HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:38 AM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
558 Posts
I installed the MN2214 white motors and flew this weekend with very good results. They do have more punch than the stock motors and they spin with a nice clean sound that is noticeably different than the original motors. The wire leads are not color coded and, as noted, are reversed from the DJI motors. Just reverse the order and verify the props are turning in the correct direction. If you mis-wire and find a motor spinning in reverse, just swap two leads to change the spin direction.
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:15 PM
United States, IL, Cowden
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Go her all together...Finally!

Specs:
Phantom board
NAZA-M
GPS
DJI Flamewheel F450 frame
DJI 30A opto ESC's
DJI Red motors
10" DJI plastic props
ATG Carbon Fiber Anti-Vib Landing gear
fpvpilot gimbal
Hero 3-in water-proof housing
ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8ghz fpv tx
Devo 10 Tx
AX1002 Rx

She fly's pretty good. With no camera or housing, in Atti mode, I'm getting about 5mins flight time out of a Ultra Pulse 2250mah 3S battery. A least that's when the red light starts blinking continuously. Not too happy with that, but I'll tinker with it. Probably change props to Zingers or maybe (Maybe) CF's. I haven't tried my 9x5 zingers...that just may be the ticket. I didn't like the black 8" DJI props. It seemed like I really had to pour the coal to her to get her off the ground.

I still need to do a little tweaking on the gains, but it's gusty windy here today. Need to do a little work on shielding the GPS better, too...I think! Right now, I have it sitting directly on top (centered). I put the stock phantom shielding material down 1st, then the GPS on top of that. I may need to put a piece of the top, too?!?!

RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:32 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,159 Posts
RDTague, Nice build. Looking forward to your video. Happy flying.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2013
43 Posts
so after doing so many upgrades it once again like every other quad and/or hobby.. it just seems like it never comes to an end.. so just to name a few things I have done in the 3 weeks since getting my quad

- upgraded landing legs
- 9x4.7 balanced props
- gopro hero 3 black edition
- immersion gopro cable for fpv
- fatshark predator v2
- 5.8 GHz SpiroNET Omni Antenna Set
- Skylark Tiny OSD III

in a few days I got 2 different brushless gimbals coming in
- WIND1 Brushless Motor Gimbal/Mount for Gopro
- Brushless Camera Gimbal with Brushless Motors Two Axis Carbon Fiber Aerial Photography Camera PTZ Kit

djspeedlv is offline Find More Posts by djspeedlv
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djspeedlv View Post

Nice!
What kind of landing legs are these?
Karmakoma is offline Find More Posts by Karmakoma
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:07 PM
Unregulated User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
758 Posts
Finished my installation today... no more worries about that DJI RX & TX combination any more.

Name: P1190660.jpg
Views: 462
Size: 171.9 KB
Description:
Sac D is online now Find More Posts by Sac D
Old May 01, 2013, 06:51 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Delft
Joined Mar 2013
102 Posts
Quote:

- Brushless Camera Gimbal with Brushless Motors Two Axis Carbon Fiber Aerial Photography Camera PTZ Kit
Woow, I was already looking at these gimbals. Could you please post some pictures and findings when you receive them. I'm really looking forward to this!
Timmothy is offline Find More Posts by Timmothy
Old May 01, 2013, 07:40 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac D View Post
Finished my installation today... no more worries about that DJI RX & TX combination any more.

Attachment 5745522
Is that the HK Orange 2.4 ghz TX? How did you bind with stock RX ?
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 07:55 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,159 Posts
I think he replaced the Rx as well.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old May 01, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
I received my gimbal (not the fancy-schmancy brushless) and was setting it up on my Phantom, and had some questions (from a newbie).
I bought the prebuilt model that had the servos already installed so I couldn't mess up the build. I took the settings from the recommended settings on qaudframe's website: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/013...grande.jpg?290
When I first turned it on, the roll was off quite a bit. their setting says to use 130 in Naza, but I had to use -500 to get it centered.
I assume there would be some variances, but that seemed like a big difference. should I have any concern with having to set the F1 roll like that?
Then once centered it does seem to operate as I would expect (ptich and roll based on the angle of the phantom). However, I noticed that the amount of travel went "rolling" left(if I were a little pilot in the phantom) was much greater than if I were rolling right.
When I look at the gimbal, I can see that the servo's "arm" is bumping into the mount (it's gone as far as it physically can) when rolling right.
Is this to be expected, or is there some adjustment I should be making to the servo or servo arm to provide more travel?
I have made a few modifications to my gimbal

I've cut a bit out so it now travels almost the same amount right and left. I've also used a longer servo arm and then moved the attachment point down lower so it can now travel further left and right.

The gains I am using at the moment are Pitch 58 and Roll 32 which don't seem too bad.
LotusJay is offline Find More Posts by LotusJay
Old May 01, 2013, 10:43 AM
snapdog
United States, MA, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2012
47 Posts
DJI Phantom 360 degree turn on axis while in hover

Anyone suggest a fix for turning the Phantom 360 degrees while hovering in place with GPS on. When I do a quick 360 it works fine, but to a slow 360 in starts running off in the direction of the initial turn, I've re-calibrated the TX, played with several gain settings, but still no fix. My DJI 550 Hexa and QAV500, turned in a perfect 360 circle without drifting. Wondering if anyone has had success with the Phantom.
Thanks!
snapdog is offline Find More Posts by snapdog
Old May 01, 2013, 10:51 AM
Quadrotor
San Diego
Joined May 2010
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdog View Post
Anyone suggest a fix for turning the Phantom 360 degrees while hovering in place with GPS on. When I do a quick 360 it works fine, but to a slow 360 in starts running off in the direction of the initial turn, I've re-calibrated the TX, played with several gain settings, but still no fix. My DJI 550 Hexa and QAV500, turned in a perfect 360 circle without drifting. Wondering if anyone has had success with the Phantom.
Thanks!
I have the same issue, tried the same fix, and the problem remains.

I suspect part of it is that I'm at max payload, using the VBE anti-vibration mount and GoPro Hero3 in waterproof case, giving me a takeoff weight of 1018g. The payload is all attached near the front of the aircraft, using the 2 screws/screwholes made for the task, but that doesn't mean the weight is BALANCED to the center.

My current suspicion is that the camera/mount if too far forward, so when I try to make a simple turn-in-place it becomes a wide circle.
VCapture is offline Find More Posts by VCapture
Old May 01, 2013, 11:00 AM
dxr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2013
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmothy View Post
Woow, I was already looking at these gimbals. Could you please post some pictures and findings when you receive them. I'm really looking forward to this!
I second that. I want to see the wind 1 in action. it looks like it covers all the gopro ports on the side, but at least you can mount it directly under the Phantom to avoid prop wash
dxr is offline Find More Posts by dxr
Old May 01, 2013, 12:24 PM
Unregulated User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Is that the HK Orange 2.4 ghz TX? How did you bind with stock RX ?
I got rid of the little DJI receiver and stuck an OrangeRX R910 in its place.
Sac D is online now Find More Posts by Sac D
Old May 01, 2013, 01:21 PM
United States, NH, Manchester
Joined Mar 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
so after doing so many upgrades it once again like every other quad and/or hobby.. it just seems like it never comes to an end.. so just to name a few things I have done in the 3 weeks since getting my quad

- upgraded landing legs
- 9x4.7 balanced props
- gopro hero 3 black edition
- immersion gopro cable for fpv
- fatshark predator v2
- 5.8 GHz SpiroNET Omni Antenna Set
- Skylark Tiny OSD III

Nice legs and modifications, I would like to try some of that for mine, also thinking about doing a Harley Davidson paint scheme on it. Hobbies are damned expensive and mods are never ending.
UFCelt is offline Find More Posts by UFCelt