HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:10 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
Sailboat

Oh what a cluster. The fedex driver wouldn't pick the boxes up because the shipping labels were out dated
After discussing the matter with fedex a call tag was issued to pick the boxes up tommorrow. What a pain. You would have thought that the desk people at fedex where I dropped the box for shipping would have told me the labels wouldn't work as I told them what I was doing. Too easy. Now I know it doesn't work that way and I promise not to try it again.
Bob
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:02 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
WOO HOO Sailboat is here

Ok the lake is still frozen but Im excited. Best buy I have made for $50.00!!!
Now I need to figure out what it is. 38 &3/8" x 8 & 1/4" roughly 78 inches from keel to mast head. Ace nautical comander with two recievers and directions. It needs a little tlc but not much. Sails appear to be mylar but not sure, Here are pictures. If anyone recognizes it pipe up. Fiberglass hull with wooden ribs rudder and keel stem are layered, carbon fiber mast
Thanks Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
900 Posts
It sure looks like an older US One Meter boat to me. Very cool, enjoy. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:35 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
Sails

Can the sails be safely ironed?
Bob
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Ironing sails

Neither mylar nor woven dacron sails take kindly to heat. The best one can do is hang them up by the heads with absolutely no tension other than their own weight (disconnect them from mast and booms) in a south facing window. The incoming sunlight will heat and relax the material, but actual creases are there to stay and cannot be removed to give a smooth aerodynamically clean surface. Creased sail material is more like creasing sheet metal in that the material stretches on the outside of the crease and cannot be shrunk back in a regular way that reverses the crease.
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:16 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
ironing sails

Thanks I have some time to wait so I'll give that a try.
I just tried the radio and it works but I am going to replace it anyway. I just did a mod on a hitec 805 servo to make it go 180 degrees so I will be using it for the sheets. I believe I will make a copy of the radio plate out of lexan so the whole thing switches out with what is there.
Bob
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:53 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
926 Posts
Bob
looks sweet !
no ID stickers anywhere inside the hull ?
you ought to name her "peanuts" - that's what you got her for

hang onto that Ace, be great for a rescue tug TX !
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:48 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
Peanuts

Any idea of how old it may be and where might I narrow the search for a builders ID in the hull?
Bob
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:09 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,321 Posts
If the sails are original, it is possible it is a US 1 Meter design by Swede Johnson. It "could" have been built by him, by Dennis Desprois, or any other builder. Circa (if it is a Swede boat) would be early to mid 1980's, but because some of the plans are available via AMYA (US1M class site) for free, it would be hard to pin it down unless you can find the builders name on a sticker somewhere inside the hull (or under the hatch cover). Normally would be located where it could be seen while looking through the hatch.

Now, that said, "ORCO" could also stand for "Orange County" - and Swede sailed there if memory is correct. Either way, it was a good buy, worth putting some money into a refurb, but doubt that it would be competitive outside a club program since it is going on 30 years old. Just my opinion.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:50 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
Peanuts

The seller said he believed it was built by the Ann Arbor Model Sailing Club. It came from GreenBay, Wi.
Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Feb 07, 2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: edit
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
If the sails are original, it is possible it is a US 1 Meter design by Swede Johnson. It "could" have been built by him, by Dennis Desprois, or any other builder. Circa (if it is a Swede boat) would be early to mid 1980's, but because some of the plans are available via AMYA (US1M class site) for free, it would be hard to pin it down unless you can find the builders name on a sticker somewhere inside the hull (or under the hatch cover). Normally would be located where it could be seen while looking through the hatch.

Now, that said, "ORCO" could also stand for "Orange County" - and Swede sailed there if memory is correct. Either way, it was a good buy, worth putting some money into a refurb, but doubt that it would be competitive outside a club program since it is going on 30 years old. Just my opinion.
Not sure about the hull, but those sails were made by Swede. They look just like the ones on my ORCO US1M Hotdog. ORCO does stand for Orange County, If I am not mistaken Swede still sails there. Like you I also got a great deal, 40 dollars and all I did was drop in my radio and batteries. I may have the oldest and wierdest looking US1M, but she sails mid pack all day long ! My whole boat is unique and I love it !
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:02 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
Peanut

IMHO It is all about the captain! I have won against seawinds with a nirvana. Conditions do make a difference but being able to read them and work with them is what it takes to win.
Bob
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:57 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
peanuts

You know it doesn't bother me that it is 30 years old or there about. it is still a nice sailboat and it will bring me hours of fun, even if it is not competive with todays sailboats. No one in our club has the latest and greatest but that is ok as it is still fun to chase the roming trophy. Even though I won it last year and havent been able to display it yet. (Long Story) LOL
Bob
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
Label

Well
I was shaking the loose items out of the hull today and found an AMYA tag in the hull that says Amya class O-M sail #419. Guess that confirms its a one meter. Would the amya have any info on the builder or is their a place on their website I can look for it?
Bob
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
Well
I was shaking the loose items out of the hull today and found an AMYA tag in the hull that says Amya class O-M sail #419. Guess that confirms its a one meter. Would the amya have any info on the builder or is their a place on their website I can look for it?
Bob
You can contact the class secretary, he/she may be able to help. It is likely that the registration is expired but they may keep records.
seabee CE is online now Find More Posts by seabee CE