Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,641 Posts
I still have my ages old Astro-Flight 1/2a starter and it never damaged any engines. Now granted it would be bad to hydro-lock a cylinder up and try to use the electric starter like that on it. The rod would pretzel out post haste.

I do like the spring starter thingies myself. I don't think they affected RPMs all that much though. I never noticed the difference as 300 RPMs is in the noise range for variability anyway.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add more information
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:22 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I have to ask as to why the die cast crankcase is considered inferior? I didn't think there would be any significant difference in the performance or running of the engines.
It is not a matter of degraded performance or endurance; I have an RC Bee engine that uses the die cast crankcase, has over 100 flights and it runs very well. I've noticed Cox International has different SureStart reed holder backs between the die cast and extruded screw machined crankcases. There must be something subtly different dimensionally, that requires using specific backs.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by GallopingGhostlr; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Expanded RC Bee comment.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT View Post

The really interesting part is that the new reproduction cylinders are made right here in israel
Is that right???

Who makes them here, Dave?
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:15 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,195 Posts
never had one of the die-cast cases but pretty sure i remember Larry Renger mentioning that they were a flop for various reasons, longevity being one of them. and in my personal experience i do know that the anodized cases outlast the raw aluminium ones by a healthy margin...but either way the wear isn't something you'll see after only 100 runs.

Dar, don't know who makes them or if they're actually made from scratch or just modified from stock cylinders. i can only assume that tissan haifa was somehow involved.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:16 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The TD .049/.051 where produced in very large number since the early 60's, the Cox TD r/c .050 was only produced for a short period along with its bigger .09 r/c brother in the late 90's. They command a much higher price than the regular TD .049,.051 or .09, having a real muffler and usable carb.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
I've noticed Cox International has different SureStart reed holder backs between the die cast and extruded screw machined crankcases. There must be something subtly different dimensionally, that requires using specific backs.
The die cast crankcase has a larger bore for the reed retainer, so although the screw pattern is the same, the regular back doesn't fit well on the die cast front.

Here are some of the RC versions (05RC, 09RC and 09 medallion with RC accessory);
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:17 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I still have my ages old Astro-Flight 1/2a starter and it never damaged any engines.
Same here. Makes starting SOOO much easier!
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:50 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobjoepants View Post
I typically use electric systems for my hangar of sport-sized aircraft, but for an upcoming build I have a number of reasons to run gas that I won't dive into now. My question is: Does anyone here have experience with the brand-new line of cox .049 engines, and if so, do you know some of the performance differences between the 4 R/C gassers they offer (the "cruiser," "bomber," "flier," and "aviator?")

I can obviously start to assume what the "bomber" and "cruiser" are for, but I still don't want to base a purchase, no matter how small, on what the name implies. At any rate I'm still in the dark about the aptly named "flier" and "aviator." The site is woefully lacking in stats, and I have trouble viewing the reviews that they probably hope will fix that problem.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://coxengines.ca/r-c-engines/

Thanks in advance.
A lot of new denominations for basically the same engines. Some exeptions are rare, like the original Venom of which a 1000 were made (in Cox terminology that is very VERY low production) Today you can have almost any combination in colour, then there are the diesel conversions, the specials like this yellow/blue Mangusta DR inspired by the original RR1 and the yellow/orange/red RR2 by the same maker, but also some fakes like the 5 cylinder made by Wide Canyon with 4 empty cylinders or that V-2 with one.
Or how about a Cox that is made into a glass paper weight ? You can also find them transformed into ignition. There is a very good book on Cox engines by Tim Dannels worth buying.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:53 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
more Cox engines
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:57 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
and even more Cox
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:54 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
3 Cox look-alikes L to R : Italian made wasp, Cobra (made in England ?) and Japanese RUM
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:55 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,641 Posts
Some of my hoard of Cox engines:
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
The COX book by Tim Dannels. A MUST for engine collectors even wanna-be's.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
The COX book by Tim Dannels. A MUST for engine collectors even wanna-be's.
Wow, a lot of nice and historic engines being shown, thanks all!

As far as wanna-bee's go, I'd say if a person even has one Cox engine, even a refugee from a crashed RTF, they're good enough for me to be considered a genuine collector.

I've got over a dozen Cox engines: 290s from the 1970's, Babe Bees, Black Widows, R/C Bee, .074 Dragonfly, SureStarts, .020 Tee Dee, .020 Pee Wees. Also have other half-As such as Testors McCoy .049 Red Head, Testors 8000 reed valve, OK Cub "A" & "B", Norvel AME & Big Mig .049 & .061 CLs & RCs, A.C. Gilbert .074 & .11 Thunderheads, etc.

I've never considered myself a collector, preferring instead to use them in airframes.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:19 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
Wow, a lot of nice and historic engines being shown, thanks all!

As far as wanna-bee's go, I'd say if a person even has one Cox engine, even a refugee from a crashed RTF, they're good enough for me to be considered a genuine collector.

I've got over a dozen Cox engines: 290s from the 1970's, Babe Bees, Black Widows, R/C Bee, .074 Dragonfly, SureStarts, .020 Tee Dee, .020 Pee Wees. Also have other half-As such as Testors McCoy .049 Red Head, Testors 8000 reed valve, OK Cub "A" & "B", Norvel AME & Big Mig .049 & .061 CLs & RCs, A.C. Gilbert .074 & .11 Thunderheads, etc.

I've never considered myself a collector, preferring instead to use them in airframes.
That "wannabee" was not intended personally. With the engines you've got you are well on the way to be a collector. I have mentionned it here once before, I have met British modellers telling me that they not really do collect engines " well,...... I do have the odd 125 engines you know Reg......" The correct English answer to that is : I take it you do have some interest in them.