SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:59 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Sounds strange that the Nixx dies and the LiPo holds charge in the radio ... I agree that NiXX will not hold as long as a LiPo ... but it should be long enough even on supermarket NiXX to not be a problem.

Must be a circuit difference in the radio ? Maybe the Tx has more fitted to cater for the LiPo and in so doing makes it a better option there.

Then of course you say the older DX6i holds OK on NiXX ...

I work away for weeks at a time ... this particular assignment I'm near 1 month in Singapore .. will get home in maybe 3 - 4 days from now. My Radios were all charged when I left on 7th Jan ... standard Grundig AA NiMH's ... that's 2 x 9X, 1 x 6EH, 1 x Syma RTF, 1 x JR Propo 8ch, ... all will be fine to fly when I get home w/o having to charge before.
I do admit that for peace of mind - I do where possible plug in the 50mA chargers if possible just to make sure. But I do know that I can fly without charging ... and with the 9X for 9hrs or so ... similar to when just of charger.

Nigel
The DX6i uses a normal NiMH and charges through the side port with a normal wall wart. The DX7S and the DX8 both have built in charging circuits that use a 12V input at the side port. The user sets the software to either NiMH or Lipo, which ever he is using. Evidently, the Lipo charging circuit works better than the NiMh circuit. I'm told you have to monitor the charge when using the NiMH pack. I don't know off hand because I switched to the Lipo right away in my DX8.
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:08 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
The DX6i uses a normal NiMH and charges through the side port with a normal wall wart. The DX7S and the DX8 both have built in charging circuits that use a 12V input at the side port. The user sets the software to either NiMH or Lipo, which ever he is using. Evidently, the Lipo charging circuit works better than the NiMh circuit. I'm told you have to monitor the charge when using the NiMH pack. I don't know off hand because I switched to the Lipo right away in my DX8.

I realise that from the previous ... strange.

To use 12v input for the charging prevents use of such as the Prolux Tx / Rx charger ... this has full Delta Peak detection ... charges at 1A etc. etc. Designed to plug into Tx socket and Rx packs direct. With 12v required - it's no use ! along with most other 'clever auto' chargers.
Seems a bit silly to me for a reputable company to supply such a charging regime. No wonder you guys are putting LiPo's in !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:36 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,745 Posts
I believe it's only a bad batch of batch of batts in the radio as most are working fine. The circuit in the lipo batt. shuts off the power to the batt. when it reaches 8.4 volts. Also does the balancing and shuts off the batt power to the trans when it reaches certain low voltage if you accidently leave the trans turned on.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:45 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
For me , the reason I changed batteries was because of the stock cell holder in the 9x was so bad with lsd cells that it can cause a loss of connection. Even with modification the holder was still too tight AND the battery door was also too tight because the lsd cells are larger diameter.

I went back to alkalines while waiting for my lipos and life packs. My end result was positive because I now have increased capacity , more room in the battery box and lighter weight. I was already on the last hole on the neckstrap adapter for proper balance.

Lipos are much easier to deal with than NI types inmop. Easier to charge , more predictable, ect.

ps. It was also cheaper.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:06 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
For me , the reason I changed batteries was because of the stock cell holder in the 9x was so bad with lsd cells that it can cause a loss of connection.
Yes the 9x is let down by the holder - as it's very stiff hard plastic and no 'give' when inserting cells. They are gripped tight and may have less contact than is best. The remedy is simple and works 100%. Thin card folded and forced into the coils of the -ve spring contacts to force the cell hard onto contacts.

Quote:
Even with modification the holder was still too tight...
Actually this is good as then you know you cells will not dislodge once my card trick is made.

Quote:
AND the battery door was also too tight because the lsd cells are larger diameter....
Actually the door is not as you expect and is NOT an insert and slide door as others. The way to close the 9x door is to put in top tabs and then click the door down .. works everytime. To open is to slide it. My LSD cells are same diameter as other AA's ...

Quote:
I went back to alkalines while waiting for my lipos and life packs. My end result was positive because I now have increased capacity , more room in the battery box and lighter weight. I was already on the last hole on the neckstrap adapter for proper balance....
So you're happy - that's main thing. For me - I have 2300mAh NiMH giving 9hrs, they hold charge well, have no trouble with contacts, and I prefer a bit of weight having for years used JR Propo which is at least 1.5x the weight of the 9x.

Quote:
Lipos are much easier to deal with than NI types inmop. Easier to charge , more predictable, ect.

ps. It was also cheaper.
I cannot agree there sorry ... my 8 AA LSD Grundigs were less than $10 total over local shop counter - 5 mins from my house. If I ever need replacement - I can do it by individual cells, not by buying a whole pack. 2 years later STILL performing same. Charging is via case socket without any need for balance plugs or remove pack. Predictable ? Given LiPo's - I think a NiMh is more stable and predicatble than a LiPo and safer charging.

But it's the old Ford vs General Motors argument ... two camps that will never agree ... both do the job ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:57 PM
Katy Tx
Joined Nov 2007
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randmental View Post
Hi Guys

What do I miss - everyone seems to go to Lipo's for their TX/Controllers.

I have been using 4 x AA (2450mAh NiMh) and they have double the power capacity (Wh) than a 7.4V 2s 800mAh lipo that I can fit in that same space.

Even if the Controller can take a 11V / 3S lipo the max physical size drops the mAh capacity and thus the Wh, to way less than 4 x AA

Any ideas?
I use a 2S lipo, but it's not one that fits in the AA compartment. I put a piece of velcro on the back of the tranmitter, and hang something massive off it, which lasts months.

In my case, I currently use a 1400mAh, which doesn't happen to be larger than the AA ratings. NiMH AAs may be rated more than that in mAh, but they don't tend to hold their charges during the off times as well. They also seem to die after less charge cycles in my experience. Eneloops are the obvious exception for holding charge during non-use, but I still use the 2S because it's easier to charge it alongside all the other Lipos, and I have several already orphaned by planes that I wrecked. For me, it mostly boils down to the fact that my AA charger is upstairs, and all the Lipos go to the airplane room downstairs, so using a 2S saves me having to remember to go up there and charge the AA's, or to retrieve them afterwards.

That's a great point the OP makes. I didn't think about them being 2450 mAh rated. I'm just used to thinking Lipos can outlast them without considering the numbers.
kelstertx is offline Find More Posts by kelstertx