HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:43 PM
Hellcat 113
USA, IN, Martinsville
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Question
Telemaster 150 build

I'm building a Telemaster 150. I'm going to build in a drop box for very small items(4-5 lbs). The plane weight shoul be about 17 to 18 lbs per the instructions. So all-up weight about 23 +- lbs. What are your thoughts on the engine to use? I have a Saito 180 and a Moki 140 available. I like the sound of Saito, but will it drag that much weight into the air? Thanks...........
Hellcat 113 is offline Find More Posts by Hellcat 113
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Oh yeah! Sure it will haul the 180. Just for kicks I stuck a DLE20 in my 8ft telemaster. It weighs about 850-900 grams after ignition battery which is pretty close to the mass of your saito180.

It had absolutely no trouble taking-off and flying. Landings were slow and easy too - and that plane did not have flaps...

Later I converted it to a twin with 2X 40 LA's and it flew fine with that and 2X 1L fuel tanks full of methanol (again - just for kicks). So that was ~ 1.6 kg of fuel and another 500 grams of motor. This setup was easy to takeoff and fly but landings were a bit faster than I would like.

Later I cut the motors out and made a pod on top of the wing. I used a single 40LA with 1L of methanol in it. So that was about 1.1 kg of motor and fuel. It was really hard to get off the ground and flew OK. Landing was easy...
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:37 AM
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2006
5 Posts
Telemaster kit

Hi,

Are you still building this kit? If so, would you consider allowing me to have a copy of the instruction book? The kit I have did not come with one, only the plans.
I will be happy to pay you for your efforts...

Thanks
terry noble is offline Find More Posts by terry noble
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:39 PM
Hellcat 113
USA, IN, Martinsville
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have this started and so far it seems to be very light for the size. I'm going to use the Saito 180 unless I find a great deal on a 200 at the remaining swap meets in my area.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:46 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,269 Posts
Nerver heard of a Telemaster 150. Are you talking about the 95" Sr Telemaster of the 12" Giant Telemaster?
SrTelemaster is online now Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:33 PM
Jackass of many Trades
USA, UT, Pleasant Grove
Joined Feb 2007
234 Posts
I have a set of plans for a 150, I believe it refers to 150% size of the original Telemaster 8 footer.
It would be the predecessor to the more commonly know 12 foot or Giant Telemaster.
If i can find a Telemaster history reference I'll post a link.
MichaUT is offline Find More Posts by MichaUT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Saws
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:49 PM
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2006
5 Posts
The Telemaster 150 has a WS of 12' 6"... It is not the 12' kit that Hobby Lobby sold... Finding the instructions for this kit is proving to be a challenge...

SB
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:38 AM
Hellcat 113
USA, IN, Martinsville
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry noble View Post
The Telemaster 150 has a WS of 12' 6"... It is not the 12' kit that Hobby Lobby sold... Finding the instructions for this kit is proving to be a challenge...

SB
Hobby Lobby still has the instruction book. Give them a call and be sure to mention you need the 150 book........Hellcat 113
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:41 AM
Hellcat 113
USA, IN, Martinsville
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
The 150 refers to it's wing span, 150 inches, 12ft 6 in......Hellcat 113
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:05 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,269 Posts
The reason i was so curious about the telemaster 150 title is that, on RCU, my username is SrTelemaster150.

My "trainer" when I staed in R/C was a Hobby Lobby Sr Telemaster ARF W/a Saito FA150 for motive effort. hence, the SrTelemaster username. Unfortunately this site does not allow enough characters for that username, but for some reason, SrTelemaster was not being used. (not the case @ any other R/C forums)

It was quite the performer & a very good trainer. I soloed W/O a buddy cord W/O crashing.

As the plane suffered the enevitable bumps & bruises, I modified it by reducing wind incidence/dihedrel & added wing struts.

It would do straight up knife edge W/ full cross control of ailerons/rudder & by releasing the ailerons, the roll coupling of the rudder would roll the plane out to level flight.
SrTelemaster is online now Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:10 PM
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2006
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat 113 View Post
Hobby Lobby still has the instruction book. Give them a call and be sure to mention you need the 150 book........Hellcat 113
Thank you very much. I will give them a call, cuz I'm not getting anywhere fast without the instructions...

SB
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Oct 2010
387 Posts
I thought I might revive this thread to see how the OP project came along because I found an old shipping tube, tucked among all the plans I have, that contained the plans and instructions for the Telemaster 150, so I started doing some searching here in RCG to see "what's up" with this old design and stumbled upon this thread.
It's quite a monster, and I do like the Telemasters, especially nowadays when it would make a great camera platform for a UAV ship.

I noted that the name of Howard Chevalier was on the shipping tube, so it's possible that he might be the designer.
I still have an old copy of his model aircraft design book ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006F273W ), and I use it for reference quite often when I'm designing from scratch myself in Rhino. He's gone now, but he was a good writer and made model aircraft design easy to understand.

I think I might build it sometime next Spring and hang an old reliable Quadra 42 on it that I have in storage.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, KY, Greenville
Joined Nov 2013
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeline View Post
I thought I might revive this thread to see how the OP project came along because I found an old shipping tube, tucked among all the plans I have, that contained the plans and instructions for the Telemaster 150, so I started doing some searching here in RCG to see "what's up" with this old design and stumbled upon this thread.
It's quite a monster, and I do like the Telemasters, especially nowadays when it would make a great camera platform for a UAV ship.

I noted that the name of Howard Chevalier was on the shipping tube, so it's possible that he might be the designer.
I still have an old copy of his model aircraft design book ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006F273W ), and I use it for reference quite often when I'm designing from scratch myself in Rhino. He's gone now, but he was a good writer and made model aircraft design easy to understand.

I think I might build it sometime next Spring and hang an old reliable Quadra 42 on it that I have in storage.
whould you be willing to make me a copy of the telemaster 150 plans? would gladly pay for them and your time, I have the ribs ready and found out the ribs are for the 150, so now i need plans for the 150,
Thanks
goober is offline Find More Posts by goober
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:03 AM
United States, KY, Greenville
Joined Nov 2013
232 Posts
hey , I have bought a set of laser cut ribs for the 12 ft telemaster, now I need a set of plans for the telemaster 150, my plans are WRONG, I now realize there were several different 12 ft telemasters over the years. anyone out there have a copy of the telemaster 150 they would sell me??
goober is offline Find More Posts by goober
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2010
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
hey , I have bought a set of laser cut ribs for the 12 ft telemaster, now I need a set of plans for the telemaster 150, my plans are WRONG, I now realize there were several different 12 ft telemasters over the years. anyone out there have a copy of the telemaster 150 they would sell me??
I wish I could help, but I'm really really busy at work coming up to Christmas, and as overworked and stressed out as I am, I'm just not going to put another "to do" on my list at this time.
After Christmas, I might be prone to help, but these plans are old (as any would be by now), and I'm concerned how well they would get through a large sheet fed scanner without self-destructing.

Later on this summer, I might be willing to help, but again, I'm concerned that the aging plans I have might not make it through a sheet fed scanner. Let me think on that.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Last edited by Treeline; Apr 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM.