HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined Apr 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1 View Post
I have a similar setup to yours. GoPro3 Black, FatShark Attitude, OSD boards, and Futaba T8J. With NAZA voltage protection disabled I can easily fly a fast smooth FPV flight for 10 minutes an still have a battery that reads a safe 11.1 volts afterwards.

I suspect you'll take a big hit in flight time by installing Zenmuse though since it's 164 grams which is about 18% of the stock Phantom's weight! If your main interest is FPV you should probably not install a heavy gimbal.

The Futaba T8J is a very easy install since using the s-bus plug it's a direct plug-in replacement for the stock Phantom radio rx. I don't know what the maximum range is, but with clear line of sight and good antenna orientation it easily exceeds the limit the Phantom can safely travel and return on a standard battery. The farthest out I've traveled with my setup is 1.2 miles.
Wow 1.2 miles....BB1 I would be interested in your exact setup. I have the Fatshark Attitude with Spironet antenna and recently upgraded to the ImmersionRC 600mw Tx and I still only get around 300m before video starts breaking up? Also, what do you recommend for settings on low voltage protection...or do you disable it altogether (how would I do that)? It seems you wouldn't want the Phantom auto landing on your way back home.
dbundick is offline Find More Posts by dbundick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2013, 10:52 AM
Czech Republic, Karlovy Vary Region
Joined May 2013
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
guys plz i need to know what to buy
and i need it fast befour my wife waste all my mony
anybody knows which motor is beter ?
Tomorrow I'll order the "MN2214", they are not the best response, although not entirely cheap.
My Phantom strongly vibrates at full throttle, so the more reason.
gardenroute is offline Find More Posts by gardenroute
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Go Africa 2013 Expedition
Old Jul 07, 2013, 11:02 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
guys plz i need to know what to buy
and i need it fast befour my wife waste all my mony
anybody knows which motor is beter ?

You'll want to get the T-Motors. Get them from Monto RC Hobby. Not only are they a fine sponsor of this forum but they are also the North American Distributors for Tiger Motors. Jim is a great guy and has always gone out of his way to help me.
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Jul 07, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2013
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
You'll want to get the T-Motors. Get them from Monto RC Hobby. Not only are they a fine sponsor of this forum but they are also the North American Distributors for Tiger Motors. Jim is a great guy and has always gone out of his way to help me.
Thanks all so thanks symonses and gardnerout well
I know about t motors I though before spending my mony on them I should be sure that they are best choice well I guess I got m answer and I am rushing now
Course my wife is coming home and the. I will be have to split my month bonus with her :-)
So white motors here I come !!!!!
And flodble landing gears
And gimbal :-)

By the way anybody bought dji gimbal ? I not even consider it it way pricy , but would like to know, I had a bet with some friend that they will fall with this one

I think they were to drunk out successful selling the phantom
But as me and my friend talked that the same day they will come out more then 10 gimbals will come out half price and 90% performance minimum, and actually the next week after the release there were more then 40

So does anybody got dji gimbal?
And what gimbal will u vote ?
koop is online now Find More Posts by koop
Old Jul 07, 2013, 11:22 AM
France, Aquitaine, Sarbazan
Joined Jul 2013
4 Posts
I wonder if we can change the LED color that are below to respect the laws of civil aviation, red green left right and not a green front and red at the rear.

My second question is, are there any of upgrad kit? (motor, Proppeler)

thanks in advance.
FrenchyShaft is offline Find More Posts by FrenchyShaft
Old Jul 07, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Mar 2013
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchyShaft View Post
I wonder if we can change the LED color that are below to respect the laws of civil aviation, red green left right and not a green front and red at the rear.

thanks in advance.
We were just discussed about it
Hacker A20-30M
https://www.aero-model.com/8_64_874/...M/A20-30M.html

T-motor NAVIGATOR MN2214-11 KV:920 (link)
http://www.multirotor.co/product_inf...roducts_id=170

SunnySkys 2212 kv980 (link)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-SUNNYSKY-...-/121121017629

DJI Phantom Motor Upgrade! T-Motor MT2216-11 900KV
http://www.aerialtechnology.com/shop...2216-11-900kv/

Most vote went for t motor's which as user mention are prebalanced better made and stronger

You can get cf props or wooden ones and they are all over this forum,
I use groupner 9,45 which are very nice in my point of view (not an expert)
You can get symonsys folding landing gears which are great
You can get fpv gear which is great, telementry, and much much more
Old Jul 07, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,043 Posts
one should consider APC 8 X 3.8 props. Very little balancing if any, inexpensive and very stiff. A perfect fit for the phantom.
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Jul 07, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Mar 2013
253 Posts
Quote:

thanks in advance.
Welcome dude,
if you cruise through the previous post in this thread, you'll find answers, pictures, review/feedback etc for most of your questions. People here are more than happy to help out, and it is a great forum for Phantom owners out to upgrade & improve their rigs. I find this thread has much less off topic arguing, and is not so hard to find info as in the massive Phantom dicussion thread.

If you want to change the LED lights, all you have to do is desolder theESC (the LEDs are integrated in the Phantom ESC), and relocate them in the manner you mention. It's a bit of work, but not that much if you can solder.

I plan on swapping out my ESC all together very soon, and as the LEDs is an integrated part of the stock phantom ESC, I won't have any LEDs undeneath my Phantom at all. I haven't desided on which ESC I will install, but they will prbably be some 20A ones, possibly 30A, but for sure have the possibility to flash them with SimonK firmware. I will loose that annoying high pitch sound the ESC makes at the same time.

Cheers
simensays is offline Find More Posts by simensays
Last edited by simensays; Jul 07, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Mar 2013
401 Posts
can u do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simensays View Post
Welcome dude,
if you cruise through the previous post in this thread, you'll find answers, pictures, review/feedback etc for most of your questions. People here are more than happy to help out, and it is a great forum for Phantom owners out to upgrade & improve their rigs. I find this thread has much less off topic arguing, and is not so hard to find info as in the massive Phantom dicussion thread.

If you want to change the LED lights, all you have to do is desolder theESC (the LEDs are integrated in the Phantom ESC), and relocate them in the manner you mention. It's a bit of work, but not that much if you can solder.

I plan on swapping out my ESC all together very soon, and as the LEDs is an integrated part of the stock phantom ESC, I won't have any LEDs undeneath my Phantom at all. I haven't desided on which ESC I will install, but they will prbably be some 20A ones, possibly 30A, but for sure have the possibility to flash them with SimonK firmware. I will loose that annoying high pitch sound the ESC makes at the same time.

Cheers
Please correct me if I am wrong , doesn't the ESC are built on the main board which means its one piece ( the hole board ESC RX ...)
?
Old Jul 07, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,275 Posts
No they are separate
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Jul 07, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2013
101 Posts
Quote:

My second question is, are there any of upgrad kit? (motor, Propeller)

thanks in advance.
I did a swap on mine, it's quite easy... Just remove the motor and ESC assembly from the front right and swap assembly with the left rear. All your doing is desoldering 4 wires total, then swapping connectors on the Naza. Almost forgot the cable lengths to the Naza are different, one is shorter and will need an extension cable.

For me it's easier flying when I know left right orientation, rather than front back, at distance sometimes it harder to tell if it's heading away or toward you. Left right it very easy to see....

Since mine is still apart, I'm also going to try the product "Never Wet", picked up some at Home Depot the other day. Plan to spray both sides of all the circuit boards and the whole inside of the Phantom case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simensays View Post

Cheers
you can add an LED module back inside, saw a video of a Phantom clone and that was how he did it.
BruceTS is offline Find More Posts by BruceTS
Last edited by BruceTS; Jul 08, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Mar 2013
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTS View Post
you can add an LED module back inside, saw a video of a Phantom clone and that was how he did it.
Sure, but i don't need the LEDs, or really use them while flying LOS. I fly mostly FPV, and don't want to add any more weight (yeah, they don't weigh much, but every gram counts )

The Stock ESC weight only 10g or so, and the suitable upgrade ESC I'm looking at weight more than 20g, but in fairness, that is including some wire ends and heat shrink, so I will be able to get the weight down for them a little.

I have rumors of some small 20A ESC preflashed with SimonL firmware coming soon (in a couple of weeks from what I've been told), that will fit perfectly in the Phantom, and are supposed to be very light weight, so I'll be waiting to see what they are like before upgrading the ESC.

I have fried one of my stock ESC at the moment, and replacement ESC are stuck in customs (along with my new Futaba 14SG and PowerLab 8), so I'm grounded at the moment, which suck bg time with the perfect flying conditions we have these days...
simensays is offline Find More Posts by simensays
Old Jul 07, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbundick View Post
Wow 1.2 miles....BB1 I would be interested in your exact setup. I have the Fatshark Attitude with Spironet antenna and recently upgraded to the ImmersionRC 600mw Tx and I still only get around 300m before video starts breaking up? Also, what do you recommend for settings on low voltage protection...or do you disable it altogether (how would I do that)? It seems you wouldn't want the Phantom auto landing on your way back home.
Exactly the same configuration and range that I got.

FS Attitude + Spironet + 600mW transmitter ~ 300m

5.8GHz is very sensible and if you try to go just a little bit further, the signal drops suddenly and you get a wonderful black screen
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 07, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
3d printed DJI Phantom Modificatation (MOD)

3D Printed DJI Phantom modification

Customized landing gear for brushless gimbal setup
available for free download if you have a 3d printer from Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:112017

Dji Phantom Landing Gear 3D Printed (0 min 8 sec)
phantomlvr is offline Find More Posts by phantomlvr
Old Jul 07, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2007
182 Posts
I have had my Phantom apart before but I still don't get how the USB cable effects the left green LED bar??
t-rexn8 is offline Find More Posts by t-rexn8