HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:55 AM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,091 Posts
More progress. I did install some ribs...I know, I know, "don't change the original design!"...but I feel it couldn't be helped at my current building skills level. Hoping that the ribs not cut down will add to flight stability and yaw prevention in turns since the OP added small fins to his large version to aid his plane. Hot glue was used throughout the build though I feel if it flies the lift generated by the total wing surface area might negate the glue weight. The motor and esc should arrive to my LHS today. I had ordered from another source 3 weeks ago only to get an email saying it may take 45 days to get my order.....bleh. Same order from LHS in 3 days. go figure. So fingers crossed on the power train.

Other thoughts on this project....I may have exceeded my knowledge and skills to create a successful bird with this big wing. The DTF without paper skin at this size and style of construction feels "soft" not quite mushy but definitely soft. The OP wing was right at 65" WS and appears stiff enough in flight while the later builder of the EDF version had a swoopy and soft flappy looking wing behavior on his bird. Mine feels stiff enough around the mid section and rib location areas but floppy out towards the tips.

The MIT-KID's scaled down daedalus model and anyone who successfully crafts indoor duration planes has really increased my respect for those builders' skills. It went together fairly straightforward - I mean it's only 4 pieces of flat foam, some bends and hot glue - but still it was much larger and unwieldy due to my inexperience.

So here's the pics. Just snapped them hurriedly with the phone this am before running out the door to the office.

So hopefully, I get a call from my LHS and will pick up some servo extensions along with the motor and esc to do the hardware install this weekend and maybe glide tests. We'll see. If it flies and performs half as well as hoped for, I will build another as I thought about building two at the same time just for the gain in experience.

Steve
Steve 0 is online now Find More Posts by Steve 0
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:15 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Looks good.I can't comment too much,having never attempted this apart from chuck gliders,the only thing that springs to mind is where the cords turn.Any plans to stiffen it a bit around that area?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:53 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,091 Posts
Doh!!!! ( smacks forehead!,... Hard!) Leading edge of wing gets CF spar for stiffener. Came to me while running an errand today. Will apply tonight.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:41 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
Doh!!!! ( smacks forehead!,... Hard!) Leading edge of wing gets CF spar for stiffener. Came to me while running an errand today. Will apply tonight.
I get lots of those"homer"momentsLuckily mostly beforehand
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:35 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,651 Posts
Steve - I haven't been following your thread, but saw a post and took a look.

A flying wing with with such a huge amount of camber is going to take a lot - really a lot - of up elevon to balance the nose-down pitching tendency caused by that curvature. Make sure you get some well trimmed glides before you put a prop on it. I recommend very high grass for those first attempts.
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:40 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,091 Posts
Thanks, Herk, you can bet on it. Looking and thinking on it....your comment makes me believe I'll be cutting or heat removing those ribs and flattening out the camber by quite a bit before I even glide test it. Like I mentioned earlier ....my severe case of "noob-itis" is easily exacerbated by high levels of eager enthusiasm.
Last edited by Steve 0; Feb 01, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:01 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,651 Posts
On the thread that gave you the inspiration - the guy showed a side view of his model that indicated how much twist he had in the wing. Twist like that will help balance the camber.

From that same photo and some others, you can also get an idea of how much up elevon he had trimmed in. Of course getting a similar result depends on having the CG in the right place.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:54 PM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,348 Posts
Steve O, any progress to report? I was intriged by your "angulated" airfoil construction and thought it would be good for turbulated slow flight.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:18 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,091 Posts
Well...I picked up a little RTF Super Cub and kept looking for small windows of flying time....and back burnered it. Plus I put two high wing trainers on the build table. One is Frankenplane, the other Bulletproof.

I have the airframe ready and will clear the high wing trainers off the build table to do some final assembly on it. I need to build a motor and ESC/RX mount under the nose. Install the servos with the 24" ext. and go for the glide tests to get the CG. I think I may be over my head experience wise on this. The UC wing may end up being super pitchy.

I 'll go for it and report the results.

Thanks for the interest.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:56 AM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,091 Posts
Progress! a little. Installed the servos with 24" extensions, ESC, Rx and battery will be last when I tackle the CG. Fired it up to ensure function. Horns and hinges tonight and first attempt at CG and maybe a glide test. Still feels floppy after glueing skewers on the LE of the wing. It might just be oversized for the DTF thickness and lack of rigidity. Or it may float like butterfly!

Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
Progress! a little. Installed the servos with 24" extensions, ESC, Rx and battery will be last when I tackle the CG. Fired it up to ensure function. Horns and hinges tonight and first attempt at CG and maybe a glide test. Still feels floppy after glueing skewers on the LE of the wing. It might just be oversized for the DTF thickness and lack of rigidity. Or it may float like butterfly!
Actually skewers on the trailing edge - out to the elevons - and well connected at the center, may add more stiffness than what you got from the ones on the leading edge.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:42 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,091 Posts
Thanks, Herk. I'll check out the stiffness. Finished at 1130 pm last night. The mid section has the two ribs, the deck and packing tape around the wing seam. It feels rigid. Only the last of the wing tips are loose. I may heat bend a pair of skewers at the same time - if I can find two that closely match in diameter, density and flex. And then inlet them into the wingtips. But then all this keeps adding weight.

And then an ARF Fokker D VII 250 arrived last night to build.