Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:20 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
At last totally jello free for about 1 dollar 1080p at 30 fps

I decided to make a wire suspension with solid electrical copper wire.
It is very soft and should dampen vibrations well.
Also the rubber/plastic insulation won't hurt.

I attached two bits of foam to the Phantom and ran the wires in between making sure they would not touch the screws running through the foam and the plastic plate that holds the foam to the Phantom.

The GoPro goes on top of the platform. In this way the wire can be longer and the GoPro won't stick out under the landing gear. The platform is a plastic end cap of a carton tube, the kind you send posters in. The GP is attached to the platform with 2 rubber bands (in case one snaps) running through 2 slots in the platform and held in place by half a clothes pin.

The whole setup feels solid and flexible at the same time

Hmm, I added 4 attachments, photo's, can't see them anywhere...
I'll put them on my ftp server in stead...

I'm very pleased with the result:
Windmills (1 min 32 sec)
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:29 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingskwerrl View Post
Bo, can you explain more about using the fiber optic cable to see the status light? I've been wondering about a low tech way of seeing it in FPV. I know about osd's but I'm still doing research on them. Maybe I can get along without...
Its really pretty simple. Wheels came up with it, use a piece of fiber-optic cable, I cut up a old audio cable and cut the thick cable then pulled out the fiber in black liner, it is about 2.5mm thick. I simply stuck then one end on the edge of the LED thing in the back. and the other end I put at a angle pointing to the lens about 1cm away from the lens to reduce the size in the image. done, now I see blinking lights litterally.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:33 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomMenace View Post
Another question...If I go with the Fat Shark Attitude, I'm assuming I will need a Tx, Battery (for goggles), and cable to connect my GoPro 2 to the tx? Am I missing anything? Also, reading a lot about what tx to get. I just want one that will provide good range, however, not anything beyond my sight of the phantom.
I swear by immersionRC stuff. it operate on the same system as FatShark.
Check into a kit pack on the FatShark Predators, they come with the kit camera, video TX, goggles and goggle battery and charger. roughly $280 ready to play.

You power the vtx from the extra cable in the Phantom, pull it out through the one leg like the antenna and compass, put a plug on it and connect it to the vtx, the vtx will power the camera, and you can get cables that will connect your GoPro to the vtx and even power the GoPro from the vtx if you like.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:59 AM
Ireland, Kerry, Tralee
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vayrus View Post
gimbal modified from tmf g10

The original tmf g10

antivibration sorbothane

and this..

thanks!

whats this like with the stock legs on, will it fit or do you have to extend the legs ?
Johnopyro is offline Find More Posts by Johnopyro
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, PA
Joined Feb 2013
21 Posts
Thanks Bo...think I'll check into the Predators
ThePhantomMenace is offline Find More Posts by ThePhantomMenace
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:08 PM
I DESIGN QUADCOPTERS
Joined Apr 2012
776 Posts
Where can you get those rubber parts but only the rubber damper
saskya is offline Find More Posts by saskya
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
More modīs

I am a surfer and my work will be on water and all components waterproof
My phantom will be like aquacopter.

osd gps

gopro black usb

osd

gps
vayrus is offline Find More Posts by vayrus
Last edited by vayrus; Feb 16, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
waterproof gimbal, (imu board, servos)

Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:22 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,093 Posts
Vayrus,

I am looking forward to some Phantom surf videos.

Don't forget that the esc's and VTX need airflow for cooling.

Good luck!
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:34 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
@Vayrus, coool project. I have been thinking about the exact same thing.

Curious, why dont you simply dump the Pahntom into a aquacopter.? other than it being a bit bigger and heavier than a Phantom. and personally I like the phantom size just as it is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:41 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
197 Posts
Following this thread is like drinking water from a fire hose

You mention below that you got the goggles with "the kit". What is the kit and where can one buy the kit? Is it 5.8ghz? I really like the cam on top of the Phantom - great for FPV orientation. Would you mind opening your Phantom and snaping a few pix of the cable you talked to @Tim about?

thanks,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@Tim, yes you can definately power your FPV gear from the Phantom, there is a cable already inside, open the shell and push it through the cable port , then put a plug on it so you can plug it into the video transmitter to power everything.

@ThePhantomMenace I have the predator goggles, got them with the kit including a vtx and a camera. hooked it up to power the video/camera from the Phantom, it only require putting plugs on the cable already waiting inside the phantom hull.

I have started to mount the camera backwards a bit under the belly to keep it from getting hit by bright light, it keeps the camera from blacking out when facing the sun. and I made a small post to mount a fiber optic cable on so I can see the blinking status light. picture is my phantom this weekend, I flew it with the Replay on top, a bit bouncy and props in the shot, but no jello, good Replay.!
You can barely see the video tx board under the belly and the bend down video antenna.
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:33 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
Following this thread is like drinking water from a fire hose

You mention below that you got the goggles with "the kit". What is the kit and where can one buy the kit? Is it 5.8ghz? I really like the cam on top of the Phantom - great for FPV orientation. Would you mind opening your Phantom and snaping a few pix of the cable you talked to @Tim about?

thanks,
Jim
Jim, try this link yes it is 5.8 video
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20672

Actually, i have started flying the camera on the bottom of the Phantom, because the body shadows the camera from the sun, if the camera sit on top of the body you will get a black-out when turning into the sun while flying. that is why you want to be under the body with the camera, I fly mine about 1.5-2 inches back from the front.

The power cable is inside, if you open the box you will find the cable, it is grey and LOOSE, only the one end is attached, you can see it in most of the sets of pictures already posted of the inside of the Phantom.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Let's get an extended leg upgrade! We need some room for our gimbals. I want to have this ready before the BL gimbal is released. Any shops want to give us this? Higher and wider would be nice!
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts

ready

cutting

perfect holes

perfect balance

thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Dx8

Hi I'm old and not very good with technical stuff, I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a spektrum dx8 on a phantom? That way I wouldn't have to carry two transmitters and maybe I could have the RTH on a separate switch.

Thanks
rxwarrior is offline Find More Posts by rxwarrior