HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:00 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
I don't even think a rant needs to be warranted, it's his right, and it's a public forum, and he should be able to say whatever he wants, for whatever reason.

That being said...people shouldn't expect that everyone will agree with them, and shouldn't get hot and bothered when other opinions and thoughts are shared. Otherwise he can open a thread, get his rant on, then close right away.

All of the comments though are still subject to the rules and regs set out by the owner and mods.
There are rules , and there are laws ... Sure you can rant and rave - everyone has there moment for what ever reason ...

But whether its warranted is important , bit like shooting some one on your front lawn .. Butt ! was the shooting warranted ? The difference is whether your a hero or a felon looking to do a 30 to life stretch ...

Its those little details like libel , problem with putting stuff in writing is some one might save it .. Its one thing to look foolish , its another to go to court and answer for your words ...

yes , you have a right to what you believe - but if you express your views , better be prepared to back them up !

And Im not saying it would come to that , as running a forum takes a thick skin , and this forum seems to be run with a lot of understanding ()
But thinking you have a right to say anything you want - Think again - very carefully , otherwise one day - you might tick off some one with a thin skin .

I myself came very close to taking legal action against a forum owner a few years ago because I was accused of plagiarism . ( Falsely ) I had more than enough proof to destroy them in court , and to file criminal charges ..

But decided against it at the last minute ... I think they realized how much deep poo they were in and that was enough for me .
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:03 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Man, I really only tried to make sense to the kid in the begining of all this, but it seemed to aggitate him into even more of a fit. I normally dont get involved with this type of thread, but thought I might calm him down a bit.

These types of rants dont help anyone out in the hobby, unless it is reporting a very unscrupulous vender, which is something we all would want to know about.

And FYI, I dont report any threads or people, period, never have and never will.

Maybe Evercopter will come back someday with a better attitude and a clearer head. I sure hope so, he seemed to love the hobby.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:27 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
There are rules , and there are laws ... Sure you can rant and rave - everyone has there moment for what ever reason ...

But whether its warranted is important , bit like shooting some one on your front lawn .. Butt ! was the shooting warranted ? The difference is whether your a hero or a felon looking to do a 30 to life stretch ...

Its those little details like libel , problem with putting stuff in writing is some one might save it .. Its one thing to look foolish , its another to go to court and answer for your words ...

yes , you have a right to what you believe - but if you express your views , better be prepared to back them up !

And Im not saying it would come to that , as running a forum takes a thick skin , and this forum seems to be run with a lot of understanding ()
But thinking you have a right to say anything you want - Think again - very carefully , otherwise one day - you might tick off some one with a thin skin .

I myself came very close to taking legal action against a forum owner a few years ago because I was accused of plagiarism . ( Falsely ) I had more than enough proof to destroy them in court , and to file criminal charges ..

But decided against it at the last minute ... I think they realized how much deep poo they were in and that was enough for me .
Yup, agree completely. While a comment may be within the rule structure here, it may also get that person in some other kind of trouble down the line.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Man, I really only tried to make sense to the kid in the begining of all this, but it seemed to aggitate him into even more of a fit. I normally dont get involved with this type of thread, but thought I might calm him down a bit.

These types of rants dont help anyone out in the hobby, unless it is reporting a very unscrupulous vender, which is something we all would want to know about.

And FYI, I dont report any threads or people, period, never have and never will.

Maybe Evercopter will come back someday with a better attitude and a clearer head. I sure hope so, he seemed to love the hobby.
You sure did try to help, just like others did. So many times these rants get started and it takes about 10 seconds to realize the root issue isn't about the vendor or other person they are talking about. So many of these HK rants are responded to by people either giving their experiences, or trying to help and give suggestions. In this case, he didn't really want to listen to anyone, just rant. I suspect he will be back, one only has to look at the amount of people who get banned that end up coming back with socks, only to get banned again. It's hard looking in from the outside and not being able to play when everyone else is having fun!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Man, I really only tried to make sense to the kid in the begining of all this
Much as his manner was abrasive and put others on the defense/attack, so was yours. Sometimes the message is lost when the words you choose are wrong. You degraded the kid, rather than advise a peer.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Much as his manner was abrasive and put others on the defense/attack, so was yours. Sometimes the message is lost when the words you choose are wrong. You degraded the kid, rather than advise a peer.
Duely noted, I guess that I write the way I would speak to someone in person and that may be due to the kind of "lifestyle'" I've led.

I know that once he became accusatory, I went into a defensive mode.

I need to work on my people skills on the internet and I keep forgetting that voice tone and facial expression isnt in the mix, also I need to remember that there are some young kids on these forums and talking to them as a full grown man isnt the most diplomatic way to go.

I did not in any way mean to degrade anyone and for that I appologise.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
No need to apologize. I wasn't very nice to him either.

I think the overall message to anyone, including the OP, is:

"It's okay to be a jerk. It just won't get you what you want often."
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:54 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
No need to apologize. I wasn't very nice to him either.

I think the overall message to anyone, including the OP, is:

"It's okay to be a jerk. It just won't get you what you want often."
To that I would say:

It's ok to be a jerk, but expect the receiving end to also be a jerk
It's ok to be spell out your opinions, but expect others to have an opinion too
it's ok to have a silly hat on at times, but expect others to be silly too
it's ok to rant, but expect others to come out swinging as well

Some people just can't understand that RCG is a public forum; if you rant, throw yourself out there; you're going to get responses; and some of those response may not fall into what you think is "right".

If you think you're absolutely in the right, then by all means use PM; or use your own blog, heck, go in the mirror and talk to yourself; vent it off; but don't expect to post in a public forum and expect no responses.

BTW - this wasn't meant or geared towards you arrow...it's for someone else...actually my best buddy here.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Oh Oh oh oh pick me Mr Kotter!

It's me right?

(donning silly hat and suit)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Thank goodness, for a moment I thought you were making fun of my hat.