SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:16 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,187 Posts
I wonder if this is OT, but no encounters with birds yet, but dogs at the park worry me.

Couple weeks ago, a gent flying his really old beat up full size Parkzone T28 (it was held together by glue, Hurricane tape and some red packing tape) at the local park.

Some dog took a liking to the red and white T28 and figured it was something that needed fetching, which he did.

Poor dog owner shelled out $200. I think the flyer went straight to the LHS for a new PZ T28
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
I wonder if this is OT, but no encounters with birds yet, but dogs at the park worry me.

Couple weeks ago, a gent flying his really old beat up full size Parkzone T28 (it was held together by glue, Hurricane tape and some red packing tape) at the local park.

Some dog took a liking to the red and white T28 and figured it was something that needed fetching, which he did.

Poor dog owner shelled out $200. I think the flyer went straight to the LHS for a new PZ T28
every place i have ever been,dogs have to be on a leash
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:14 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
every place i have ever been,dogs have to be on a leash
Dogs on leash, and no flying planes.....

Guess we are all going to jail.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:42 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
My dad's dog took an interest to my plane and started chasing it. The dog ran out of energy before the battery did. If it hadn't I would have simply flown it out far then turned back and landed it at my feet.

Birds seem to ignore the small UM planes for the most part. The Mig on the other hand they all run from. Must be the difference in the sound coming from it.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Last edited by AustinG; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:55 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,403 Posts
I don't consider the topic starter insane or inconsiderate. I have had a few large bird of prey fly in and inspect my EasyStar but mostly from a distance. They seem attracted until they hear the motor.

Especially after reading a heated debate over an on-board video of a hawk attacking (and possibly getting hurt by the prop of a flying wing) I have decided to actively avoid all kinds of birds getting too interested. First of all because I don't want to risk hurting the bird, secondly because I don't want to give our hobby a bad reputation.

Then there is the dog issue: Sometimes I fly from a seaside park (mainly over the water), but often dogs (not on leashes) starts chasing wildly up and down the beach after the plane. I guess the propeller/ESC whine is irresistible. So far it has been to the complete entertainmain of the dog owners, and some even took the time complimenting my plane/flying and thanking me for helping exercising their four-legged friend thoroughly

Check out the barking dog at the end of the video. Eventually he was so worn out, that I feared he'd have a heart attack
Multiplex TwinStar 2 sunny seaside flight, low and slow (1 min 20 sec)

I am expecting the day where a dog will take my plane to pieces, but I'm prepared to take that loss on my own account. I still consider my hobby a minority activity compared to dog exercising. But normally, I can keep my plane in the air for longer than the dog owner takes to pass. Last resort is to catch the plane by hand when landing - works well with an EasyStar pusher plane, but it will normally end a little bloody with tractor propped planes
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:26 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,071 Posts
Frankly, when we reach the point where birds have more rights than man to the point where flying a HobbyZone Champ anywhere in its vicinity is harassment at least and a crime at worst, then I'm going to resign from the human race and do as I please.

There is reasonable consideration for not causing harm and then there is utter insanity. These tree huggers/animal rights wackos are insane and deserve no respect whatever. They and Charlie Manson belong in the same cell.

I don't expect law enforcement to understand this but here's the score:

Hawk vs. Champ. There is zero hazard to the Hawk from this plane. There is 100% hazard to the plane. No foul there, if the man with the plane does anything short of an intentional collision with the hawk. Of course we are discounting any on-board weapons or intent to harm the hawk.

Hawk vs. Slow Stick. I consider that my 200 watt motor and 11" prop do pose a potential for harm to the Hawk. I will not approach the Hawk under any circumstances and won't launch if he's in sight. If I am flying and he enters the field and if he then seeks interaction with my plane, I will cut the motor completely regardless of consequences to the plane when there is any possibility of contact. I will also land as quickly as possible, giving him time to leave the area. If I determine that I'm within his personal space, I'll fly elsewhere.

Folks, birds have freedom of movement that no RC plane has. If they are attacking a plane, it is by their choice, not because we have "harassed them. I know on the left coast man is evil and ebola is good, but they are insane. Seeking physical contact between a plane and a bird is wrong. It doesn't need to be a crime any more than being insane is a crime.

I flew formation with pelicans on the beach with a 6' wingspan sailplane for years. They and I were just about identical in size. Interestingly, If I identify a formation and try to join up on either wing, they will immediately break formation and sometimes take hostile action. If I then dive out of there, they don't follow.

However, if I'm flying alongshore by myself and a formation of pelicans spots me, the entire formation will often divert course and form up in a V with me at the point. This is frustrating because my intent was to learn from them. But if they can see me they're fine. If I'm behind they aren't quite sure and bail out. If I'm leading they're following my lead and I'm not learning anything. When they decide I don't know crap, they leave!

The relationship between sailplane and pelican is strictly one between professional and wannabe: master and fool. They are the best at what they do and they aren't doing instruction!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:53 AM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,055 Posts
there are tons of hawks where i live and when i see them i start flying(slowstick) in large circles. and on a couple of flights have had 2 hawks join the pattern! it was very cool and after a minute orso they drifted away.
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:52 AM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
[QUOTE=mike_o;23978859]I don't consider the topic starter insane or inconsiderate.

Thanks! I don't consider myself insane or inconsiderate either. Glad to see this thread I started is causing some interesting discussions. Thank you for your good, common sense input. Have a nice day friend!
Stingray8854 is offline Find More Posts by Stingray8854
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:17 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
My Dreamflight Weasel still has the battle scars from a redtail hawk attack,
no harm to the bird!
Last hawk attack, I saw it coming, put the Weasel into a roll, and then up elevator to get out of it's way.
Good thing no tree huggers were around! they just have a up mindset.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:45 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFly. View Post
My Dreamflight Weasel still has the battle scars from a redtail hawk attack,
no harm to the bird!
Last hawk attack, I saw it coming, put the Weasel into a roll, and then up elevator to get out of it's way.
Good thing no tree huggers were around! they just have a up mindset.
Battle scars. Reminds me of the old "Black Sheep Squadron" TV show re-runs from the '70s, when they used beer cans to patch up bullet holes in their F4-U Corsairs after scrapping with the Japanese in WW2. The show was highly unrealistic (maybe not the beer can part, but a lot of the rest of the plot), but it was still entertaining.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray8854 View Post
Battle scars. Reminds me of the old "Black Sheep Squadron" TV show re-runs from the '70s, when they used beer cans to patch up bullet holes in their F4-U Corsairs after scrapping with the Japanese in WW2. The show was highly unrealistic (maybe not the beer can part, but a lot of the rest of the plot), but it was still entertaining.
OK now I feel old....but I loved that show...lol Pappy Boyington AKA Robert Conrad was kick ass in that series...was The John Wayne in my age group at that time...
Ginohio is online now Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:12 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,024 Posts
Btw.... Just a question? If a hawk or owl or say an eagle flew into a prop of a small airplane.. Not rc plane but a scale plane..is that harassing a bird of prey? I love my owls around our property I have 2 owl boxes up so I want them around. Just a question is all.
I hit a large barn owl when I was a teen..broke the grill and headlight cover....when I pulled over at that sudden hit and saw it was an owl..It bugged me...Deer are one thing...owls are another
Ginohio is online now Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:43 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
OK now I feel old....but I loved that show...lol Pappy Boyington AKA Robert Conrad was kick ass in that series...was The John Wayne in my age group at that time...
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...baaaaaaa, baaaaaaa, baaaaaaa..." Ah, good stuff indeed. Yeah, Robert Conrad played a good Boyington. I liked ol' Sgt Mickland too, the squadron mechanic. I believe the actor's name was Red West. The real Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington was quite a character. A real hell raiser, and didn't always follow the rules. He'd drink 'em all under the table, and more than once he was known to kick ass and take names if someone got sideways with him. But he was a hell of a fighter pilot and his men respected him. I don't know his tally, but I'm sure he splashed a lot of Zeros and other Japanese planes. An old school, Semper Fi Marine all the way. Oorah!!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:17 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
Btw.... Just a question? If a hawk or owl or say an eagle flew into a prop of a small airplane.. Not rc plane but a scale plane..is that harassing a bird of prey? I love my owls around our property I have 2 owl boxes up so I want them around. Just a question is all.
I hit a large barn owl when I was a teen..broke the grill and headlight cover....when I pulled over at that sudden hit and saw it was an owl..It bugged me...Deer are one thing...owls are another
I'm sure planes hit birds of prey sometimes, and just like your accident with your car, I can't see how it would amount to "harassment" in a legal sense, just an accident.

I kinda doubt airplanes hit owls very often though. Maybe in small town, municipal airports on take off or landing, but I don't think I've ever seen an owl flying much higher than treetop level. I'm from southern Louisiana and our swamps have LOTS of barred owls. I really enjoy watching them and especially listening to them when they're actively calling back and forth out there. They don't just "hoot", it's as if they try to "one up" each other with those crazy "waa waa waa waa waa waa WHOOOAWW!!" calls. Something about that sound, I just think it's really cool.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:07 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,932 Posts
I don't think owls scare easily. I felled a tree (that was going to fall anyway treehuggers) while an owl sat on a limb no more than 10ft away. The owl watched the felling and the logging without batting an eye.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H