HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:17 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Sigh. My local hobby store don't sell FlySky because they're not FCC approved and they said in Europe and China 2.4Ghz runs on a different level(frequency) so it might interfered with other devices. So instead...they suggested me to buy a $69 dollars Futaba controller, now I'm somewhat broke=.=

I hate to see someone has a tight budget (same here, very painful). Sigh. well, but actually If you have a tight budget, you'll do your research and become a smarter RCer than others who has money but don't do his research.
lawjie is offline Find More Posts by lawjie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:10 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
Sounds like we need to play of game of chicken to see who is right..LOL My point is that they are not trustworthy enough for serious racing or expensive vehicles, but they are more than adequate for bashing. Sure you can use it for racing, but in my opinion thats not the place to start skimping.
How are they not trustworthy enough? When mine failed I was going full speed in a parking lot and it went into failsafe mode which stopped the truck safely.

Spending 5 times as much on a Spektrum system doesn't mean it's going to be more reliable, it just means you spent more money.

Unless you need third channel mixing or a proportional third channel I don't see any reason to not run something like the GT3B. If a LHS tells you that you need to buy a DX3R to race they're full of it. Even budget 2.4ghz systems now are FAR better than high end FM systems from 15 years ago when it comes to signal resolution and glitch rejection.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:13 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen Flysky in a LHS..From what I've seen they are almost exclusively internet only. My experience with LHS is if they can't make money on them they don't sell them. I'm not sure that they are not FCC approved. I will go and look at the box it came in when I get home. I'm pretty sure it has an FCC sticker on the bottom of the radio. This hobby is changing all the time and with the internet and overseas compainies enteringthe game, we the consumer have cheaper prices.. even the high end stuff has come down in price for those that prefer to stick with the name brands.
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
How are they not trustworthy enough? When mine failed I was going full speed in a parking lot and it went into failsafe mode which stopped the truck safely.

Spending 5 times as much on a Spektrum system doesn't mean it's going to be more reliable, it just means you spent more money.

Unless you need third channel mixing or a proportional third channel I don't see any reason to not run something like the GT3B. If a LHS tells you that you need to buy a DX3R to race they're full of it. Even budget 2.4ghz systems now are FAR better than high end FM systems from 15 years ago when it comes to signal resolution and glitch rejection.
In my opinion they are not.. Others may have different results. I didn't mean for this thread to get sidetracked on the merits of cheap radios. These radios are great. I own two of them. I just don't have enough faith in them from personal experience to use them in high end applications
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
We have this discussion all the time in the aircraft category. I have a GT3B, 2 Turnigy 9x radios (one with custom firmware) and a 9xr on the way. Yes the quality is not the same. I once had a gimbal wire come loose, good thing I was on the ground. But the protocol is dead reliable. And I know some cars can be very expensive, and if you race and can afford the $300 radio, great. But a sub $100 Futaba over a Flysky? No way. The Flysky is great for the casual user. And if there is a failure, your car is likely not going to be 500 feet in the air traveling at 80mph. And the last post has it right, the cheapest 2.4G systems today are leaps and bounds ahead of the old AM and FM radios. I've never had an Rx fail but I guess anything can happen. I also have a Spektrum DX6i and honestly, I'm not that impressed. I prefer my 9x. Now I used a friends JR 12X and that was an impressive radio, but I think they are almost $1000. And if you are NOT racing, get a redcat, I have several. I don't race. They are cheap and fun. They are NOT high precision models, but they can perform well with the right setup. They are leaps and bounds better than Tamiya and Kyosho of 20 years ago.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:59 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
And the last post has it right, the cheapest 2.4G systems today are leaps and bounds ahead of the old AM and FM radios.

They are leaps and bounds better than Tamiya and Kyosho of 20 years ago.
Don't forget the addition Wparsons made about AM/FM vs 2.4 GHz, he was referring to glitch protection and signal resolution. The build quality of for example an old Robbe Terra Top radio is still usually better than budget 2.4 Ghz systems as well as better gymbals. And when taking good precautions, like proper interference suppression on all motors, and good routing of the antenna wire, and no one in the neighborhood sending on the same channel, the connection can be very solid. But 2.4 Ghz offers more "fire and forget" transmission, as the protocol is able to withstand more "abuse" from bad signals. Don't get me wrong, I use the 9x for a while and like it a lot, and recently I got the GT-2 as well, expecting the same positive experience with it.

I disagree about the quality of 20 year old Kyosho cars vs recent models like the red cat. Tamiya was in those days less competitive, I do agree, as they were just venturing into making cars that are more like good fun and more geared towards performance. But cars like the Optima Mid are still solid performers, with the transmission being able to handle brushless power, lipo, durable, low maintenance and precision. The only thing these are slightly lacking in, is that 1:10 scale cars were a little smaller back in those days, with shorter wheelbase, slightly smaller diameter tyres, and shorter suspension arms. And increasing these will improve handling on terrain. Although later produced "Custom" Optimas had longer wheelbase, and the shortly after the Optima released Lazer ZX-R, did get the longer suspension arms.

I agree that nowadays there are quite a few decent quality fun cars on the market, but new doesn't mean better. Though the value for money ratio could be better these days, as production has gotten cheaper.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:05 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
The Optima series was in a class all it's own. I had one of the originals. Would kill to have one again, but people want too much for beaters.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:04 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
We have this discussion all the time in the aircraft category. I have a GT3B, 2 Turnigy 9x radios (one with custom firmware) and a 9xr on the way. Yes the quality is not the same. I once had a gimbal wire come loose, good thing I was on the ground. But the protocol is dead reliable. And I know some cars can be very expensive, and if you race and can afford the $300 radio, great. But a sub $100 Futaba over a Flysky? No way. The Flysky is great for the casual user. And if there is a failure, your car is likely not going to be 500 feet in the air traveling at 80mph. And the last post has it right, the cheapest 2.4G systems today are leaps and bounds ahead of the old AM and FM radios. I've never had an Rx fail but I guess anything can happen. I also have a Spektrum DX6i and honestly, I'm not that impressed. I prefer my 9x. Now I used a friends JR 12X and that was an impressive radio, but I think they are almost $1000. And if you are NOT racing, get a redcat, I have several. I don't race. They are cheap and fun. They are NOT high precision models, but they can perform well with the right setup. They are leaps and bounds better than Tamiya and Kyosho of 20 years ago.
I don't know If I would kick FM to the curb just yet. The new 2.4 ghz stuff is great I have one for my planes an converted my old 3pjs to 2.4 ghz It is a nice addition.I don't have to worry about crystals and the rest of it. But if your on a real tight budget you might be able to snag a FM radio with a ton of features for a little bit of money. And if everyone is on 2.4 you won't have to worry about interference as much. The signal still moves at the speed of light not to bad for old technology. Now that being said I'm also a Ham Radio Operator and will always have a soft spot for radio.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:23 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Just a footnote on a previously asked question for the rest of you.. The flysky radios are indeed FCC approved and have the correct fcc sticker and information on the bottom of the radio and also imprinted on the box they came in.The sticker is the same ones that are on my other radio's... Spektrum, Futaba, Normadio and Hitec.....
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
You can buy a used TT01 complete for well within your budget. We run a class of them on Saturday nights just to get the old style racing back. They are not terribly fast around "25mph" but are still fun and handle surprisingly well. We also run super modified RS4's, Sprint 2's and E10's all brushless for our speed fix.. but honestly we've made these cars so fast they are not really as much fun to run as the slower TT01's.. White knuckle runs at 60mph when a crash will take you out isn't fun compared to bouncing off other cars, passing and spinning out like racing should be.. The minispec class is also a good idea, but as wparsons said before.. You are very limited to what you can even find for the car.. The TT01's have an endless supply of parts support and mods..
All this talk of the TT01 I had to buy a used one. It will be here on Friday or Saturday. I should know better oh well it's only money.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
All this talk of the TT01 I had to buy a used one. It will be here on Friday or Saturday. I should know better oh well it's only money.
Do you play alone or do you have buddies to play with?
Sigh. I feel extremely bored playing alone with my TT01. wait...I should said that I feel extremely LONELY playing with my TT01.

T_T
lawjie is offline Find More Posts by lawjie
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:54 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
^^ Get something to mark out a track and practice driving on that, it's much more fun than just randomly driving around a parking lot. Small pop bottles with a bit of water in them (with the tops back on) work great. The water will keep them in place, but if you hit them they'll just bounce away.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
All mine are used.. Up to 3 now and I think another is in the works..These cars will bring the fun back to the races.. at least for one class.. I have my two daughters running them as well. they are 6 and 8. they practice in a large parking lot and we use the painted lines as markers, but water bottles are a great idea. I may do that when its warmer out.. Thanks for the tip.Mredzadventure, your right, its only money...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:22 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjie View Post
Do you play alone or do you have buddies to play with?
Sigh. I feel extremely bored playing alone with my TT01. wait...I should said that I feel extremely LONELY playing with my TT01.

T_T
I have an Associated TC3 I picked up for a song I will run the tt01 and the TC3 for my 13 year old boy and me I might set them up for drifting or maybe spec class racing next winter. You should look in your area for some local clubs get one of your buddies into it that is what I did.

Quote:
All mine are used.. Up to 3 now and I think another is in the works..These cars will bring the fun back to the races.. at least for one class.. I have my two daughters running them as well. they are 6 and 8. they practice in a large parking lot and we use the painted lines as markers, but water bottles are a great idea. I may do that when its warmer out.. Thanks for the tip.Mredzadventure, your right, its only money...
that is cool you got your girls out in the lot practicing I think I will do the same. My girls will want to give one of there stuffed animals a ride.
I will post a pick when I get it.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I will do the same with my daughters cars. They have custom one off bodies that Santa and I collaborated in creating. Just have to get around to it.