HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:20 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,448 Posts
Next Hot Question

Some of the running rigging needs to be replaced, lots if wear, I have checked most of the fishing stores in the area but none have the 80# braided dacron line. I cant imagine why in the state of Iowa, they wouldn't, and buying from the net is scary as you never know what your going to get. (I also don't need 600 yards of it) Anyone out there willing to sell me about 100" feet of the stuff? Pic is what was on the boat. set screw is an 8/32. I have a seawind that could stand re-rigging also
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:34 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,316 Posts
Robert PM me your mailing address and I will send you what you need.

Manny
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:44 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,377 Posts
I have some Berkley Gorilla Tough Braid 80lb

Brutally tough and extremely strong. Stronger and thinner than Dacron braids and twice the strength of monofilament, with half the diameter and virtually no stretch. This long lasting sinking braid also is easy on rod guides and reels. A tremendous value compared to other braided lines in its class.

It's black & white.
PM me your mailing address and I will send 20 feet.

Don
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:19 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,448 Posts
O-m #419

Well
I have been communicating with the one meter class secretary and he did some checking. This is what he found out about it.

"OK.... I think t's an ORCO Skinny, designed by Lloyd (Swede) Johnson of Costa Mesa, California. Swede is no longer active. If so. it was originally registered by Jan Warren of Brighton, Michigan in 1988 (no longer active). The sail number (419) has been re-issued. I'm pretty sure the O-M means "One Meter," but I've never heard of it being used on a sticker. Interesting...."
Very Interesting.
Bob
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
239 Posts
The boat you have is not an Orco Skinny. They all looked basically like tubes. Perhaps the sails came from a Swede Johnson boat, the hull isn't his. The designation "O M" is likely for "Olympic One Meter" the original name of the US One Meter Class. The class name was changed when it was realized that permission was needed to use the designation "Olympic". Also, it is likely that your boat was either home built or home modified. None of the commercially produced AMYA class boats came with a wooden keel as seen in your pictures. They were either carbon, fiberglass or aluminum. The hull from the pictures looks a little like a Mistal from Bob Debow which was the basis of the ODOM and is also available for home builders as a set of plans.
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Feb 13, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:18 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,150 Posts
Agree it looks like an ODOM hull Mistral not a skinny Swede is old now and to my understanding he is in a nursing home.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:17 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,448 Posts
Sailboat

Ok I agree it is a sailboat! LOL LOL
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 PM
USA, VA, Powhatan
Joined Nov 2010
47 Posts
It does look a lot like a Mistral - here's a shot of my vintage US1M Mistral.
Fox
foxwyck is offline Find More Posts by foxwyck
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:54 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,448 Posts
Sailboat

The boat above looks to have much straighter sides than mine. This looks more rounded like a soling only the keel is different and it is a glass hull. Here are a few pictures of inside and the keel.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,316 Posts
Olympic One Meter was the name of US1M before they had to change the name for legal reasons. ORCO Skinny was one version of Swedes boat as well as ORCO Hotdog. ORCO standing for Orange County. THere have been varios versions of ORCO boats including 36/600. Marbleheads, and Footys. I have pics of a few different versions as well as a Mistral a US1m that was used to launch the ODOM class.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:29 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,448 Posts
Sailboat

The red one looks very close
Bob
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
The red one looks very close
Bob
That red one as old as she is still sails well.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:33 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
You know it doesn't bother me that it is 30 years old or there about. it is still a nice sailboat and it will bring me hours of fun, even if it is not competive with todays sailboats. No one in our club has the latest and greatest but that is ok as it is still fun to chase the roming trophy. Even though I won it last year and havent been able to display it yet. (Long Story) LOL
Bob
You Know I have considered the whole thing with not having gotten the trophy after winning the sailing regotta last year fairly funny. No big deal, I know who won. Anyway this morning our club president called me and said he had a suprize for me. Well I now have in my itty bitty hands the traveling trophy. I mean to tell you I think thats FUNNY. Now what?, Im hoping the renovations to our lake dont present a problem with the sailboats this year. because I AM GOING TO TAKE IT HOME FOR ANOTHER YEAR! SO THERE! Game On Boys.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:49 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,359 Posts
Here are the lines of an ORCO 2 by Swede.

[URL="http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/pdf/us1morco2.pdf"]
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:21 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
Bob, lexan is heavy stuff. Be careful of weight aft. Maybe light ply and don't be afraid to cut lightening holes in it. If the corner of the transom sits in the water there is a lot of drag.
The boat looks nice and the Ace radio makes the deal extra sweet. You will have a good time getting this vintage 1M back in saling/racing trim. The boats are fun and fast. I built the US 1M Lona from plans and raced it for several years. I also have an ODOM and enjoy sailing that boat as well.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave