HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Helmet View Post
Volt heats the coolant, so ICE doesnt need to be warm, Chevy engineers, for once thought of almost everything.
I heard it comes with eco-friendly heated seats too.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
There are a couple of reserved for electric cars parking slots at my local WalMart. Looks like you can plug in and charge.

Riding with my wife, in her 2007 Ford Focus, we have been beside a couple of Volts at stoplights, and watched them vanish into the distance when the light turns green.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:28 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
There are a couple of reserved for electric cars parking slots at my local WalMart. Looks like you can plug in and charge.

Riding with my wife, in her 2007 Ford Focus, we have been beside a couple of Volts at stoplights, and watched them vanish into the distance when the light turns green.
Um, behind you or in front of you, Jim???
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:31 PM
Foamie Freak!
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Electric motors, instant torque! I am very impressed with the way the Volt trans is designed, and operates. In fac,t to be honest I was NOT a fan, untill I took all the GM Volt training, and hands on classes.
Leather Helmet is offline Find More Posts by Leather Helmet
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:51 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
The Leaf has a single speed tranny. No variable, nothing. It's good from 0-90mph.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:52 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leather Helmet View Post
Hey, in the OP,s first paragraph. The Chevrolet Volt is WHAT YOU NEED!!!
Be advised that GM also has a Caddy ETS in the works. Same technology as the Volt.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:01 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Joined Aug 2007
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Toyota is rumoured to have jacked up the thermostat level on their cars from the early 2000's in order to meet emissions requirements, which led to a lot of complaints about "oil gelling" which was never that much of an issue before except on cars with turbos.

Toyota might have had an F-1 team, and might be big in engineering on hybrids, but some of the engineering they do is sometimes shady and questionable at best.
Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive system is uniquely ingenious. They employ a Power Split Device for their hybrid tranny. It uses only 6 gears - a ring, a sun and four planetary gears. Together with a motor/generator1 and motor/generator2 they achieve remarkable efficience.

There is also no convential starter motor on the Toyota hybrids. The ICE is started through the tranny.

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/ scroll down for a working demo of the PSD.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
When we start our Camry Hybrid, the lights light up and the hybrid system energizes. Because the ICE is cold, it starts up a few seconds later - about the time we back down the driveway and into the street.

The air conditioning is electric but cabin heat is still provided by a heater core. Thus, the need for the ICE to be fully warm. .
So in colder weather, the ICE is going to be running anyway and recharging the battery, so having it topped off at the house would be only a minor advantage, if any. Got it.

The Volt is a very nice piece of technology, but a bit too expensive for me. But I like its range with such a small gas tank!
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:09 PM
Foamie Freak!
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined May 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Be advised that GM also has a Caddy ETS in the works. Same technology as the Volt.
yep, sure do, they told us in training...saw pics last week, looks good.
Leather Helmet is offline Find More Posts by Leather Helmet
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:12 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,452 Posts
You can get a grid charger for the Honda's. It more for extending the life of the battery, but that will increase mileage due to a better balanced pack. http://99mpg.com/Projectcars/gridcharger/
My 2004 Honda Civic hybrid gets better mileage on long highway trips. Fairly easy to get 50 mpg hiway. Typically around town it gets 45 mpg. That is with regular all season tires for safer mountain driving. The high mileage tires got about 3 mpg better.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:35 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Um, behind you or in front of you, Jim???
Good one. I wonder if what he is seeing is the battery going dead when they punch it?
56S is offline Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:15 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
You can get a grid charger for the Honda's. It more for extending the life of the battery, but that will increase mileage due to a better balanced pack. http://99mpg.com/Projectcars/gridcharger/
So, of course, someone did indeed think about home recharging of hybrids long ago, but the cost and inconvenience is high for the DIYer.

The Ford C-Max, which I have yet to actually see, much less drive, is a compact and about the size of the Honda Element we use to have, and the Prius. I see it can reach 62MPH in electric mode which is pretty interesting.

But maybe Obama can get the $10,000 credit he wants put in place before I pull the trigger on a hybrid purchase and I can upgrade to the Volt. Have future taxpayers help me buy a car now would be really sweet. [/end fantasy]
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:17 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,452 Posts
My Hondas main battery failed at about 109,000 miles. The dealer wanted over $4,000 to replace it. After telling them I would scrap the car before paying that, they decided about $1,500 was enough. The Honda drives with a failed main battery, the Toyota's do not.
Toyota makes a grid charger for its regular Hybrids, but they keep it to themselves. If a Prius has a dead pack, the dealer has to call someone to bring a charger, and do the charging.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:13 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
A couple of reasons why the EPA numbers are inflated for the C-Max. Can you believe they don't use ethanol-added gasoline to do the tests?
Quote:
EPA officials are in the process of getting a C-Max to test themselves at the agency's fuel-economy laboratory in Ann Arbor, Mich. They want to study the vehicle, in part, because it presents a new technology wrinkle that may be flummoxing its long-standing tests. The car is designed to go as fast as 62 miles per hour using batteries alone. The EPA's traditional highway test is conducted at an average speed of 48.3 miles per hour and a top speed of 60.

The agency in 2008 added new tests designed to narrow the gap with real-world driving by simulating highway speeds up to 80 mph, as well as driving in hot and cold weather. It is also considering conducting tests using gasoline cut with 10% ethanol, like most commercially available fuel, instead of the pure gasoline prescribed now. The 10% ethanol blends tend to drop mileage by 3% to 4%, the agency says.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...E_Video_second
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
So in colder weather, the ICE is going to be running anyway and recharging the battery, so having it topped off at the house would be only a minor advantage, if any. Got it.

The Volt is a very nice piece of technology, but a bit too expensive for me. But I like its range with such a small gas tank!
Agreed. The volt is expensive, when purchased outright. Even after the 7500 dollar tax credit. I've read that something around 80% of volt transactions are for leases at a payment around 350 dollars, which is ridiculously cheap. And you can return it after a few years if you decide it's not for you or if the technology blows up.

I'm between either a Volt lease or the new VW Sportwagen TDi as a second car. I like the Volt simply due to its technology and electric range. I rarely drive more than 10 miles a day at most, so i could in theory go mostly fuel free. On the other hand, i like the idea of a Manual Tranny and diesel efficiency of the VW without the worry to always have it in the garage and charging before a cold morning drive. I also like the sportwagen's cargo space for airplane hauling
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk