HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:36 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
This is the core of the problem. Government regulations. It sucks that they try to do things like this. If people used common sense, and the government did not try to stick their nose in, things would be all the better. I miss the old days, when there was a little freedom left.
Who said there was a problem?

Hmmm... I think I understand better now
DustBen is online now Find More Posts by DustBen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:36 PM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,760 Posts
People you meet in the AMA will be more likely to be organized people who see a purpose in working with others. They probably knew all about Jeffery Dahmler too, and kicked him off the field for disassembling people's airplanes when they weren't looking.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:39 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Fair enough. In those respects I suppose that the AMA has done some good. I guess my real problem is that if people took responsibility for their own actions, used common sense, there would be no need for orginizations like this.

My experiences with clubs have not been good. Any that I have tired to join, or looked into were ALWAYS rude, condecending, and upity. I have always associated this with the AMA as it seems that since they are AMA affiliated they feel they can be "better" than other fliers. That is ALWAYS the way is has come across from at least 3 clubs over the past 15 years that I have looked into. I don't get that at all from unnoficial non AMA related clubs. We fly, have fun, establish our own safety and rules, and have never had a problem.

Maybe my feelings are mis-directed at the AMA instead of the clubs. If this is the case, then I am sorry. It has just always come across to me that AMA = rude members.
This is definitely a problem with the club and the AMA shouldn't be held accountable for that type of behavior. FWIW, when I first heard about the club that I joined, I drove up to the field expecting to be either ignored or handed an application and told to come back once I've become a member. I had exactly the opposite experience. I walked up to an older gentlemen (who happened to be the club president but didn't tell me at the time) and told him that I was brand new to the hobby and was looking to join a place where people would be willingto help a new person learn to fly. There were about 10-15 guys there, at the time, and he walked me up to and introduced me to each one. He handed me an application, explained that I had to be an AMA member to join, and told me to hang out for as long as I wanted. I watched the guys fly for about 2 hours that day and had a great time asking them questions which they all answered. That night I purchased my AMA membership, and the next weekend I was flying at the field with my temporary AMA number. Because of that experience I have helped our club out with a lot of things. A good club president is what makes a good club. If you have a power hungry jerk in charge, then nobody will want to volunteer their time to help make improvements. Members of my club volunteer all the time and donate things to the club to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranandar View Post
Nice theory but in real life the good old boys only elect their own. When you feel physically threatened it is time to leave and not come back.

While it is in no way the fault of the AMA, it does not help their membership when people are treated badly at AMA sanctioned clubs.
And people like that should be reported to the AMA. I'm pretty sure that the AMA wouldn't want their name associated with a club that threatens it's members.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
This is definitely a problem with the club and the AMA shouldn't be held accountable for that type of behavior. FWIW, when I first heard about the club that I joined, I drove up to the field expecting to be either ignored or handed an application and told to come back once I've become a member. I had exactly the opposite experience. I walked up to an older gentlemen (who happened to be the club president but didn't tell me at the time) and told him that I was brand new to the hobby and was looking to join a place where people would be willingto help a new person learn to fly. There were about 10-15 guys there, at the time, and he walked me up to and introduced me to each one. He handed me an application, explained that I had to be an AMA member to join, and told me to hang out for as long as I wanted. I watched the guys fly for about 2 hours that day and had a great time asking them questions which they all answered. That night I purchased my AMA membership, and the next weekend I was flying at the field with my temporary AMA number. Because of that experience I have helped our club out with a lot of things. A good club president is what makes a good club. If you have a power hungry jerk in charge, then nobody will want to volunteer their time to help make improvements. Members of my club volunteer all the time and donate things to the club to make it better.

And people like that should be reported to the AMA. I'm pretty sure that the AMA wouldn't want their name associated with a club that threatens it's members.
Sounds like you have a great club. That has been the complete opposite of the local clubs here. Of course it has been a number of years I have tried one. Maybe things have changed. I don't live near any larger cities, so maybe they get fresh blood. The one I did go to last year as a sponsor of a show, was fantastic. But it was almost a 3 hour drive.

I guess my perspective of the AMA was based on the clubs. It sounds like they are not all that way.
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:59 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
For those that like flying at Clubs for the friendship good for you. There are other added benefits for belonging to a club. A permanent place to fly, a surface runway ect ect. I will have to clear out some rocks for a runway and put some work into it. I did fly from this secluded place but had to be careful of the rocks.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:02 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,384 Posts
I hear a lot of talk on RCG about how bad clubs are. I'm so glad that I don't belong to those clubs. The club I belong to is 115 members strong and evryone gets along great. It doesn't matter what you fly either. They are a fun bunch of people to hang out with aside from flying. I also suppoprt the AMA. I sure wish more people had better experiences with their clubs. Just my 2C.

HBGB
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:11 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,073 Posts
There are few (probably no) perfect clubs because the people who run them are often not experienced or well-trained in doing their jobs. If you walk into a club expecting professionalism you'll find that the club officers are just everyday folks who were nominated for their jobs, agreed to run for office, and sometimes are elected for multiple terms because the other members were "too busy" and "just want to fly". Model flyers whose only experience was flying in public parks, etc., often dislike having to conform to AMA flight operations and safety rules.Flying in the same direction in a racetrack pattern, calling out your intentions, watching the other guy's planes (situational awareness) and not flying over the pits or otherwise endangering flyers and spectators are examples of things encountered in a club field enviornment. Doing 3D moves or high speed passes in the middle of a take-off and landing area are some more negative examples. Good manners and self-discipline versus confrontations and selfish "macho" attitudes can make a club fun to be in.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:29 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz View Post
...Some people apparently prefer to live in the woods, staring at themselves...

Why not, at least we'll not have to listen to them whine at the clubfield...

I appreciate the fact that organizations like the AMA exist to give the particular, private, person a voice.
If we need a few rules to live together, I'd find it a resonable prize to pay... It allows you to exist too!
Why do people who live in the woods have to be whiners? I live in the woods, 17 miles from the nearest toun and 70 miles from the nearest club field. I made my own runway and my son and I can fly whenever the weather permits. We do 99% of our flying at home from UM's to 80" wing spans. We fly safe and don't like to crash our planes into anything. I have not had the best of luck going to other AMA fields because i'm not from there and not in the clique. Sure, they have been a few nice guys but most seem to look down on you. The OP said in the first post that he should renew his AMA. It's ok if someone has a different opinion than you. That's the problem today, MrRCFlying has a different experence with AMA fields and you want to hang and boycot his business! That is the problem today, it has to be one way or the other! Its ok to think different than the other person. He may not like AMA fields but sends them his money just the same as you. Me and my son don't need an AMA card here in the "sticks" but we both have one and renew every year. We all know the AMA does some great things for our hobby and does help keep big brother out. This is silly!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Why do people who live in the woods have to be whiners? I live in the woods, 17 miles from the nearest toun and 70 miles from the nearest club field. I made my own runway and my son and I can fly whenever the weather permits. We do 99% of our flying at home from UM's to 80" wing spans. We fly safe and don't like to crash our planes into anything. I have not had the best of luck going to other AMA fields because i'm not from there and not in the clique. Sure, they have been a few nice guys but most seem to look down on you. The OP said in the first post that he should renew his AMA. It's ok if someone has a different opinion than you. That's the problem today, MrRCFlying has a different experence with AMA fields and you want to hang and boycot his business! That is the problem today, it has to be one way or the other! Its ok to think different than the other person. He may not like AMA fields but sends them his money just the same as you. Me and my son don't need an AMA card here in the "sticks" but we both have one and renew every year. We all know the AMA does some great things for our hobby and does help keep big brother out. This is silly!
Take a deep breath, man... Nobody here said to boycott anybody. Only two people said they wouldn't buy from Andrew, that decision is theirs to make, and neither of them was the person you quoted.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Can't generalize about flying clubs. There are three clubs within 25 minutes drive of my house. Each one is different, big time. The first club I joined -- the one closest to home -- didn't really suit me. Silly me, the club furthest from home (25 minutes drive) turned out to be just the ticket -- I should have checked it out much sooner.

Up until about a year or two back, there was a nice big public space that my flying pals and I could fly and party at. It started out as a huge mowed lawn... then the town stopped maintaining it, and then they put a four-lane highway right through it. It was a lot of fun flying in a non-AMA-sanctioned field. The danger's mostly manageable when all the planes involved are electric parkflyers.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:55 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Take a deep breath, man... Nobody here said to boycott anybody. Only two people said they wouldn't buy from Andrew, that decision is theirs to make, and neither of them was the person you quoted.
I know, I know and i'm fine. That's why I said it was silly. It just kinda chaps me how whenever somebody post something somebody diagrees with, they have to hang them.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:16 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
I currently hold membership in two clubs. I wrote the original charter for one of them in 1968. The second club I joined in 1982. Over the years I have held membership in several other clubs as well--mostly to support their efforts to become established.
Clubs are not sanctioned by the AMA. They are chartered. The AMA offers guidelines for establishing a club but they are guidelines and not rules. The individual clubs set their own rules. The AMA does offer insurance designed to protect the landowner in the event of a problem. That fact alone has led to the establishment of many flying sites. A large number of these sites would not exist if not for the AMA coverage.
Blaming the AMA because you have been slighted by some at a local club should not fall on the shoulders of the AMA. The club is the culprit.
In reality in my 45 years in this hobby I have never experienced nor have I seen what some have claimed happened to them. But it may simply be a matter of perception on my part.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:54 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
whats AMA?
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:58 AM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Australia, SA, Modbury North
Joined Feb 2012
1,376 Posts
I'd hazard a guess and say it'd be the yankee version of the MAAA (Model Aeronautical Association of Australia).
LooseSox is offline Find More Posts by LooseSox
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:59 AM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
Been in RC since '64 and was helped out a lot by some very great guys. My flying consists of both club fields, water, public, and private land.
Showing my AMA and explaining its benefits sure eases the way in most cases.
My present club is an excellent one...nice and friendly. I continue to be as helpful as I can be.
I simply chose to ignore the rare times in the past when some idiot malcontent tries to inflict himself on the sport. It takes two to play their game. No body likes a foul mouthed know-it-all.
To all I say 'peace'. art
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Closed Thread