SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Discussion
Bucker Jungmeister @ 44"

I have been ponder the Bucker Jungmeister for quite some time now, and after having it suggested 3 times in less then two weeks, figured the time might be right, so here goes.

The design is a 44" span 4 ch. set up for an E-Flight 450 or Suppo 2217 outrunner on two cells. For those who want a bit more snappy aerobatic capabilities, a third cell might just do the trick.

So, lets get rolling: Construction began with bowing up all the tip outlines so that when the time came they'd be ready to go. And with that, the project is officially underway.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:57 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
Nice choice! I'm rather fond of the Jungmeister! Will Sparky be supplying a cowl with all the bumps, and perhaps a dummy radial, too?
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:59 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Building Up the Landing Gear

The landing gear components were bent to shape form .062 and .047 steel wire. The front strut was laid out over the plans and soldered together. The joints were wrapped with fine copper wire and resoldered. The rear strut was then jigged in place and soldered to the front. A second copper wrap was done and the joint soldered again. That'll make for a very tough LG assembly. I usually don't get all that wound up with the joints, in fact, I usually don't even wrap them, but even with just a 44" span, this is going to be a BIG model, so thought it best to take precausions now rather then make repairs later.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:04 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Building the Cowl

The main cowl assembly turned out to be quite large, so rather then vac-form the whole thing, the rear cowl section will be built up and sheeted, and the front end with the engine detail and the blisters will be vac-formed. The cowl will be retained to the firewall with alignment pins and magnets. The mold master for the front end is shaped, but still need to get the master for the blisters worked up, and then it'll all go out to Sparky so that he can do his magic.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
I have been ponder the Bucker Jungmeister for quite some time now, and after having it suggested 3 times in less then two weeks, figured the time might be right, so here goes.

The design is a 44" span 4 ch. set up for an E-Flight 450 or Suppo 2217 outrunner on two cells. For those who want a bit more snappy aerobatic capabilities, a third cell might just do the trick.

So, lets get rolling: Construction began with bowing up all the tip outlines so that when the time came they'd be ready to go. And with that, the project is officially underway.
Pat,

The Jungmeister is my all time favorite aircraft. I will be watching this thread with much interest!

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Getting Started on the Fuselage

Got started framing the fuselage first since that's where most of the major flubs usually show up. And this one was no exception. Don't know how it happened, but a couple of formers were flat wrong, so went back to the plans and fixed the problem. What's there won't be noticeable from the outside, but sure does make adding stringers a challenge when there's different number of notches in the formers Oh well, just shows to go ya that even the old timers can still blow it from time to time....

From here we get the Fuse finished up and then it'll be on to the wings.

PAT
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:48 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,534 Posts
Cool. Will it be strong enough to do some acro?
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:08 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
Cool. Will it be strong enough to do some acro?
BG, In my typical way of doing things it is a Park Flyer, but it'll be OK for the standard "scale manouvers" one would expect from the Jungmeister, but not the typical "rediculously over-powered spastic 3-D aerobatics" that one would see Patti Wagstaff doing in her Extra 300. Keep it scale and you'll be fine.

PAT
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:03 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,165 Posts
Scale flat bottom airfoils Pat?
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:47 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,534 Posts
That's what I was thinking, acros typical to the bird, not the weird stuff.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:04 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
Fly it like this. Like Pat said, none of that crazy stuff. Just nice and smooth! The video also shows how tiny this little bipe really is.

Bücker Bü 133 Jungmeister (3 min 50 sec)
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:19 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
Awsome addition to the line-up Pat! I just finished your 44" Tiger Moth and it turned out great and is a superb flyer.

Subscribed
miltonboy is offline Find More Posts by miltonboy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:58 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Scale flat bottom airfoils Pat?
Mark, Will be going with a Clark-Y section on this one. I tried it on a couple of others and was really happy with the results in the weight/wing loading class this one will be in, so thought it might be a good choice for this one too.

PAT
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:41 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,447 Posts
Watching with interest!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:57 PM
www.thunderbolt-gallery.com
Joined Mar 2007
175 Posts
I just like saying "Jungmeister" (Pronounced "YoungMeister")

Steve
MIGl7 is offline Find More Posts by MIGl7