HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Mike_Then, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:59 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,517 Posts
Discussion
Popwing night flier!

Our club is having a blast with flying full-contact combat with the TechOne/Nitroplanes Popwings. They are inexpensive, easy to repair, and surprisingly durable. My first combat wing took too much damage to continue combat (we are flying the wings stock out of the box for combat) so I decided to turn it into a night flier.

The Popwings fly very well with the stock motor, ESC, and prop. As such, weight of the lights is negligible and their positioning doesn't seem to affect the flight characteristics. Sorry for the quality of the pics; I did the best I could with the Night setting on my camera. Enjoy!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:47 PM
North Carolina, USA
Joined Mar 2005
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Our club is having a blast with flying full-contact combat with the TechOne/Nitroplanes Popwings. They are inexpensive, easy to repair, and surprisingly durable. My first combat wing took too much damage to continue combat (we are flying the wings stock out of the box for combat) so I decided to turn it into a night flier.

The Popwings fly very well with the stock motor, ESC, and prop. As such, weight of the lights is negligible and their positioning doesn't seem to affect the flight characteristics. Sorry for the quality of the pics; I did the best I could with the Night setting on my camera. Enjoy!
Great job, Mike! If I may impose on you for a few lessons in how to create a similar setup for my not-for-combat Popwing along with some info on what gear I need and where to find it, I would be most grateful!

Mike
crashguru is offline Find More Posts by crashguru
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:54 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashguru View Post
Great job, Mike! If I may impose on you for a few lessons in how to create a similar setup for my not-for-combat Popwing along with some info on what gear I need and where to find it, I would be most grateful!

Mike
Thanks Mike! I'd be more than happy to assist; let me know what I can do to help. As far as the lights are concerned, you can get the Turnigy brand lights from Hobby King or the HobbyPartz brand lights from NitroPlanes.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:42 AM
Five Guys Field Rep
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Feb 2013
502 Posts
So you wire the lights straight to the power lead on the esc?
Don Quixote is online now Find More Posts by Don Quixote