SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Ganno, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:27 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
47 Posts
Build Log
Assassin wing

Well I have done it again, I have started another plane before finishing the Wirraway the reason behind this decision is because of my local flying field and as I am still learning to fly and have not yet received my bronze wings for flying I am still at the whim of the instructors being at the field at the same time I am of which we do not seem to cross paths very often or it is to windy to fly so after almost a year and only 5 flights I feel that I may still need to have that buddy instructor next to me before I go solo, All though I do enjoy visiting the field and talking to the members and watching them fly. Over this time I have noticed one thing that there is always a wing present at the field at any given time and they say that they are easy to fly and the foam ones are very resilient to crashes. So this leads me to the building of a wing shape style of aircraft.
criteria
A: It will be able to fly on a windy day
B: indestructible
C: quick to build
D: cheap to get in the air.

With all this in mind I started my search and came across the Assassin by www.crashtesthobby.com and thought this is a great first wing build for me. Lee is very helpful and the delivery to OZ was no trouble at all. So I purchased a multi pack of 3 wings just in case someone else the field would like one and I maybe even able to start up a combat day with them.

So here is my new build under way,
Enjoy, Ganno
Ganno is offline Find More Posts by Ganno
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ganno; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,117 Posts
You will enjoy the wing. While I fly a larger one (Grim Reaper) all of Lees wings do very well in the winds. I live on the very flat and windy plains in the U.S. A normal wind condition is 10 MPH, most of the time it blows more--it only changes directions. I have even gotten used to launching down wind when its blowing hard. I know it defies logic but it works!
I also have couple of his other designs, the Albatross and the Storm Chaser. The Albatross is considered a trainer but its a great little airplane. Fits in the back seat or trunk quite easily. I use it to train new pilots and introduce experienced pilots to FPV (its a pod engine mount). It also flies well in the wind. The Storm Chaser is the big brother of the Albatross--I use it for FPV. While its not fast, it hauls a ton, long flight times and is great in winds.
Anyway, keep us posted on your build and the first flight.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:44 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
757 Posts
Good stuff. When I finally got my bronze wings, I decided I needed something I could throw in the car any time to have a quick flight and ended up getting the S&B Models Komet which is similar to your flying wing. It's made of EPP foam and is almost indestructible.

What worked well for me is that it's also quite good in the wind. In my case, any attempt at a downwind launch has always ended in disaster. It took a little getting used to doing a hand launch, gotta keep any / all body parts away from that little prop for sure.

If you run into Robin Day at your flying field, he used to fly up in Queensland where I fly. Do look forward to seeing pictures of your Wirraway, got to see one of those full size flying at Bundaberg several years back.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:26 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
47 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys,

1Fullbird
I do feel that the assassin is the right wing for me and thanks for the vote of confidence in buying from a company that knows how to design and fly such a great product.

Tobermei
I will say g'day to Robin from you next time I catch up with him and thanks for reading my wirraway build I am enjoying it but I do love detail and am not quite sure how far to go with it yet.
I'll try not to disappoint

Cheers,
Ganno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CAC Wirraway
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:03 PM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
47 Posts
Update on the wing

Waiting on parts so as to finish the wing has been a long and draw out process.

I wanted to use all Futaba gear and Australia had none of what I was wanting in stock so i had to buy offshore.
All the parts have now arrived so I got stuck into it once again and over a lazy Saturday I had everything installed and trimmed to length. One thing I have done different to the instructions is install the kiwi EZ connectors to the servo horn so as to help keep the weight forward.
If I was to build another Assassin I would move the battery forward another 5-10mm as the C of G is to close to being wrong with the 1300mha battery or leave it were it is and replace it with a larger mha battery.

Next step is to personalise it

SPEC'S:
AUW: 16.5oz (470kg)
Futaba 3Ch Rx,
Futaba S3156 MG Digital 0.3oz x2,
RedBack 3s 1300mha LiPo,
AXI2208/34 outrunner,
Jeti 08plus 10amp ESC,
APC 8x4 pusher prop.
CG 6.5" (165mm) from nose tip
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ganno; Mar 15, 2013 at 06:21 AM.