SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Discussion
FPV Noob Questions

Successfully built and flown my TBS Discovery, now I want to start on what this bird was built for, FPV!

One thing that I do know is I am going for the FatShark Attitude goggles. (I want a base station free setup).
Also the fpv is for hobby/recreational use no need for miles of range.

A few things I'm not clear on and need advice.

Firstpersonview.co.uk have recommended this:
http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/com...omplete-system

1) It comes with a filtered power supply which plugs into the battery balance lead, does that run the power to the transmitter and camera? Also I use a low voltage alarm how could I use both at the same time.

2)am I better off running it from my main battery (5000mah 4S) or a separate one.

3)Would the TBS Core help my situation or make anything easier? Because I still don't really understand what that does!
Jmm_jammy is offline Find More Posts by Jmm_jammy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:56 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
1: As far as I know you can't use both at the same time, which brings me to...

2: If possible, use a separate battery. I crashed once when I used just ONE lipo for everything because the voltage dropped so much the video transmitter simply died. It has only happened once, but I'm not taking any chances. A tiny 180mah 3S Nanotech from Hobbyking can run a 12v transmitter+camera for roughly 45 minutes. I use a 360mah 3S Lipo to power my FPV gear which sits on top of my TBS.

3: No need for the core. As long as you fly close to yourself and you have a loud lipo alarm + timer on your transmitter you don't need to see the flight lipo voltage, mAh consumed etc.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
I have a similar setup. I have a low voltage alarm that plugs into the balance port of the battery. I use a separate video battery and I also have the HK cheap OSD that reports back the voltage of both batteries and flight time via the FPV system.

In retrospect I don't know if there is any advantage to using two batteries and one could run the video off of the flight battery for greater simplicity. Use a small BEC to power it if using 4S batteries. I did not buy the Disco core and just used the Fatshark wiring. I did have to splice the video wire to the OSD. HK makes another cheap OSD that has a video pass through that seems to eliminate the need to splice.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cambridge
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
1: As far as I know you can't use both at the same time, which brings me to...

2: If possible, use a separate battery. I crashed once when I used just ONE lipo for everything because the voltage dropped so much the video transmitter simply died. It has only happened once, but I'm not taking any chances. A tiny 180mah 3S Nanotech from Hobbyking can run a 12v transmitter+camera for roughly 45 minutes. I use a 360mah 3S Lipo to power my FPV gear which sits on top of my TBS.

3: No need for the core. As long as you fly close to yourself and you have a loud lipo alarm + timer on your transmitter you don't need to see the flight lipo voltage, mAh consumed etc.
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll use a small battery.
I was test hovering my quad in my living room and could only just make out my lipo alarm going off as my quad was so loud, maybe it's more effective at distance.

It would be handy to see voltage etc, so the core somehow makes this show up on the fpv display?
Jmm_jammy is offline Find More Posts by Jmm_jammy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm_jammy View Post
...It would be handy to see voltage etc, so the core somehow makes this show up on the fpv display?
You don't need the core for that. Just use one of these: (Presumably you don't have the Core.)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Mini_OSD.html

If you use a separate battery for the video system, this can monitor voltage on it along with the flight battery. Flight battery is Bat1 and video battery is Bat2. Yes, you may have to get the appropriate leads and possibly splice a few wires to make it work. On mine, the small video battery's balance port powers the Fatshark video and the main battery wire off of this small battery connects directly to Bat2 input on this. I wired in a lead from the main Disco power to power the OSD's Bat1 input.

You simply connect the video camera to "video in" then run the "video out" to your transmitter.

I actually have this one but it requires splicing of the video camera wire.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_E_OSD.html
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
60 Posts
The core is a nice-to-have. Basically, it's main function is to supply filtered, regulated power to both the video transmitter and the camera. One nice feature is that it can output 5v or 12v to either vtx or camera or both, regardless of what battery is powering the core. This is a great feature because some of the better cameras out there have an input voltage of 12v, but most video transmitters only output 5v to the camera, so this cleans things up when you are planning your power management. Also, you can connect a backup battery to the core, so if voltage drops on the main power, the secondary kicks in.

Another neat feature is that the core can overlay a pretty simple OSD on the video output. The basic stuff like: battery voltage (under load), current draw, mAh used (this is very useful!), and a timer. But as was said earlier, you don't need to core for OSD. There are other options.

If you are going to get the Fatshark Attitude, it comes with a nice 250mW vtx which should give you a decent LOS range. If you want an instant boost in range, upgrade the antennas (eg. SpiroNet Circular Polarized antennas are really nice!). You can also upgrade your video transmitter to something more powerful (immersionRC has a nice 600mW vtx). All you need now is a nice camera.

When you are ready to go beyond 1km and out of LOS, you'll have to make some additional investments.
AlmostCool is offline Find More Posts by AlmostCool
Last edited by AlmostCool; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:02 PM
Head full of foam
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Quote:
1) It comes with a filtered power supply which plugs into the battery balance lead, does that run the power to the transmitter and camera? Also I use a low voltage alarm how could I use both at the same time.
Same combo I have. The 250mW Tx in that will take 7-13v, so 2s to 3s from a balance lead AND it has a separate 5v out to run a camera.

I don't use their filter or the 5v. My camera is 12v so I went with:
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustabl...EPIC-Type.html
and a filter:
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Power-Sup...-L-C-Type.html

Regulates to 12v no matter if the input is above or below. Did this also so I could switch to 4s w/o to much hassle.
RuralFPV is offline Find More Posts by RuralFPV
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:02 AM
United States, PA
Joined Feb 2013
26 Posts
How about using th Fat Shark Attitude with a DJI Phantom? Will I need to modify the Phantom to accommodate this FPV setup?
ThePhantomMenace is offline Find More Posts by ThePhantomMenace
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:

2)am I better off running it from my main battery (5000mah 4S) or a separate one.
There is no need for an extra battery. The fpv system doesnt pull much at all off of the battery. The only thing you're doing with an extra battery is adding unneeded weight.

I actually soldered a fat shark cable from my power distribution board so it pulls straight off the board, which pulls from the battery.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:27 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
I'd like to ask a FPV noob question if you guys don't mind.

Looking to clean up my Video signal from my 900mhz Vtx on my spider quad. All I have on it right now is the 900mhz Vtx, using gopro hero 2 HD as my FPV camera and my trusty 9CHP with 2.4ghz Spektrum module.

My question is: High-pass vs. low-pass filter for Vtx??? If I understand it correctly, a high-pass filter will filter out noise from everything above what the filter is rated for. So a 1.2 high-pass filter will clean up everything above 1.2ghz. Or a low-pass filter at 1.2ghz will clean up (stop) everything from below....

So to help me out, what should I look for? Something like a 1.2ghz High-pass filter????

Thanks, I need help understanding....
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:17 PM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Bump for info.
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74