SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: What do you prefer, the 9X, or the new 9XR?
9X 31 55.36%
9XR 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9X vs. 9XR

Hi everyone,
I didn't see this thread anywhere, so I thought I should start it. Does anyone have any opinion as to which is the best?
oliwic is offline Find More Posts by oliwic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:24 AM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
I'm curious about this, too. You'd think more people would chime in.
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:13 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
I think this would only apply to people that have both. I only have the 9xr, I can tell you that I like it.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Jul 2005
257 Posts
I have both. You won't go wrong with either. Both are very good buys in comparison to the price.

The 9xr is prettier, has a nice backlit screen and a programmer installed to start off.
The first batch had problems with sticking buttons and hair line cracks in the plastic. Those problems are probably solved, according to newer buyers.
The ergonomics are, let's call it unique. The throttle and trainer switches are hard to reach. The menu buttons are annoying since they are made out of rubber. The radio has a built in antenna, which I will probably never use since the only module they have promised to supply will use DSM2/DSMX.
If I were to buy a new radio and had no plan to ever modify it, I would buy this one again.

The 9x has a lot more room within to install modifications and has the same ergonomics as most other radios. All buttons click.
On the down side the 9x often has quality problems with solder joints and buttons failing. The Turnigy 9x might be had with a transmitter module and a receiver for roughly the same as the empty 9xr. But I strongly advise against the default radio system, based on my own negative experience.
If I were to buy a new radio and was interested in and capable at installing mods like sound, two TX modules etc. I would get this one.

The cases of both feel pretty solid.The gimbals of both are equaly not good at all. The switches feel the same.
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:54 AM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2012
359 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on those. What sort of bad experiences did you have with the 9x?

I had a 9x a while back that I used solely for flying v911 helis. Kinda regret getting rid of that stuff and was thinking of getting another or getting a 9xr w/ flysky module. Basically all I'd use it for is flying v911's and v929's.
NCC1701D is offline Find More Posts by NCC1701D
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm would be with the new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwic View Post
Hi everyone,
I didn't see this thread anywhere, so I thought I should start it. Does anyone have any opinion as to which is the best?
Fernando89 is offline Find More Posts by Fernando89
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Jul 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701D View Post
Thanks for the feedback on those. What sort of bad experiences did you have with the 9x?

I had a 9x a while back that I used solely for flying v911 helis. Kinda regret getting rid of that stuff and was thinking of getting another or getting a 9xr w/ flysky module. Basically all I'd use it for is flying v911's and v929's.
I lost control over several planes when I used FlySky. I either crashed them or planted them firmly in trees. Losing control did not at all feel like when you loose control with an analog system and servos start to jitter. It was more like a sudden wind that all of a sudden turned the plane upside down or hard to the left etc. Unpredictable and very unpleasant.
I switched to FrSky and have never experienced anything like it. I love the FrSky system. It just works.
But for really close range stuff the FlySky system works OK. I have 911s and have never had any problems with those.
dvogonen is online now Find More Posts by dvogonen
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:35 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
my vote goes for this one

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:46 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
384 Posts
I just started looking for a radio in this category. Fly2High directed me to the FrSKy thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637012). Depending on the price and initial reviews, I'll probably get one of these. They seem to have put a lot of thought into it and addressed a lot of concerns brought up in the community. I love a company that listens to its customers. Depending on your time frame, it might be worth waiting for one of these.
I know almost nothing specific about the two radios you mentioned. Because of that, I'd probably go with dvogonen's recommendation.
SquireM is offline Find More Posts by SquireM
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
77 Posts
Dvogonen, Thanks... Which Radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
I have both. You won't go wrong with either. Both are very good buys in comparison to the price.

The 9xr is prettier, has a nice backlit screen and a programmer installed to start off.
The first batch had problems with sticking buttons and hair line cracks in the plastic. Those problems are probably solved, according to newer buyers.
The ergonomics are, let's call it unique. The throttle and trainer switches are hard to reach. The menu buttons are annoying since they are made out of rubber. The radio has a built in antenna, which I will probably never use since the only module they have promised to supply will use DSM2/DSMX.
If I were to buy a new radio and had no plan to ever modify it, I would buy this one again.

The 9x has a lot more room within to install modifications and has the same ergonomics as most other radios. All buttons click.
On the down side the 9x often has quality problems with solder joints and buttons failing. The Turnigy 9x might be had with a transmitter module and a receiver for roughly the same as the empty 9xr. But I strongly advise against the default radio system, based on my own negative experience.
If I were to buy a new radio and was interested in and capable at installing mods like sound, two TX modules etc. I would get this one.

The cases of both feel pretty solid.The gimbals of both are equaly not good at all. The switches feel the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireM View Post
I just started looking for a radio in this category. Fly2High directed me to the FrSKy thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637012). Depending on the price and initial reviews, I'll probably get one of these. They seem to have put a lot of thought into it and addressed a lot of concerns brought up in the community. I love a company that listens to its customers. Depending on your time frame, it might be worth waiting for one of these.
I know almost nothing specific about the two radios you mentioned. Because of that, I'd probably go with dvogonen's recommendation.

Dvogonen, Thanks for the write up, you put a lot of time and thought into it, except for one thing, (and not trying to be a smart *ss, (well maybe just a little)), Which radio are you recommending, the 9X or the 9XR?

Thanks, Iz/Steve
Izord is offline Find More Posts by Izord
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:11 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izord View Post
Dvogonen, Thanks for the write up, you put a lot of time and thought into it, except for one thing, (and not trying to be a smart *ss, (well maybe just a little)), Which radio are you recommending, the 9X or the 9XR?

Thanks, Iz/Steve
He recommended the 9XR......
If you are into modding the insides......he recommended the 9X.
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,608 Posts
I have both, really wanted to like the 9xr, but I have a common problem where the sticks won't center. I get -14 on one side and 7 on the other. This is not usable. So it was a waste of time and money. They used cheaper materials on the 9xr than the 9x. Really screwed the pooch on the design. And because of the shape, you can't hold it in one hand and hand launch with the other. Designed by people? My foot! Designed by bean counters, more like it.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Radio Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
I lost control over several planes when I used FlySky. I either crashed them or planted them firmly in trees. Losing control did not at all feel like when you loose control with an analog system and servos start to jitter. It was more like a sudden wind that all of a sudden turned the plane upside down or hard to the left etc. Unpredictable and very unpleasant.
I switched to FrSky and have never experienced anything like it. I love the FrSky system. It just works.
But for really close range stuff the FlySky system works OK. I have 911s and have never had any problems with those.
Yep.. I know what you mean... Like this:
First major quadcopter crash - Footage from the ground (0 min 46 sec)
(from the ground)

and
First major crash of my Bumblebee Quadcopter (2 min 47 sec)
(From the air - Start 50 seconds from the end to avoid the boredom of grass..)

This was flown with an E-Flite LP5DSM with a no-name, el-cheapo amazon.com bought clone receiver.. I guess I know why they're like $7..

Good to hear FRSky will be best.. That's why I'm here reading!!

Thanks!
172pilot is offline Find More Posts by 172pilot
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
Little Red Plane
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2012
503 Posts
Why would you fly that close to the high voltage lines?
GarryOgilvie is online now Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
I think this would only apply to people that have both. I only have the 9xr, I can tell you that I like it.
How about the 9xr?
Dale_SU is offline Find More Posts by Dale_SU