HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratous View Post
I'd hazard a guess and say it'd be the yankee version of the MAAA (Model Aeronautical Association of Australia).
Correct. AMA stands for Academy of Model Aeronautics.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:14 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,137 Posts
If it wasn't for the AMA and it's efforts to have the RC plane hobby there probably won't be any....without the AMA we would not enjoy this hobby to what it is today. You say you're still a AMA member that's great and you still support it's efforts that even better. Now go fly where you like and when you like and have a great time all the time.There's nothing wrong at all in flying where and when you want....you still respect the rules and regulations of the AMA . The AMA DOESN'T"T TELL you to BELONG to a CLUB at all just that they have set rules of safety and that they should be followed. They promote the hobby and have clubs that follow that idea. Some clubs are fun to be part of while other clubs are just a real good old boys with lots of money and attitudes and snobs. I agree with your choice and have fun flying. As for the mag just give it to the local library. Support the AMA and it's efforts to keep this hobby alive and the government away from telling it what it should do. AMA has a very good safety record and is organized well enough to take care of itself without any government interventions. It has been around for a long time and has proven itself as a safe and enjoyable sport that continues to grow each year. Good luck with your flying and above all fly safe and sound as you do already.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Interesting comments. With my new found flying field I do have a choice to not Join AMA as it is not a chartered AMA field. So this gives me the freedom to make the choice to Join or not. Its my decision! I'm thankful for what the AMA does for our Hobby. Who knows where we would be without them. We may not have the freedoms that we all enjoy in this sport. We could be heavily regulated by FAA. What if the FAA required us to earn some sort of Pilots license. Take Test and past a written and flying test. This would kill our sport. For Example of what occurred to Ultra light flying. With Ultralight flying in order to fly two place airplane you must have a sport pilot certificate. This wasn't a requirement in the past to fly two place ultraligth This requirement killed two place ultra light flying as a sport. No body wanted to spend several thousands for training. Ok I'm off topic. Sorry!

Anyway flying at a non club flying field really boost my excitement again for this hobby. I have to freedom to do what I want and always be safe.

I just wanted to share my excitement.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:52 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,148 Posts
This is in the wrong forum. Anti-AMA rants belong over here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/ama-academy-...ronautics-180/

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
whats AMA?
AMA is the national entity that assures we have the rights and freedom to fly RC planes.

Compared th the strength of individuals, th AMA is a powerhouse representing RC flying in the modern world.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
867 Posts
I donít belong to AMA as the nears field is 50 miles one way, I had thought of joining the Park Flier Program but only 3 of the 19 planes I own would qualify for the program. I do follow their safety rules as I think that they are time proven.
I know what it is to belong to a club, it seems there is always somebody complaining about the way your model is set-up or the paint job not being just right, you find that here also. I think most mean well. It is just the way they come across
So I just go to the local school and fly to my heartís content, although I do admit it would be nice to have some company

Thank you,
Ken Smith
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:46 AM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
In my opinion, I love what the op is saying. Being new to flying, using common knowledge and safty I don't see why this hobby needs regulation other then insurance due to life mishaps. No matter what we do here in merica, someone is always trying to tell us what to do and how to do it. Give the general population a little authority and they go power hungry.

It's like surfers. Try and regulate them and see what happens. I say, be free and use seanceability.
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:07 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko View Post
In my opinion, I love what the op is saying. Being new to flying, using common knowledge and safty I don't see why this hobby needs regulation other then insurance due to life mishaps. No matter what we do here in merica, someone is always trying to tell us what to do and how to do it. Give the general population a little authority and they go power hungry.

It's like surfers. Try and regulate them and see what happens. I say, be free and use seanceability.
Your sentiment is great and I understand what you're saying. However, the AMA with it's Washington DC lobbyist, and dedicated people on the Uas committee are the only step between the modeler and the interests trying to group us in with commercial pilots within the drone community. We should support the AMA with membership, (just as the gun lobby does with the NRA) if for no other reason than to keep our hobby unregulated.

If you think club rules and AMA Safety Code are restrictive, wait until the government starts regulating the hobby. Check out the Nova program "Rise of the Drones"

If anyone is new to the hobby and doesn't understand my references, search the AMA forum below or look at the AMA Web Site.

FWIW, at one time we were required to have an FCC Class C license to fly RC, so it has happened in the past and could very well happen again.

Azarr
AMA L999
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 AM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
478 Posts
The fact of the matter is this "there are too many people with no clue about safety or any other common sense ideas" that want to do anything they want without concern for anyone else. Case in point,we had a guy here who decided it was Ok to place some explosives in his plane so he could watch it blowup! Well blowup it did ,causing a fire and other damage,fine if he was on his own private property but it was at a public park and now rc flying is banned in the town. I myself and many other local guys used to fly there while the family was having a picknick etc. but no longer. This is the kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone else,just like the idiot who goes out and shoots up a school or theatre and everyone jumps on the bandwagon "guns are bad" Face it as long as theres stooges who dont have a clue about anything but themselfs there will always be a need for AMAs ,NRAs etc. These orginazations are here to protect the ones who enjoy whatever hobby it might be in a responsible manor from the few ignorant ones who would ruin it for everyone else. Noone is saying you need to join the AMA, if you have access to a private site more power to you,hell,whats better than having your own private skies. As far as not knowing the guidelines, how about reading them so you at least have an IDEA as to what you dont like about the orginazation. Just my 2 cents. Sorry about the rant. Brutus.
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
The AMA DOESN'T"T TELL you to BELONG to a CLUB at all just that they have set rules of safety and that they should be followed.
If you want to get full benefits of your membership you have to. Just try and get help from the AMA as an individual member and see where that gets you.

The AMA is VERY SKEWED towards the club system, I have approached the AMA multiple times as an individual and been told they are not setup to help individuals just clubs.

But they do good work with the government and the individual insurance is nice so that does help on an individual level.

Reminds me, like the OP, I need to renew since I have a nice empty field across from work.
KenP is online now Find More Posts by KenP
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyingguy View Post
Thanks for the replies. Interesting comments. With my new found flying field I do have a choice to not Join AMA as it is not a chartered AMA field. So this gives me the freedom to make the choice to Join or not. Its my decision! I'm thankful for what the AMA does for our Hobby. Who knows where we would be without them. We may not have the freedoms that we all enjoy in this sport. We could be heavily regulated by FAA. What if the FAA required us to earn some sort of Pilots license. Take Test and past a written and flying test. This would kill our sport. For Example of what occurred to Ultra light flying. With Ultralight flying in order to fly two place airplane you must have a sport pilot certificate. This wasn't a requirement in the past to fly two place ultraligth This requirement killed two place ultra light flying as a sport. No body wanted to spend several thousands for training. Ok I'm off topic. Sorry!

Anyway flying at a non club flying field really boost my excitement again for this hobby. I have to freedom to do what I want and always be safe.

I just wanted to share my excitement.
Clubs are chartered, not fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
If you want to get full benefits of your membership you have to. Just try and get help from the AMA as an individual member and see where that gets you.

The AMA is VERY SKEWED towards the club system, I have approached the AMA multiple times as an individual and been told they are not setup to help individuals just clubs.
But they do good work with the government and the individual insurance is nice so that does help on an individual level.

Reminds me, like the OP, I need to renew since I have a nice empty field across from work.
That's simply not true, at least in my experience. Each time I've had to contact the AMA for something, they only verify my membership and they have helped me with everything I've ever needed. AMA will charter clubs, sure, but I bet a larger percentage of AMA members than you think are not affiliated with a club.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:29 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTUS2238 View Post
The fact of the matter is this "there are too many people with no clue about safety or any other common sense ideas" that want to do anything they want without concern for anyone else. Case in point,we had a guy here who decided it was Ok to place some explosives in his plane so he could watch it blowup! Well blowup it did ,causing a fire and other damage,fine if he was on his own private property but it was at a public park and now rc flying is banned in the town. I myself and many other local guys used to fly there while the family was having a picknick etc. but no longer. This is the kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone else,just like the idiot who goes out and shoots up a school or theatre and everyone jumps on the bandwagon "guns are bad" Face it as long as theres stooges who dont have a clue about anything but themselfs there will always be a need for AMAs ,NRAs etc. These orginazations are here to protect the ones who enjoy whatever hobby it might be in a responsible manor from the few ignorant ones who would ruin it for everyone else. Noone is saying you need to join the AMA, if you have access to a private site more power to you,hell,whats better than having your own private skies. As far as not knowing the guidelines, how about reading them so you at least have an IDEA as to what you dont like about the orginazation. Just my 2 cents. Sorry about the rant. Brutus.
There's a problem with what you said here, and it's nothing that you wrote, it's with the whole concept of the regulations. It's a very sad and angering fact that we-the-people let ourselves get taken advantage by the lawmakers. For instance, for the genius that put explosives on board his RC plane and blew it up, that individual should be punished by whatever law is applicable, he must pay for damage, and that should be left at that. But no. We feel we have to use those opportunities to make new laws so we can scream "We're Doing Something!" We let our freedoms erode because of individual incidents that should be contained as they are. No new regulation was really necessary after a moron blew up his plane and caused a fire. I don't believe it's the events or incidents that ruin it for everyone else, I think it's ourselves letting it be ruined for us by overreacting. It's the same in the FPV debates right now. One person having an accident and we'll overreact that our privacy has been taken away because the neighbor is flying his spy-drone and that commuter and sport aviation is in grave danger from 2lb pieces of foam etc etc etc.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:44 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Clubs are chartered, not fields.

That's simply not true, at least in my experience. Each time I've had to contact the AMA for something, they only verify my membership and they have helped me with everything I've ever needed. AMA will charter clubs, sure, but I bet a larger percentage of AMA members than you think are not affiliated with a club.
Last time I saw some number over 1/2 of the AMA is no affiliated with clubs.

If you have only called them for verification of membership then you have not asked them for much. I asked for assistance on how to acquire, approach a land owner on a flying site and how to get site insurance to only be told that was only a function supplied to clubs. When I asked a second time I was told there is no formal policy that the AMA only helps clubs on that policy but they don't have any way to help individuals. Each time I was told to just start a club which I want nothing to do with. So no club no access to site insurance, thus can be difficult to get formal permission to fly since the landowner is not covered.

I personally have a pet peeve with the site insurance setup and how it is spread to all members but only benefits those in clubs. Also don't like the exclusionary policies the site insurance setups for fliers.
KenP is online now Find More Posts by KenP
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTUS2238 View Post
Yes I know, what about that idiot who was going to bomb the Pentagon with model jets, everyone was up in arms, the RC world was going to kill us all. Never mind that he and rest of the public didnít have any idea that the models would carry a carry small amount of explosives or the skill level it take to fly such a model.
The same with guns I have been around guns almost all of my 65 years, never had one kill anybody and just because I own a gun, that does not make me a blood thirsty killer but these people are going to controls guns. It is against the law to murder does not seem to stop anyone in Chicago, with the strongest guns laws yet.
So maybe the AMA is needed to protect US from these people, I will rethink about joining
PS Brutes that is the stuff of nightmares.
I had someone wanting to fly nitro at my school in Johnson City TX, I set up a howl on that one, we would both be kicked off

Ken Smith
Be Safe & Have Fun
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:13 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
Last time I saw some number over 1/2 of the AMA is no affiliated with clubs.

If you have only called them for verification of membership then you have not asked them for much. I asked for assistance on how to acquire, approach a land owner on a flying site and how to get site insurance to only be told that was only a function supplied to clubs. When I asked a second time I was told there is no formal policy that the AMA only helps clubs on that policy but they don't have any way to help individuals. Each time I was told to just start a club which I want nothing to do with. So no club no access to site insurance, thus can be difficult to get formal permission to fly since the landowner is not covered.

I personally have a pet peeve with the site insurance setup and how it is spread to all members but only benefits those in clubs. Also don't like the exclusionary policies the site insurance setups for fliers.
That's not what I'm saying.... I said that they verified my membership and then they helped me with everything I've needed. Which means that after membership verification, I stated my issue and they assisted. One such example was asking about putting on a public flying demostration and insurance coverage. They explained that as long as I establish a flight line and if all spectators are behind said flight line, I am covered in the event of an accident. They also explained everything else I needed to hold a safe demonstration, the details of which are escaping me at the moment.

The point is, the discussion of club affilliation never came up in our conversation. I was a member of the AMA, I needed help, and they provided it with a smile. It seems that your experiences were different and I'm sorry to hear that.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread