HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
It will be OK.

I'm glad to see that you are concerned. It shows that you take pride in what you do.

Your next build will be better. The one after that, better yet. You get the idea. LOL

When I build the perfect model, I'll let you know.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
gotcha lol. Yea well i was using sand paper wraped around the edge to sand that i didnt pay attension that i was sanding around the sheeting also. but the next day i just wraped tape around the sand paper i didnt want sanding and worked much better. I have half of the leeding edge rounded. I plane a bit then sand and just keep working to the other end.
chaos2984 is offline Find More Posts by chaos2984
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
well i got the leading edge all sanded and rounded. looks good to me. Im going to have a friend in my club look everything over and see what he thinks. Then its time to start on the fuse
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:41 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,164 Posts
[QUOTE=chaos2984;24067335 Im going to have a friend in my club look everything over and see what he thinks. [/QUOTE]

You have the right idea!! Your buddies in your club will be the best resource you have.

Rereading about sanding your leading edge..... Do you use a sanding block to sand with or just using the sandpaper in your hand? Most of us use a "block" that is flat and long to make sure we sand evenly. I've made mine out of scrap lumber and I just bought a long one made out of extruded aluminum. It is a Great Planes product. http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr6170.html
here is the list from Tower on some of their sanding tools http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=RAC

You are doing a fine job!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
well i have 2 great planes sanding T blocks. one is 8in other is 22in I use them to continue the shape of the sheeting to leading edge but to round the leading edge i use a piece of sand paper in my had in a U shape and sanded evenly to create a rounded edge like a half moon. That seemed like the best way i could do it
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:19 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,164 Posts
When I shape a leading edge, I start with a couple of rows of making tape with the first row at the back edge of the LE (leading edge). This protects the sheeting from the sanding. I then mostly sand strait off the LE without rounding off the front. My sanding block is moving 90 degrees to the LE. Doing this lets me see if I am following the couture of the wing. You can also sand at a 45 degree angle to the LE to help prevent low spots. The final step in roughing out is to sand lengthwise to the LE to even out high and low spots. Don't be afraid to go back and forth with the lengthwise and perpendicular sanding. After you get both sides sanded, you will be left with a square front on the leading edge. I site down the LE to make sure all looks well and square to the world. Now you can proceed to round the LE. You can use the same technique as the previous sanding or as I will do is take a strip of sand paper about three inches wide. I hold each end of the paper in each hand, pull the paper close to the sheeting so it almost touches the sheeting and and scrub back and forth 90 degrees to the LE. See my very bad drawing After you have the LE rounded the way you want it, remove the masking take and very carefully finish removing the tiny lip left from the masking tape. Touch up what you need to and your done.

I would say you will use your 8 inch block for 99% of the sanding. I also use 80 grit for roughing as it goes faster. A small hobby block plane will make short order of the job and also create less mess (balsa dust).

Building is a learning process. Expect a few mistakes and a few "Hey I could have done it easier this way" after you have finished the job.

You are doing fine for your first build. I can tell you care about the outcome. Do the best you can. It will take at least 1500 models before you can call yourself a "good builder" I'm at 1499 and I'm still in the rotten category

Carry on!!

Ken
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
yea thats how i did it mostly. i used a razor plane to get it close then used the sanding bar and ran it the same way as the sheeting and made it smooth with the sheeting and do the same on the other side. Then instead of taping the sheeting i taped the sand paper so it would slide ont he sheeting and not sand it. Just sand the edge round.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:37 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
yea thats how i did it mostly. i used a razor plane to get it close then used the sanding bar and ran it the same way as the sheeting and made it smooth with the sheeting and do the same on the other side. Then instead of taping the sheeting i taped the sand paper so it would slide ont he sheeting and not sand it. Just sand the edge round.
Sounds good. Keep posting you progress!!

Ken
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
thanx sounds good. today looks like a nice day to fly my foamy at the local school no wind and sunny might have to fly today
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
it was nice outside today 43 sunny no wind good day to fly my apprentice. Didn't feel like driving to the flying field or flying anything bigger. man im getting couped up during winter lol
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:03 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,164 Posts
Freezing rain/ice today. I was building, but am waiting for glue to dry now.

Ken
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
yea i think ill start building again tomorrow took the week off. was sick and didnt feel like it. lol
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
ok got some time to build and i cut and glued together the wing tips. going to wait for the braces to dry before i sand and mount them to the wing.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
ok got some building in and put the wing tips on the wing and got the flap surface built. see if you can see the noob mistake on bracing lol
Im getting close to starting the fuse.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:17 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,164 Posts
You are turning into a building fool I wish I could build half as fast as you. I guess my biggest hold up is fixing crashed airframes. I swear rebuilding takes four times longer than building new.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

OH, just knock out the misplaced piece of wood and put one in the right way. Nobody will ever know the difference. Never mind the million people who will see the photo you posted