HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:00 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
What's so hard about removing a few stitches? Ain't nothing to a grizzled old puck.
Oh, I may have said that wrong....Stitches on my wife that is, I'd pass out if they were on me
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:02 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
The actual alignment, especially after a tierod replacement, isn't a scam. A redneck alignment may be good enough to get you to the alignment shop, but as was mentioned, if you spent any significant amount of money on your tires, it's well worth it.

FWIW, I think 94 Impalas handle like a boat, even after they are properly aligned.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:02 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
^ See? I rest my case. Easier to pull stitches. Maybe even easier to put in stitches.
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:06 PM
The solution for phone privacy
United States, OK
Joined Aug 2003
1,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
The actual alignment, especially after a tierod replacement, isn't a scam. A redneck alignment may be good enough to get you to the alignment shop, but as was mentioned, if you spent any significant amount of money on your tires, it's well worth it.

FWIW, I think 94 Impalas handle like a boat, even after they are properly aligned.
I will be doing my balljoints at home one side per day. I will rough it in with a tape measure, but the first stop is the alignment rack... Tires went up in price a bunch over the last 2 years.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:13 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Oh, I may have said that wrong....Stitches on my wife that is, I'd pass out if they were on me
I've removed stitches on my person a bunch of times, but like I say, I'm an old-time puck and have had lots of stitches over the years. It grossed the wife out when I did it, but hey, she knew she what she was marrying and liked the physique I had.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:15 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
Yep, and they find stuff on every subsequent alignment too. That said, if you do find a shop you trust, alignments are worth what you pay.
^^^THIS^^^

Of course finding the shop you can trust is a huge hurdle.

Bought tires from Sears, so I figured I'd get it aligned too - usually not an issue. Took it out and it pulled left, took it back to the shop to fix it, got it back, and it still pulled left. Took it back and it pulled right - in fact, I could complete a turn, albeit quite wide, in the empty parking lot next to the store. I ended up demanding and getting a refund and took the vehicle to an actual shop where they got it right the first time.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:22 PM
The solution for phone privacy
United States, OK
Joined Aug 2003
1,531 Posts
I have only had sticthes once...

I was rebuilding a Toyota 5 speed for a truck... A trans they made only 2 years so they had me do the rebuild in house. One operation takes 3 hands but no one was loose so I figured I would use high temp bearing grease to hold a part for a bit while working with getting the main and cluster shafts in place... the gear I had the grease holding was sharpend a bit from wear but it was a reverse gear and still very servicable.... it slid down and got me 5 stitches worth...

4 hour wait in the ER for the right thumb...

On returning to the shop I was given the new guy as a pair of hands and talked him through the assembly...

I hate stitches, it worse then the getting the darned cut.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
as a mechanic I def would get an alignment. without, your tires and all those party you are going to be replacing will wear out prematurely. its like getting a new tire without having it balanced it vibes bad.
mr.t newbie is offline Find More Posts by mr.t newbie
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg View Post
My 1994 Impala started to handle like a boat and when I got her in the air I noticed a blown tie rod..
I wonder why, could it be that right boot in the picture is halfway missing ?.

Quote:
After looking at the rest I decided to replace all the steering components .. I plan to do springs ,ball joints, shocks and sway bars soon.

Go for the polyurethane end links and bushings, if you can find them for a boat that big. It's makes the cornering better, and tightens up the steering response so you don't loose grip on the helm as she's leaning from port to starboard.

The Blues Brothers - the bluesmobile (0 min 49 sec)
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:09 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,121 Posts
I'd forget about the profesional alignment. I would match up the length of the old parts the best you can. Then do the shade tree alignment. Do a test drive to see how it drives. keep an eye on tire wear to see if addition adjustment is needed.
Reasons for this are your tires are probably trashed anyway. Also, a precise alignment is not possible with the rest of the suspension worn out. I'd wait until the other worn parts are replaced. Unless you never intend to replace them.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,327 Posts
You can set Toe in drive way, but Caster /Camber you can not. Camber will affect inner/outer tires by leaning to far on them, Caster will help car go straight and wheel straighten out better when set in specs. Caster also helps with road crown. Also, you align the front to the rear.... if you ever seen a car go down the road and its crabbing, Rear end is messed up, either bent frame or just way out of alignment. At the price of tires, I would do it,I used to do it for a living, only one in the area that could keep Ford trucks from eating tires....
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:27 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,327 Posts
One more thing, center and block steering wheel before you set toe, hate a crooked wheel...and fighting turn signal switch is a pain...
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by fh64_lucky; Jan 28, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post

It's just about time to do both the upper and lower ball joints in my F250 Super Duty... the parts are about $25 each or about $100... If I had to pay labor I would cry. Just under 6 hours at shop rate... Labor only $550.00 including alignment... $100 out the door sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
No body EVER touches my 69 Chevelle SS.

I had the same basic GM A-body car, a 71 Skylark.

Re-did the front suspension myself when I was around 22 or so.

New lower ball joints, new bushings, new tie rods, new shocks, and new sway bar links and bushings.

Took the lower A-arms out the whole way, removed the ball joints with a sledgehammer, and a friend of my dad pressed the new ball joints into the A-arms with a small hydraulic press and a deepwell socket
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
You can set Toe in drive way, but Caster /Camber you can not.
I beg to differ.

You can set toe, caster, and camber on a curb if you parallel park like some people do.

As a matter of fact I've seen it myself, there was a guy at work that had 1/2 a wheel cover on his front wheel.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:44 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Go for the polyurethane end links and bushings, if you can find them for a boat that big. It's makes the cornering better, and tightens up the steering response so you don't loose grip on the helm as she's leaning from port to starboard.
haha The Impala is the first car I've had to jack up to see under it IMO it handles real well. Most of the rubber under the car is in good shape. I probably could have gotten away with just replacing that tie rod. I've got less than a half inch of play in the wheel now.
Skrogg is online now Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!