HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Option out the magazine with a lower cost. If you can't live without it then pay the upcharge and continue to receive it. For me and I'm sure many others it is a waste of postage and paper.
I didn't know you could even do that. I will check into it, as I never read it anyway. I am sure there is information that a lot will find useful, but have tried to sit down with it several times just to put it down a few minutes later, unsatisfied.
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:33 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
The magazine should be sent out online saving thousands of dollars and trees. No need for every member to get it in the mail. You need to be able to opt for an electronic edition. This is 2013. Same goes for MAAC here in Canada.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:41 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
I didn't know you could even do that. I will check into it, as I never read it anyway. I am sure there is information that a lot will find useful, but have tried to sit down with it several times just to put it down a few minutes later, unsatisfied.
You can't option out at a reduced price or at all and that's a problem. Yes this is the 21'st century ! If ad dollars are that important then yes put it on their site in electronic form.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,885 Posts
Whenever I engage in any type of hobby that requires regulation, I make it a point to joing the supporting organization. Many people are under the false impression that AMA somehow runs all these flying clubs. This isn't true. AMA membership is usually required to fly at a club because the AMA sets guidelines for these clubs and also because of the insurance factor AND it helps protect the hobby we all love. We need to support the organizations that protect that hobby from potential political interference. That BTW, is why I belong to the NRA as well.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
The magazine really has come a long way in the past few years. I was like you... a quick skim through it and then toss it in a pile to be given away (got a club member that collects old magazines so I save them for him). But the mag is light-years ahead of what it used to be and I find myself reading almost the whole thing.

I've said before and will say it again... it's everyone's free will whether they want to join a club and/or the AMA or not. I respect that. What bothers me are the trash-talkers that don't realize the AMA is doing everything they can to protect model aviation from unnecessary government regulation. The government wants to regulate the NAS and since we fly in the NAS, they WANT to regulate us. I'm not going into specifics as that's been covered as nauseum in countless other threads. The AMA is our last line of defense when it comes to protecting model aviation. And the AMA unfortunately runs primarily on the money it gets from membership dues. More members = more money = greater ability to fight the unnecessary government regulation.

I'm not calling anyone in this thread an AMA trash-talker so please don't misunderstand... just remember that this is OUR hobby and AMA is doing its best to protect it. And like Chuck said in the post above me, AMA doesn't run my club. AMA sanctions my club because we agree to follow their guidelines.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:01 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
I see I stirred up a hornets nest.

I will rejoin AMA for what they do for our Hobby and not for the Insurance and Mag. I'm a home owner and have home owner insurance.

The club I belong to require I have AMA or I don't fly period. AMA Chartered Club I get it.

So I found a place to fly that doesn't require AMA. I wasn't bound by AMA shackles. "Refreshing"

I support the Rules of behavior at a busy AMA Chartered Flying Field. What is "Refreshing about this field I found is I do not have to share any airspace, Fly a pattern and put up with Glow/Gas airplane noise. Also I do not have to put up with Club politics and EGO.

No matter where I fly I fly by the AMA Code of ethics.

Yes I may be lonely and rejoin the club but for now I'm a free Bird.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Last edited by azflyingguy; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:39 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyingguy View Post

I will rejoin AMA for what they do for our Hobby and not for the Insurance and Mag. I'm a home owner and have home owner insurance.

The club I belong to require I have AMA or I don't fly period. AMA Chartered Club I get it.

So I found a place to fly that doesn't require AMA. I wasn't bound my AMA shackles. "Refreshing"

I support the Rules of behavior at a busy AMA Chartered Flying Field. What is "Refreshing about this field I found is I do not have to share any airspace, Fly a pattern and put up with Glow/Gas airplane noise. Also I do not have to put up with Club politics and EGO.

This depresses me every time I read it because I while I can totally understand the put-off of politics and egos in a club, my club has none of that. I swear we have the best club, ever. We all get along and we're accepting of everyone and everything. Sorry you had a bad experience with your club.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:

So I found a place to fly that doesn't require AMA. I wasn't bound my AMA shackles. "Refreshing"

Club politics and EGO?
I know exactly what you're talking about.

It's sad to go to a club meeting and see the adults in the club acting like children and the children in the club are wishing they'd all just go away.

I am known for flatly telling "some" club members, "go away... I have nothing to say."

And if there's another club nearby, the perfect recipe for losing current members is to have drama and dust-ups... they just go elsewhere in a hurry!

In summary, you have no problem with the AMA... and I do not blame you.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:46 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
168 Posts
hope you can continue to enjoy the hobby...in my opinion we need AMA more than ever before. My state wants to enact legislation to prohibit FPV on all unmanned "drones" as they would call RC.
I understand your issues with club politics and such. I am glad to be associated with a club or I would have no place to fly at all
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd View Post
hope you can continue to enjoy the hobby...in my opinion we need AMA more than ever before. My state wants to enact legislation to prohibit FPV on all unmanned "drones" as they would call RC.
I understand your issues with club politics and such. I am glad to be associated with a club or I would have no place to fly at all
This is the core of the problem. Government regulations. It sucks that they try to do things like this. If people used common sense, and the government did not try to stick their nose in, things would be all the better. I miss the old days, when there was a little freedom left.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
This is the core of the problem. Government regulations. It sucks that they try to do things like this. If people used common sense, and the government did not try to stick their nose in, things would be all the better. I miss the old days, when there was a little freedom left.
Which is EXACTLY why the AMA is necessary. I don't know why you think the AMA is the cause of any regulations...they don't make regulations, they make guidlines which are there to try to prevent government regulations from being forced upon us. I know you are entitled to your opinion, but I would not recommend openly stating that you are against the AMA when you are trying to sell a product aimed at an audience that has a large AMA membership. Whether or not you agree with what the AMA stands for, I can assure you that this hobby wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is without it.

I'm also fortunate to belong to a club that has very little drama in it and ZERO egos. For those of you that belong to a club that has issues... Run for a position in the club and fix it. It doesn't have to be that way.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
Quote:

I's good to have the AMA membership if you like to go to other club events that are sanctioned.
I feel your pain about clubs with Hitleresque ruling ,politics,egos, and outdated thinking. The clubs that are thriving have little to none of it and the clubs that are dying have it bad. It's mostly inbred and hard to break decades of operating like this. Father Time is the only one who really has the ability to change things !
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Which is EXACTLY why the AMA is necessary. I don't know why you think the AMA is the cause of any regulations...they don't make regulations, they make guidlines which are there to try to prevent government regulations from being forced upon us. I know you are entitled to your opinion, but I would not recommend openly stating that you are against the AMA when you are trying to sell a product aimed at an audience that has a large AMA membership. Whether or not you agree with what the AMA stands for, I can assure you that this hobby wouldn't be anywhere close to where it is without it.

I'm also fortunate to belong to a club that has very little drama in it and ZERO egos. For those of you that belong to a club that has issues... Run for a position in the club and fix it. It doesn't have to be that way.
Fair enough. In those respects I suppose that the AMA has done some good. I guess my real problem is that if people took responsibility for their own actions, used common sense, there would be no need for orginizations like this.

My experiences with clubs have not been good. Any that I have tired to join, or looked into were ALWAYS rude, condecending, and upity. I have always associated this with the AMA as it seems that since they are AMA affiliated they feel they can be "better" than other fliers. That is ALWAYS the way is has come across from at least 3 clubs over the past 15 years that I have looked into. I don't get that at all from unnoficial non AMA related clubs. We fly, have fun, establish our own safety and rules, and have never had a problem.

Maybe my feelings are mis-directed at the AMA instead of the clubs. If this is the case, then I am sorry. It has just always come across to me that AMA = rude members.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:17 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
Quote:
Run for a position in the club and fix it. It doesn't have to be that way.
Nice theory but in real life the good old boys only elect their own. When you feel physically threatened it is time to leave and not come back.

While it is in no way the fault of the AMA, it does not help their membership when people are treated badly at AMA sanctioned clubs.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
Quote:
For those of you that belong to a club that has issues... Run for a position in the club and fix it. It doesn't have to be that way.
Been there, done that too.
When there are ruling cliques it's very, very difficult to make progress or effect positive change. Like I said as long as they don't recruit new clique members, Father Time will effect the change eventually or sometimes things have to fail before they can get better .
Last edited by flyinwalenda; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Closed Thread