.com/prod01.htm
They do have a quick list of carbs that fit various Enya engines too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:52 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
>
>
>
A better set up is to use what's called a Uniflow tank. With this you have a vent line that has some thin walled fuel tube and either has a clunk attached to the end of the tubing or is tied to the feed clunk so the end of the Uniflow line follows the fuel feed clunk like when you go inverted. You fill through this Uniflow line and vent the tank while it's filling through a third line which must be blanked off after filling because the tank has to be absolutely leak free. With a Uniflow tank you won't get any change in mixture settings from full to empty.
I hope we will not get into another uniflow tank discussion like we had a while ago and resulted in no specific proof of any advantages nor into how it functions.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I still haven't had time to set up my tank because more issues with building the airframe keep coming up. However, I was thinking that if my clunk for the vent line is submerged; wont it create bubbles and make the feed line suck in air, or when the engine dies the fuel will have a reverse flow effect and push out the vent line? Don't mean to start a war like stated above, I'm just curious.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Sep 2003
3,075 Posts
So long as the end of the Uniflow line is around 1/2" shorter than the feed line clunk it's far enough away that any bubbles can't make it into the feed line because they go straight up through the fuel. Because of the way Uniflow works, the pressure inside a tank without muffler pressure is always a tiny fraction below ambient air pressure so there's no reversal of fuel flow when the engine stops.