Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:14 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970 View Post
No, the AAA size is 800mah.

1500 is simply the number of cycles that the cells will supposedly deliver.
Cheers lenny , I had a quick look at AAA pack yesterday and made that same mistake.
At first thought it seems a strange way to market the cells, but I guess to most people capacity isn't much of an issue if you can just recharge as often as you like.
Bit different for us, where capacity and c rating are all important.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:42 PM
USA, CA, Vista
Joined Jun 2003
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post
Cheers lenny , I had a quick look at AAA pack yesterday and made that same mistake.
At first thought it seems a strange way to market the cells, but I guess to most people capacity isn't much of an issue if you can just recharge as often as you like.
Bit different for us, where capacity and c rating are all important.
What is the best rate to charge them at (2000 pk) ?
Dyno ..
Dyno Don is offline Find More Posts by Dyno Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:16 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,101 Posts
Don,

I've been charging mine at 0.8A

t
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:29 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2004
290 Posts
I charge my 2000 mah AA rx (4 cell and 5 cell) and tx (8 cell) eneloop packs at .7 amp and cycle them down at .5 amp. The packs last very well at these rates. As insurance I replace the packs after 2 or 3 years. Then I disassemble them and clean up the cells and continue to use the cells in flashlights and other household things.
tomcat5109 is online now Find More Posts by tomcat5109
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:32 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,595 Posts
Recycling-
Reduce
Reuse
Recyle

Nice job reusing the cells in flashlights, TomCat!

R,
target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,975 Posts
I have been charging as high as 1A on enloop cells for the last 3 years - not a single failure - I have 4 year old packs at 98% capacity still.

I typically charge at .8 but if I am in a rush ill bump it to 1.0A - I left a plane on overnight at the F3J contest in Phoenix (primary glider) and needed to put a charge on my pack fast - it did not heat up at 1.5 amps but I would not suggest this as a rule. IT did however peak at 1978 Mah which is pretty good!
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:55 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,595 Posts
1978ma into a pack in that situation doesn't tell you much, since you don't know the starting voltage. If it had been run down past normal bottom voltage, it could take MORE than the nominal rating.
I would cycle that pack if you haven't already to see where it really is. It could be fine, it could be that after leaving the battery on overnight, the pack was just depleted fully but not more. Cycling it should tell you.
Better safe than sorry, right?

R,
Target
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:29 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,975 Posts
Yup, when they gey home my packs get 3x cycled...all appear in the acceptable range so far.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:27 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
What voltage do life packs maintain, as in if you see it on the voltmeter you are ok? And what voltage is time to charge voltage? I've noticed my life pack stays around 6.3V
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:13 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,595 Posts
Mine are usually between 6.6 and 6.4 volts with the radio on.
SO HIGH! :-P
At 6.3, I would be looking to recharge.

R,
Target
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:50 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
What voltage do life packs maintain, as in if you see it on the voltmeter you are ok? And what voltage is time to charge voltage? I've noticed my life pack stays around 6.3V
Ali, try to charge the individual cells from current state and see how much each will take. I suspect either one of the cell is out of balance or just defective.

Here's a discharge curve for one of the hyperions Life @ .8A and an A123 @.5A, I've got tons more graphs if you need more .
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:36 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Another thing to check is the calibration of what you are measuring the voltage with. If you are checking it with telemetry it may be off? I know some of the data logger's give different voltages compared to a real voltmeter. Something to consider . . .

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:00 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,655 Posts
I'm using just a normal hobbico volt meter. I don't have any Telemetry on the SD10.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,180 Posts
Quote:
I'm using just a normal hobbico volt meter. I don't have any Telemetry on the SD10.
Maybe you could borrow another voltmeter to see if it gives the same reading. Are you testing it under load? The reason I suspect the meter is that I would be surprised if the pack would stay at 6.3 for a long time - especially if it isn't under load. Tuan's graphs show the progression.

Does the pack cycle okay?

As a side note, it seems that the Hyperion packs like to be balanced charged every time they are charged. (I base this on the few packs I've seen people have trouble with were not always balance charged.) Not sure what cells you are using, but thought it is worth mentioning for anyone reading.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:58 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,595 Posts
I haven't had much trouble with the hyperions in the planes going out of balance, but the 3 cell pack in my Tx is another matter.
I would say that I balance the Rx packs about every 6 charges or so.
I'm using the JR data logger to get the readings I'm getting (normally 6.6-6.5v) with the planes on.

R,
Target