SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Props... again

Is there any definitive body of result-based information out there about the efficiency (lifting ability, response, flight time, etc) of the various prop choices we have for the Phantom? I've searched this and other multi-rotor forums trying to find the elusive 'perfect prop'' but so much info out there seems to be subjective or inconclusive. I've used stock props, Chinese cf props, Graupner, props, APC props, cheap props, outrageously expensive props, flexi props, stiffy props and so on, and I've reamed and balanced myself half stupid looking for the big 'Wow!' at lift off. I have to say I only come away with with impressions like 'it SEEMS to fly longer, it FEELS to fly quicker, or it SOUNDS smoother'. Or not. As a new flyer, I don't suppose I have the experience level to really form an educated opinion, and I guess prop choices could depend on load and type of flying one does. Or maybe the differences are really so subtle I can't make the differentiation. Any thoughts?
30sbound is offline Find More Posts by 30sbound
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:32 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to setup GoPro to take pictures according to a TX command?

It would be great have the opportunity to take photos while flying/filming...
With GoPro3 you can set Auto-Shoot for every N seconds (even while filming). Thats great. I set mine for taking 1 picture every 5, so in 5 minutes flight I'll have in SD, 1 video file and around 60-70 hi-res pictures for choosing best.
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30sbound View Post
Is there any definitive body of result-based information out there about the efficiency (lifting ability, response, flight time, etc) of the various prop choices we have for the Phantom? I've searched this and other multi-rotor forums trying to find the elusive 'perfect prop'' but so much info out there seems to be subjective or inconclusive. I've used stock props, Chinese cf props, Graupner, props, APC props, cheap props, outrageously expensive props, flexi props, stiffy props and so on, and I've reamed and balanced myself half stupid looking for the big 'Wow!' at lift off. I have to say I only come away with with impressions like 'it SEEMS to fly longer, it FEELS to fly quicker, or it SOUNDS smoother'. Or not. As a new flyer, I don't suppose I have the experience level to really form an educated opinion, and I guess prop choices could depend on load and type of flying one does. Or maybe the differences are really so subtle I can't make the differentiation. Any thoughts?
I think you are trying too hard Get the one that you like the best. It's not like you will see a huge increase in stability/performance etc, even if you go with the world's best prop.

The most important factor is to balance the props. Balance them as good as you can.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:33 AM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30sbound View Post
You've faced a multirotor's mistery

From what I could read, none of the props we used were specifically designed for multirotors and it explains why we're always testing something different.

The simplest thing would believe that DJI have made its own tests and defined that the stock props size are a good compromise between flight time x efficiency for the Phantom's motor.

If you'd like to test new configurations, at least, in theory, use ecalc

http://www.ecalc.ch
rnelias is online now Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:33 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexojeda View Post
Hi,

I broke one of my servo arms, and been browsing many online shops to find a replacement, but havnt been able to, if anyone is servo arm savvy I would appreciate it very much any information on were i can buy a servo arm like this and where.
Image attached:

34mm full length.
1.5" full length.

Many thanks!
I guess you could get that piece from 3D printer service. Search your local dealers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:39 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Quote:
You've faced a multirotor's mistery

From what I could read, none of the props we used were specifically designed for multirotors and it explains why we're always testing something different.

The simplest thing would believe that DJI have made its own tests and defined that the stock props size are a good compromise between flight time x efficiency for the Phantom's motor.

If you'd like to test new configurations, at least, in theory, use ecalc

http://www.ecalc.ch
I tested Zinger, Graupner, Colored Plastic, 8x452 and 9". At the end none provide enough lift and descend (I fly in thin air at 2000 mts ASL) recovery when phantom carries Gimbal, Camera and VTX stuff. Found Pros-Cons in every model. Now 8 white and 4 black, stock balanced sets are in my carry case.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:55 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Phantom would be a Movie Star ? - Non Stock Propellers

Why Collin uses non stock props? Here is in Transformers 4 Set, with Mark Whalberg. (Phantom would be a movie star ?)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:12 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Why Collin uses non stock props? Here is in Transformers 4 Set, with Mark Whalberg. (Phantom would be a movie star ?)
what a shame

Good point! Maybe, we should ask him...

But was talking about size, not material (CF, Plastic, wood)...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:20 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Quote:
what a shame

Good point! Maybe, we should ask him...

But was talking about size, not material (CF, Plastic, wood)...
OK, Any material / brand works and 9" are great for a Phantom carrying heavy stuff..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:24 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Best prop?

I think of props like tires for cars. You match the prop for that current flight and what your trying to do during the flight. FPV flying, sport, 3D, and such you want very responsive, predictable, controls from the platform so smaller stiffer props are best. This is also somewhat true when flying in wind. Smaller props handle the wind better then larger ones and I've also experienced the stock phantom props with their little bit of flex makes flying in the wind less jumpy. I fly CF 9x4.3 in calm to no wind and get very great shots and 8-9 min flights with an AUW of 1280g. My stock motors are a lot cooler then when I'm flying 8" props. So whats the BEST PROP? IMO if I could only fly/bring one set with me I would take 8" CF and get them to perform in any condition without an issue.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:40 AM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
I tested Zinger, Graupner, Colored Plastic, 8x452 and 9". At the end none provide enough lift and descend (I fly in thin air at 2000 mts ASL) recovery when phantom carries Gimbal, Camera and VTX stuff. Found Pros-Cons in every model. Now 8 white and 4 black, stock balanced sets are in my carry case.
I was actually curious about how the phantom performs at altitude. I can't tell from your post - are you unable to get off the ground at 2000 mts asl? Curious, where are you located?
Wangta is online now Find More Posts by Wangta
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:54 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
I was actually curious about how the phantom performs at altitude. I can't tell from your post - are you unable to get off the ground at 2000 mts asl? Curious, where are you located?
Phantom flies great at altitude, but as higher you fly as less sustain you'll have.
I take off normally, but while flying you'll "feel" the thin air doesn't help.
That said, your motors work harder, your aircraft weigth looks like a brick on descents and your flight time is shorter than at Sea Level. Live in Colombia-South America. I flies at 2000 - 2500 mts ASL but some times (summer-times) go 400-500 mts ASL and phantom behaves as if steroids inside.

Here you can watch phantoms flying at 2100 mts ASL:

Arris GimbalTest001 (8 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jumanoc; Jun 26, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Thanks for your responses guys. Although the differences I've seen are slight, I tend towards the 9" cf which seem to be a good middle ground for me for what I do...LOS with gopro, tending to fly in calm winds. As an aside, I did buy the Altitude One altimeter ...interesting to see just how far off my previous estimates of altitude were...amazing how small that bugger looks at 400 feet... Thought I was WAY higher!
30sbound is offline Find More Posts by 30sbound
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmothy View Post
I would not hang to much stuff on the sides of the drone. Or at least not directly under the props. This will effect the downdraft of the props and shorten your flight-times. It looks like these batteries are partially under the props.
Any other ideas how to extend flight time with gimbal and GoPro? With stock battery configuration only about 4-5min.
Mr.Miele is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Miele
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Miele View Post
Any other ideas how to extend flight time with gimbal and GoPro? With stock battery configuration only about 4-5min.
There's a thread here, not related to Phantom, where people discuss about ways of increase flight time. Take a look...