SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:43 AM
United States, MI, Lake Orion
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
All time favorite.!Will be nice to see a light ,smaller version and electric.Still have a Pilot kit in a box.Joe
sarkantyu is offline Find More Posts by sarkantyu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 AM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
412 Posts
Thanks Pat, I really enjoy reading your builds & building your planes. Looking forward to this one!
delsol is online now Find More Posts by delsol
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:18 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,931 Posts
Thanks for that video. It is a MUCH smaller airplane than I had thought. Should make a great flier.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,463 Posts
Subscribed
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:25 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Charlie, Holy Cow! I didn't realize it was that small either. At 44" it makes the model 1:6 scale! No wonder it's such a "large small model".

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:27 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Finishing Framing the Fuselage

Got the corrections made on the odd formers, then finished adding the last of the stringers. Once that was done the servo mounts were set up and the servos screwed in place.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:30 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Mounting the Landing Gear and Setting Up the Bottom Wing Roots

The LG was lashed in place on the mount beams and the ribs glued in place. The gear will be covered with Microlite when the time comes.

The lower wing root extensions were built up next and dry fitted onto the fuselage frame held in place with the wing receiver tubes. So far, so good....
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Setting Up the Motor Mount and Cowl

The cowl was set up with a pair of dowels to align it to the firewall, and is held in place with magnets.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:42 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Setting Up the Top Wing Center Section

The top wing C-Section was built up first, then the cabane struts were shaped and soldered together. Now, to make bending the cabanes easier and MUCH more accurate, here's a trick I discovered awhile back -- it works for any biplane or parasol type model. It goes like this:

1- Make ONLY the bottom bend in each of the vertical struts
2- Bend the diagonal strut section
3- Solder the LH & RH assemblies together as seen in the photo by clamping the strut sections to wood blocks to keep them parrellel
4- Clearly mark on each of the four vertical struts where the top bend occures using the patterns on the plans
5- Insert the struts into their respective mounts on the fuselage
6- Now that you can clearly see the compound angles required to make all four vertical "mounting pins" parrellel at the top of the struts, make the top bend at the marks you made in step 4
7- Slip the top wing C-Section in place, then make any minor adjustments that might be needed.

The alignment jig will be used to do the final set up once the wings are mounted.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:46 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Building the Tail Section

The vertical and horixontal stabilizers were built up over the plans. Since both are airfoiled shims are required to center the outline on the ribs and spars. Once the framing was done, the airfoil sections were sanded into the ribs that the hinges cut in and dry fitted.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:48 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
The First Dry Run

The only thing left to frame now are the 4 wing panels, so it looked like a good time to do a dry run with what is already done. At this point it's all looking pretty good, so will get started on the wings next. Stay tuned, this are moving along nicely now....

PAT
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:51 PM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
616 Posts
The Jungmeister's a lovely little aeroplane but let's not assume that a modern flying display of a 60+ year old airframe is fully indicative of just what it's capable of, it's a true snap-roller if ever there was one, I'd definitely be thinking of spruce spars and functional rigging if I wanted a true scale aerobatic performance. Here's a short clip of a comparatively new Jungmeister being put through it's paces in 1939, until the Pitts emerged, the Jungmeister was the most potent aerobatic biplane in the world, bar none!

Kunstflug 1939 (1 min 20 sec)
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:19 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Oh Yeah! I just finished my version of vonJaerschky's Jungmeister, now I get to watch Pat build his. Awesome! You're right Pat, it is a surprisingly big model. Mine(and vonJ's) is 58" span but the top wing is up to my knee, and I've heard the cowl will fit on a persons head! Looking forward to all of it but especially seeing how Pat does the fenders, and you have to include those Pat, they really set it off. Looks like you plan on having the wings removable in right, left pairs, like the Tiger moth?

Doug
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:54 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
I think this version will do just fine at nice slow aerobatics. With it's weight it should do fairly gentle snap rolls too, if you can call a snap roll gentle.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:59 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
The top wing C-Section was built up first, then the cabane struts were shaped and soldered together. Now, to make bending the cabanes easier and MUCH more accurate, here's a trick I discovered awhile back -- it works for any biplane or parasol type model. It goes like this:

1- Make ONLY the bottom bend in each of the vertical struts
2- Bend the diagonal strut section
3- Solder the LH & RH assemblies together as seen in the photo by clamping the strut sections to wood blocks to keep them parrellel
4- Clearly mark on each of the four vertical struts where the top bend occures using the patterns on the plans
5- Insert the struts into their respective mounts on the fuselage
6- Now that you can clearly see the compound angles required to make all four vertical "mounting pins" parrellel at the top of the struts, make the top bend at the marks you made in step 4
7- Slip the top wing C-Section in place, then make any minor adjustments that might be needed.

The alignment jig will be used to do the final set up once the wings are mounted.
This kind of gold is exactly why I read these builds and build Pat's models.
Thanks, Pat.

Best,
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R