HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:04 AM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Discussion
large wing span, light, slow flying, indoor wing plans?

Hello, I posted this in the flying wing sub forum with little response and was pointed this direction for an attempt.

I'm wanting to scratch build a big ( 60" - 80" or so) slow, very light weight flying wing. Something from DTF or 3F using the least amount of materials. Strictly for calm outdoors or indoor flying. A real floater type. Anybody already been there done that? Thinking of 10 A esc, blue wonder type motor, 3.7 or 5 gr servos for the power train. Either pusher or tractor. Plans or a link would be nice so I don't re-invent this airframe.

TIA-Steve

....and the addendum....

Looking for plans for a large, light, slow flying wing in the 60-80 inch range.

Most likely a UC single layer with or w/o ribs, some dihedral and perhaps polyhedral and wingtips plus a single or double fins and the smallest CF spars to dampen flexing issues. Sounds like I'm heading to the scratch (my head) building table. Just not sure if a tractor will perform better than a pusher at the slow flight speeds planned.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:38 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,165 Posts
Here's a pretty big floater:
constant chord slope wing in flight flaps testing (1 min 56 sec)

I don't know if Paul is making detailed plans available but there is information on his blog.

--Norm
nmasters is online now Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:33 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Thanks, Norm. That is a good starting point for me.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:11 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Aachen, very western Germany
Joined Dec 2004
1,391 Posts
Reading the thread title, first thing that comes to mind is a scaled up walkalong glider.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Foam-Walkalong-Glider/

biber
biber is offline Find More Posts by biber
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:14 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biber View Post
Reading the thread title, first thing that comes to mind is a scaled up walkalong glider.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Foam-Walkalong-Glider/

biber
Now that would be something to see.

Maybe a "swiss cheese" wing along these lines,something I fancied doing myself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571140
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
DING! DING! DING! we got a winnnnnnah!

Goatzilla posted this link for me in the initial thread request under the flying wings sub-forum. So I just C&P'd it from there to here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65870

THAT is exactly the one I'm after! I knew someone must have done this at some point. Going back to 2002 to get it was a small surprise though. BIG THANKS to Goatzilla for the link and SPEED-E-FLYER (Larry) for the plane and plans!

Now on to the building table with a little less head scratching and more scratch building.

thanks for the suggestions, input, and links.

Steve

PS- the video linked in the first post of the above thread shows what I want. A BIG SLOW FLYING WING... At one point I thought the frame rate got goofy with the prop speed like you see happen in FPV videos with a spinning prop...and then I quickly realized Larry had chopped the throttle and was gliding the wing from time to time. Luv'n it!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,290 Posts
Good stuff.It's got a look of a walk along.I'll be following your build.
Stuart
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:23 AM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Yep, Larry aka SPEED-E-FLYER, started with the walk-along Air Surfer glider and went from there. I'm scaling up and printing the plans, now. Looking at his EDF version he used mid-mounted servos and a dental floss pull-pull system. On the tractor prop version he used servo extensions and mounted the servos near the wing tips with shorty control rods. I'll probably use the latter once I get all the foam and hardware parts ready for assembly and weighed. I might save a few grams using the pull-pull system. Which ever is lighter and gives me the least headache and easiest achieved CG will get the nod. Right now I have DTF and can get close to a 60" wing with that or go buy a block of Triple F to get above 60" and much close to 80+ without piecing it together. Or maybe go with the DTF and make it a 'midsection + two wings' to achieve an over 60"WS.

Back to work....

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:15 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
You might consider using Kite construction methods to get a large yet durable plane. My hang gliders are made like this, are durable and easily fold to small size for easy transport.

A few years ago I tore my Slow Stick up really bad extricating it from a tree. I made a modern style, high aspect ratio "Rogallo" type construction wing for it that flew well and was easily folded and put in a mailing tube.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,290 Posts
Steve,it's good to see you and Vince"down here" with some "out of the ordinary" ideas.
Will be watching your build with interest.
Stuart
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:04 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Thanks, Stuart. Though I'm new at this hobby- being an old man and an ArmyBrat gives me plenty of under the belt "been there done that got the tee shirt" in a lot of venues. Mostly good ones. I was very fortunate being a North Carolinian, to have attended the Centennial of Flight at Kill Devil hills in 2003 and actually flew or attempted to anyways the Wright Flyer simulator. That was eye opening. Almost everyone who laid down on it, grabbed the stick and porpoised away into a stall and back flip; me included. One of the Boy Scouts with me actually flew the sucker out quite a ways, turned and flew back.

Anyway....I printed out some 72" wing plans and will knock out a prototype out of DTF this evening to see what I'll be facing with the UC bending, wing flex and CG.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:12 AM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
Not as much progress as hoped for last night.
After the usual family dinner and biz, I taped and trimmed out both the 30” and the 72” wing plan. Then my sweet wife reminded me that Downton Abbey Season 3 DVDs arrived in the mail today and that was that for wing building. At 72” WS it will be my largest endeavor. My plan is to use a Blue Wonder type motor (tractor style), slow fly prop, 10 Amp ESC, 5 gram servos with extensions and a 450-700mah batt.

It's gonna be big.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,290 Posts
We like big!And smallAnd everything between!
I can see this will be an interesting build.
Stuart
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:12 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,849 Posts
Lurking...

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:29 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,067 Posts
So... a little more progress. Hopefully, by the weekend, I'll get much more done.

First off, I read the entire OP thread by SPEED-E-FLYER and watched all the linked videos. The EDF version was pretty slick and at times looked "porpoisey" but I think the pilot was goosing the throttle...you can see the EDF blades are static at times.

The OP thread started in Oct 2002 and wound it's course by '04 and kept going to Feb '09 when it had morphed into something different .. a hawk or some sort of bird plane. Larry had moved on.

So anyway, using the DTF, I get 2-twopiece wings out of 3 sheets. You can see the seam on the left wing. Going for the down and dirty easy build, I'm gonna hot glue it throughout.

Then I penciled in the bend marks on the paper before stripping the paper just to get the train of thought rolling. You can also maybe see some spars penciled in on one wing.

I stopped there and grabbed several foam scraps to mock up two dummy wings to experiment on. Still a noob at all this even though in the past month while learning to fly have put a dozen foamies on the wall. Some from plans...some not.

So with the 25 inch dummy wings-dang it! I made them both left instead of a pair - lol....I peeled the paper, added the mid section, pencil scored the bend lines and started considering the bending process. Lacking a heat gun or hair dryer in my man room...I grabbed the iron and got her hot--or warm on silk setting, then wool for more heat and laid down some cloth over it and ironed a bend into one wing. Took the cloth away and ironed some more keeping the iron moving at good clip so it would not stick. I held the wing over a length of split bamboo and got fair results. After the attempt and not liking it a lot, I rethought the process and end goal.

Okay, now I'm gonna cheat and use underwing ribs like I used on a couple of Dalton Design Ellipso UC wings.

After gluing them up on the dummy wings I was very much liking the stiffness and hold of the curve. But realizing one big detriment to these additions = weight gain.

So how about after cooling them down I go back and trim them small? okay that works. How about I eliminate the ribs and just hold the scored curve in place and add hot glue ribs? Hold till cold and Voila! even that works. Still the weight gain from the glue. Always a compromise with the equation of light vs stiff. sigh!

Dummy wings with cut down ribs, glue ribs, short balsa spars inserted across the section seam. I think the spars are going to be needed to overcome the seam weak point.

More to come.

Steve
Last edited by Steve 0; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typos