SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
276 Posts
Discussion
LiPo good or bad?

Maidened my EPP Widowmaker wing this morning. The last of about 6 nose dorking bounces damaged the 1800 mAh LiPo. The cells have shifted and one may be puffed. Ok, it's definitely puffed. All three cells were 4.08 v and it took only 208 mAh to charge it completely. It's a new 40c, 2c charge rate E Flite battery.

What do you think?
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:51 PM
heli wrecker extrordinaire
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
once they puff i chuck em.....to much risk and they are too cheap to take the chance on em igniting.
Nute is offline Find More Posts by Nute
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:39 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
276 Posts
Thanks for the response Nute.

I tend to agree but this one isn't a real cheap one. If one cell of 3 is just a little puffy is the risk greatly reduced? Is the risk during charge or discharge?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,810 Posts
An article in one of last years Model Aviation issues stated that as long as the pack still provided a satisfactory output it could be used.

I have used a couple of puffed packs in the past that still gave me satisfactory power. But if they don't hold up under load I chuck them.

And BTW the correct way to dispose of a LiPo is to discharge it completely (light bulb or power resistor), cutoff the main connector and solder the main leads together.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:40 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
An article in one of last years Model Aviation issues stated that as long as the pack still provided a satisfactory output it could be used.

I have used a couple of puffed packs in the past that still gave me satisfactory power. But if they don't hold up under load I chuck them.

And BTW the correct way to dispose of a LiPo is to discharge it completely (light bulb or power resistor), cutoff the main connector and solder the main leads together.

Glen
Same here. I used a 6s pack that got a little puffy after each flight and still got about 40 more cycles out of it before it finally wouldn't hold up under load.

I'll also give a +1 to the disposal method that ggcrandall1 gave. Don't soak them in a salt water bath as many people do.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:35 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
276 Posts
Thanks guys.