HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Help!
free flight guillow #503

I have recently picked up a guillow kit#503 and would love to turn it into an electric ff. I had a motor already picked out but it was drawing way too much current for my lipo. It was suggested to me that I use a parkzone ultra micro p-51's motor and gearbox/battery set up, however i want this to be completely free flight and I don't know about a timer, low volt etc... I found from a few years ago a thread about a home job from an AleG but didn't know how to contact, not even when I joined here. If anyone can program a microprocessor like the one he has would be greatly appreciated or where to get one programed. Assistance of any kind would be most appreciated. I left the kit to guillow specs thinking that with ff it wouldn't matter.
mr.t newbie is offline Find More Posts by mr.t newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:49 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
The 503 Hellcat flies well on rubber power if some of the wood is removed to lighten up the weight...the design is sound.

Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
I've done so many of those with rubber power and they do fly well especially when you sand the parts thinner as I have done with this one. I used to build these ones as a kid cause the local 5 n 10 had them for pretty cheap and hey I was a kid who loved to build models. But taking this to an electric free flight was always something I wanted to do then and still do and now with all of these new gadgets that are available it sounds more interesting but I don't know what to get.
mr.t newbie is offline Find More Posts by mr.t newbie
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,729 Posts
If you can find some of the old Gravity Hobby FF kits or perhaps some of the Harbor Freight FF kits- why not just scavenge the motor systems out of them? They'll use nicads instead of lipos, but it's a lot easier to "borrow" a power system than come up with your own. If you've got to do the lipo thing- then try the Atomic Workshop here: http://www.atomicworkshop.co.uk/cata...index&cPath=66

I decided that if I was going to get into that level of electronics, I'd just stick a radio in it instead!

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,093 Posts
I think BSD Micro (bsdmicrorc.com) carries the kind of stuff you can use if you want a digital timer, little brushless motor, etc. But it will end up much more expensive than something from Harbor Freight. Maybe the Park Zone battery and motor but a timer from BSD? He doesn't put much of the way of description in his listings, so you'll probably have to call or write him to get explanations.

If this is similar to the old Guillow kits, do not drop it on your foot! I have measured 23 lb. "balsa" in a Guillow kit. OTOH, maybe they've reformed You might want to copy at least some of the parts in lighter wood..
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member