SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:57 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
My wife always mentions when changing a flat comes up something she heard decades ago, "you can drive 25 miles on a flat tire", meaning she has no intention of ever changing a flat. Of course, we now have road service via State Farm and a cell phone so that threat is moot.

I think our last car flats were the exploding Goodyears on our Ford Explorer back in 2000, so eliminating the spare seems a reasonable decision.

My personal spare tire is now largely gone, I will have you know Mr.Bee!
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
My wife always mentions when changing a flat comes up something she heard decades ago, "you can drive 25 miles on a flat tire", meaning she has no intention of ever changing a flat.
I saw a woman trying that out on a FWD full sized Buick about 10 years ago.

She was at an intersection trying to make a right turn that was slightly uphill, and the front tire was going flop, flop, flop, flop, flop as she gunned the gas, and blue smoke was pouring out of the rim as it spun inside the tire.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:34 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
No spare might be ok in a city, might, but in a rural era a very bad decision. Even if you do not know or are unable to change a tire, somebody else might be.
Schrott is online now Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott View Post
No spare might be ok in a city, might, but in a rural era a very bad decision. Even if you do not know or are unable to change a tire, somebody else might be.

I was riding my bicycle in a rural area one time about 20 years ago, and I was sitting next to the road taking a break. Along comes a woman driving a full sized van with the right front tire flat. She pulled up next to me and asked if I could change it for her. I had a tough time because her jack wouldn't fit under the van with the tire flat, so I had her drive it up on a piece of wood to get more clearance.

In the middle of changing the tire for her she says "Is this going to take a long time ?....I've got places to go !".

I was about ready to drop the van on the ground and walk away.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:10 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I've been halted by flat tires three times in my life - twice by embedded debris (nail or screw), and once for no known cause, likely a twerp letting the air out.

After installing my spare, I fixed one leak myself ($5 patch kit) and twice by service stations (~$15, including testing the tire where no leak was found). Average delay was 15 minutes to change the tire, followed by 30-45 minutes at a service station.

Had I not had the spare, the initial delay would probably be double or triple, and without a AAA membership or other road hazard service, would probably cost upwards of $100 for a tow/wrecker to fix or tow to a garage. Worth it for me, including the added fuel costs of hauling the spare around.

I like the idea of a plug-in all electric drivetrain with ICE lifeboat ala Volt. As competition flourishes, prices will drop. I'm patient; got at least another 30 years expected in this body.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē View Post
I've been halted by flat tires three times in my life - twice by embedded debris (nail or screw), and once for no known cause, likely a twerp letting the air out.

After installing my spare, I fixed one leak myself ($5 patch kit) and twice by service stations (~$15, including testing the tire where no leak was found). Average delay was 15 minutes to change the tire, followed by 30-45 minutes at a service station.

Had I not had the spare, the initial delay would probably be double or triple, and without a AAA membership or other road hazard service, would probably cost upwards of $100 for a tow/wrecker to fix or tow to a garage. Worth it for me, including the added fuel costs of hauling the spare around.

I like the idea of a plug-in all electric drivetrain with ICE lifeboat ala Volt. As competition flourishes, prices will drop. I'm patient; got at least another 30 years expected in this body.
In the case of some of these cars, like the Volt, instead of a spare, you do get a electric inflater and a sealant system, so you aren't totally on your own if you do come out to a flat. The pressure monitoring helps a lot to prevent taking off and killing a low tire, a cell phone helps for being stranded.

I've had quite a few leaks from nails and screws too, but with monitoring, it has been easy enough to keep the pressure up until hitting a tire shop.

As a side note- the last 3 times I have had a nail, and went to the local discount tire (2x) and goodyear shop (1x) - they plugged the tires for free - I had no idea they did that !
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-hybrid-video/
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:43 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I like the truthaboutautos site and videos!

It's always a problem when you build more than you sell!
Quote:
This week, Ford Motor Co. said it was offering hefty discounts of more than $10,000 on leasing its slow-selling Focus electric vehicle.

The Dearborn automaker also said on its website that it has dropped the base price of the Focus EV by $2,000 for cash sales and is offering up to $10,750 off for three-year-leases.

Ford is also offering a $2,000 cash discount on the Focus EV and 1.9 percent financing if purchased through Ford Motor Credit.

The automaker sold just 685 Focus EVs in 2012, while it built 1,627 Focus EVs — making it one of the poorest performers among electric vehicles on the market.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-start-in-2013
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:49 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
114 Posts
You can't buy a Focus EV unless you live in Atlanta, Austin, Houston, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, New York, Orlando, Phoenix, Tucson, Portland, Raleigh Durham, Richmond, Seattle, or Washington, D.C.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:29 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,586 Posts
That reminds me a little bit of the early Diesel Pick Up, they did not sell.
When I bought in 92 a GMC 3500 turbo Diesel, I payed 5,000 less than what the gas truck was going for and GMCA gave me a financing that was 3% lower than the gas truck financing.
The hitch, just 3 gas station in the county sold Diesel and since I worked in the reservation, were there was only 4 gas station that sold Diesel and it cost $1 more than at home I had to put a 200 gallon tank in the truck.
It took another 5 to 8 years till diesel was readyly available at next to every gas station, even in cities like Denver, Abq, Salt Lake or Phoenix.
Today a diesel Pick Up is nothing special and try to bargain, they laugh their butts of, because they sell better than the gas.

Its a birthing problem.

That they just sell them in big cities makes sence to, you need specialy trained mechanics to fix those suckers.
Schrott is online now Find More Posts by Schrott