2,364 Posts
Very nice I didn't get a chance to do any cutting today
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
United States, MI, Haslett
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
I just cut out the center section on my New 50$ Harbor Freight scroll saw and it turned out pretty good. It is kind of fun and satisfying to cut out this shape. It is really pretty light and made with cheap home depot luan and a much better alternative to a bunch of bolts and standoffs. I was also surprised at how well my 50$ chinese scroll saw performed . Keep monitoring this thread it may take me a month or more to complete this project and I may have other questions especially since this will be my first fpv ship.

Thanks

Larry
lklansingkiter is offline Find More Posts by lklansingkiter
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:29 AM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Nice. Glad to hear it Larry. Post a pic. Yeah scrolling is a nice discipline. Sort of meditative.

FPV camera and Harness:

Now the quad is up and flying it is time to start kitting it out with all the camera gear. I use the excellent Stereoscopic FPV camera - "3D-CAM FPV" from EMR Labs.

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=393

This allows you to see in 3D while flying when used in combination with goggles that can handle field sequential 3D video like the EVG 920V

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...g920v&_sacat=0

Despite the special 3D capabilities, all the other Tx Rx equipment is standard FPV gear.

First I box up the camera using foam core, hot glue and packing tape. Light and strong. Then I struggle away on the wiring. Most of the work is done for me by using an FPV wiring harness from RMRC.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=135

while you are there pick up a power filter to clean up your main battery power going to the camera FPV gear...

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=533

I am also using HobbyKings Super Simple OSD just to give me battery and time info in my goggles...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Mini_OSD.html

Ok hope you like my wiring diagram. I am no expert so there could be errors. All I know is the camera OSD and Mic are working. I made it a bit long though.

cheers.....phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Last edited by Captain3D; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Making progress

I decided to not use the parts I cut with the saber saw and recut them on my new scroll saw. Here is a picture of them partially bolted together . This also shows the arm I am going to use. The arm and the Luan ply for the center section can be found in the multirotor department at Home Depot. Three layers of home depot luan ply is just perfect for the width of the arm to make a tight fit. I need to figure out how
to drill the arms and the top and bottom plate accurately so the arms swing into place properly. I am a little unsure how a jig would work because the measurement s of the inner plates are not accurate enough that the hole would always go in the same place to make a tight fit. I suppose it might be better to drill the hole in place while holding the arm where I want it . I also have a set of Avroto 2814 motors and I was wondering how this would do with 4s and 11x5 props on maybe bigger arms
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:33 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Hey nice cutting Larry. I found I could drill the holes accurately enough with a hand held drill as long as I marked them up accurately and drill each hole of the aluminum from either side (not trying to drill through in one go).

phil
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Here it is!

I finished the build. I was looking at one of my old quads the other night and noticed that the motors were 2215 1250kv( cheap emax motors) and thought "that sounds familiar". So I transferred everything over including the cc3d board. I will make the first flight today.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
first flight fright

So the first flight was nearly a disaster. The quad I took all these components from is rock stable but this is just the opposite. It seems to have very little yaw authority and the pitch stability is marginal. I did three short hops and each time the bird turned around 180 and if I tried to correct it would barely respond and then start pitch oscillations . Did you make changes to the pid settings to make this fly?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Found out what is wrong

I figured out what went wrong. All through this build I have been changing my mind about which end is the front and which end is the back. When I put the motors on from the quad I thought the back was the front. When I plugged in the motors to the CC3d I thought the front was correctly the front. Now that I look at it I see the props are rotating in the wrong direction because of this. It is a miracle it flew at all. I tried to cut a corner by not going through the calibration step because I figured it was already set up for a quad. Cutting corners on procedure never works well in aviation.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Living room flight

Hi Phil
I got it to fly fairly well in my living room now but it is not quite stable enough in pitch.
Did you change any of the rates to make it fly better? Mine are all set to 20 right now.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Maiden flight

Here is the maiden flight of my quad in some pretty strong wind. I think it has the potential to be a very stable camera platform if there is no turbulence. It is flying quite well on my 9$ motors but I am getting a lot of jello in the video as you can see below. I have the gopro mounted on some silicone vibration dampers but perhaps I need to go to a wire system. Again I am flying with 9$ motors so you can't expect too much but I am wondering if going to a wire mount will help with this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24091641
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:31 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Hi Larry

Glad you got it working. Watching the video i was surprised by the rough sound of the motors other than that it seemed to be doing ok.

Every quad will need tuning and the CC3D has a lot of possibilities. I don't really fly in Atti mode just Rate and I don't think my settings would help you too much as my quad weighs 2.2KG with all the gear on but here are my recent settings and a recent flight...

3D FPV Quadcopter - CC3D in a little canyon ride (2 min 46 sec)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:32 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
I will put up the wire dampening GoPro mount this week i hope

phil
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:09 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Well I got sidetracked cutting your frame and started cutting this one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822545
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:01 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Got a bit side tracked myself but here is a bit more....

GoPro, Piano Wire, Anti vibration mount:

I have had great success with this anti vibration mount on my stereo Gopros and I am sure it is equally good for a single camera. You may need to experiment a bit with wire length and thickness to get the best results.

First I cut a bunch of ply pieces for my stereo mounts as well as some smaller pieces for the single Gopro mount I will show here.

Get some stiff piano wire from a hobby store and cut 160mm or 6 inch lengths. You will probably need to use a grinder to cut it. Bend the ends over to help in fixing the position later. Cut out some grooves in the wood to help locate the wire and epoxy the wire between the ply sheets. You can glue three ends to start.

Once the epoxy is properly set you can bend the wire around for the final join. Next cut some neoprene foam for the base and velcro on your GoPro.

You can bolt or velcro the mount to your quad and take it for a test flight. If the three wires are too stiff and are transferring vibration to the camera you can try removing the center wire to make it softer. But it is surprising how stiff it can be and work well. You don't want it moving in the wind during fast forward flight etc.

cheers...phil
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:24 PM
AMA42924 CD
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined May 2012
75 Posts
Thanks for sharing this great idea. Do you think it would work "upside down" with the camera base on the bottom and the camera "hanging"? I am thinking of this for use on top of fixed wing aircraft, or quads where you don't want the camera on bottom.

PS thanks for the great park video - especially appreciate the music.
esl721 is offline Find More Posts by esl721