SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:17 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vayrus View Post
DIY, less weight and vibrations, no finished.

do you happen to have any pics you could post of the lighter landing gear mounted to the phantom? i assume you manufactured these yourself?
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined May 2007
107 Posts
Using the Balance cable to power my TX.

Is this something that is not a good idea or OK? I'm looking to power up my TX without using another Lipo on board. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Tim
TBello is offline Find More Posts by TBello
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:08 PM
United States, PA
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Ordering the Phantom and already have a couple GoPro 2s. Interested in the Fat Shark for FPV, however, not certain which one to get (Predator v2, Dominator, or Attitude). Also, do I have to make any modifications to the Phantom to accomodate?..or will it be plug-n-play?
ThePhantomMenace is offline Find More Posts by ThePhantomMenace
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:12 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,890 Posts
@Tim, yes you can definately power your FPV gear from the Phantom, there is a cable already inside, open the shell and push it through the cable port , then put a plug on it so you can plug it into the video transmitter to power everything.

@ThePhantomMenace I have the predator goggles, got them with the kit including a vtx and a camera. hooked it up to power the video/camera from the Phantom, it only require putting plugs on the cable already waiting inside the phantom hull.

I have started to mount the camera backwards a bit under the belly to keep it from getting hit by bright light, it keeps the camera from blacking out when facing the sun. and I made a small post to mount a fiber optic cable on so I can see the blinking status light. picture is my phantom this weekend, I flew it with the Replay on top, a bit bouncy and props in the shot, but no jello, good Replay.!
You can barely see the video tx board under the belly and the bend down video antenna.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:25 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,890 Posts
This is how the info-light show up in the viewfinder with the fiber optic wheels devised.
This is Google video from the FatShark Kit cam, recorded from the goggles video out to my mini DVR.

FatShark Flight video from DJI Phantom (5 min 6 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:39 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,840 Posts
Bo the video is really fuzzy around the edges. What is causing that? P.S. I like the fiberoptic read out that you set up.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:39 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,890 Posts
Ed, Im thinking its the lens not being "flat field" edges therefore being a bit soft to put it mildly, however I have a couple of these cameras, I should try to swap it to see if that changes. this is probably the $40 ish flight cam.. I keep putting off getting one of their good ones. or one from TBS which is probably what I should do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:51 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,840 Posts
I had a TBS 69 and the video quality was outstanding compared to my Sony 660. Unfortunately sold it with my Discovery.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, PA
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bo. I've been flying electric r/c on and off for the past 5 yrs. and I love all the rapid advances in technology in r/c. Can't wait to get my Phantom and FPV gear.

Also, like the video..especially the beginning where the Phantom is skimmimg across the ground.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, PA
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Another question...If I go with the Fat Shark Attitude, I'm assuming I will need a Tx, Battery (for goggles), and cable to connect my GoPro 2 to the tx? Am I missing anything? Also, reading a lot about what tx to get. I just want one that will provide good range, however, not anything beyond my sight of the phantom.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
82 Posts
Bo, can you explain more about using the fiber optic cable to see the status light? I've been wondering about a low tech way of seeing it in FPV. I know about osd's but I'm still doing research on them. Maybe I can get along without...
Flyingskwerrl is offline Find More Posts by Flyingskwerrl
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one View Post
did you do any color grading in FCP - your colors look saturated in a great way?
red1one, thanks! I did color grading first within the GoPro CineForm studio (just minor saturation stuff & contrast), then took it to FCP and used "Looks" for fine tuning the grade.
cleverpork is offline Find More Posts by cleverpork
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one View Post
for jello, look at snake river prototyping. they make a snap on adaptor for the new gopro3 that accepts a 55mm nd-4 neutral density filter (you can pick these up cheap on ebay) it will eliminate jello in sunny conditions. adds only minimalweight and makes the gopro look bug-eyed cool. i did find i needed to mod my mount to adjust CG.
red1one; I didn't see this post until now, but randomly purchased the snake river device a week ago. And yup, this helped a lot! I'm still working toward a primo setup.

Here's something I've been thinking about. A lot of folks speak of balancing props and motors, but I find that if we're to use this type of setup in a professional manner, we need to do both. If something happens (a minor crash, hit a tree, or what have you) and we're knocked off balance somehow and vibrations are happening, we still need to have it isolated to continue a job. There are a lot of great minds on here and I'm learning tons! Great stuff...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vayrus View Post
This is way cool. I actually came online this morning hoping to see how someone had mounted their GoPro case with a servo! Sweet. I have the Snake River gadget so I couldn't mount to the front piece as you've done, but thanks for sharing! Great stuff.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:34 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,840 Posts
Ok, my mods are done. Graupners and Gary's vibration isolation plate. I will say I got confused and had to assemble it twice, but it is now correct. I will try to fly today or tomorrow. AUW 1.75kg.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Feb 15, 2013 at 04:17 PM.