HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:59 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
If I understand you correctly, yes. Once the 2 halfs are joined together, from the root cord it will be cut back, to square off the LE. for mounting. Don't have the amount handy, right now, but about 3.5" . Squared to where it meets saddle. I don't have everything written down, a lot of it is in my head! My dad, brother and I, have the ability to design stuff in our heads, and it comes out just as we planned! Most of the time!!

Need to get wing built first so I can get the saddle correct, then "relieve" some foam to accomodate the intakes. I had thought about this before hand. Will have 2- 1/8" 6-ply spars, front and rear..Once the entire wing is done , LE, TE, tips, hinges, servo and gear bays cut out, etc. it will be completly glassed.I also took into account, that all 3 Scorpion model are composite fuses, the 2 bigger, turbine versions have plug in wings. The E vesion has the one piece wing, so it has to be strong, to tie it all together. Never done a foamy before, don't want it to "fold" in half.

Only when I think the fuse meets my personal expectations, if not it's a do over, will the entire fuse be glassed!
At least that's the plan.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 06, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:16 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,286 Posts
[QUOTE=CoolerByTheLake;24048742]If I understand you correctly, yes. Once the 2 halfs are joined together, from the root cord it will be cut back, to square off the LE. for mounting. Don't have the amount handy, right now, but about 3.5" . Squared to where it meets saddle. I don't have everything written down, a lot of it is in my head! My dad, brother and I, have the ability to design stuff in our heads, and it comes out just as we planned! Most of the time!!

The above is what's known as the"head cad"design system.Free to all users
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
The above is what's known as the "head cad" design system.Free to all users
Never thought of it that way. The difference between the other "CAD" and the "head cad" design system, try as they might, not everyone can do it!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:14 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Scorpion CG

here's the CG I get for the Scorpion. I've left yours on the pic for reference. i doubt you'll go far wrong by using either. I would use yours as your most forward position and mine for your mid position. if you wanna get a bit wilder, you could move slightly more reawards. depends how stable you want your plane to be.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:15 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
forgot to add........................my CG is the blue line, which I'm sure you'd figure out without me saying anything, but there ya go. LOL.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
Thanks Rich, Hope you can figure out the explaination on the method I used, in the PM I sent.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:29 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'll figure it out if you can send me exact dimensions of the wing. just one side is enough.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:19 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
new CG pic

here's the one you just sent me.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
I will get you all the numbers you need tomorrow. Thanks a bunch, turns out harder than I thought.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:30 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
forgot to ask.......................flaps or no flaps on your model?

we have a turbine Scorpion at our field. what an amazing flying airplane it is. and deceivingly fast too.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:07 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,243 Posts
This is 25% wing MAC.
Are you going to figure in where the NP is with the tail? The NP will change then you can the find where CG is (Static Margin).
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:24 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
It is so nice to have smart people like you and LuvEvolution7 to come to the rescue. I don't have a clue? I am working on getting all the measurements Rich asked for. I will PM you with numbers this afternoon.

Thanks for your help.
Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
Still plugging away, getting things together. I want to have every thing in order before I start this. Lots of parts ordered, some of the wood/ply is special order, need the right stuff! But I thought I would share a few more photo's I just got today from my "source". Enjoy.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:56 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
still plugging away at those numbers. if I get back early enough tomorrow, I'll have it done by tomorrow night. if not, it'll be Monday evening.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,411 Posts
I guess it's about time for some kind of update, before this gets on the third page back!! I aquired my FFF and found it was a PITA to get the plastic backing off of. So in checking out the foamy scratch build forum I came across this foam: http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
looked like a whole lot better foam to work with. No plastic backing. no pin holes, and flat as a pancake, and ALL white. In the mean time I have been honing my skills trying to work out how to get some of the more complex curves and angles I want. It has been quite a learning experience.

Most of the stuff I ordered is here, servos, 6-ply plywood, of course the foam, and they just shipped all my fiberglass "stuff" today.

This going to be more difficult than I thought. Building it like a normal "park flyer" just won't work. They are all pushers, and for the most part have no room inside for all the EDF goodies, not to menton retracts. This will be truely a composite aircraft. foam, fiberglass, plywood, balsa and might even have a little CF to boot!!

Where I'm at now is still working out the best method of getting a "foam shell" strong enough to hold together while fiberglassing, and still retain all the shapes and angles. Sorry, no photos of my screw ups!!

I did have to modify the intakes some. You can see by the photo, that Aviation Design could have given more thought on the intakes. Way to big for a 90mm fan, and poor design to the fan from there. In some of the videos I have seen, there where comments made about its lack of speed, this may be some of the reason. I did consult AIR SALLY about this.

Enough for now, I hope to get on this pretty soon. Just a few things left to figure out.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 01, 2013 at 11:27 PM.