HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Actually, with the Lego Angle sensor, and a couple of the rotary motors, you COULD make a 2 axis gimbal.

About the points of separation. you have a screw going through the moon-gel to the phantom, so that still transfer maybe 75% of the energy, same thing about the velcro strap around the camera tray. the hard material transfers the energy (vibrations)
The lego 2 axis lego gimbal would be ridiculously funny. Even more so if it worked.

Thanks for the note on the moon gel / screw. I suppose the screws at the point of axis closes to my gopro are transferring vibes too. I'm guessing the biggest thing learned on this feaux-gimbal is actually how I've mounted the gopro itself. Just below the camera I have a slab of sorbothane. Below that a thin lego strip (about the size of the gopro base). Below that MoonGel. Below that a strip of velcro. Then another lego base. Somewhere in that mess I lost about 80% of the jello effect on 1080p / 60fps. When I run it at 2.7k it's no good especially in the sun. Just went out for some tests a moment ago. Not useable on most levels.

Still working at it, though.
cleverpork is offline Find More Posts by cleverpork
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur1102 View Post
Here is my Solution for the Jello/Rolling Shutter Problem.
And another positiv aspect : there are no e-graupner in the Video:-)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...39d=1359650639
Is that Alpha Gel? Where do you find that? I searched high and low for a supplier!
cleverpork is offline Find More Posts by cleverpork
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:11 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverpork View Post
The lego 2 axis lego gimbal would be ridiculously funny. Even more so if it worked.

Thanks for the note on the moon gel / screw. I suppose the screws at the point of axis closes to my gopro are transferring vibes too. I'm guessing the biggest thing learned on this feaux-gimbal is actually how I've mounted the gopro itself. Just below the camera I have a slab of sorbothane. Below that a thin lego strip (about the size of the gopro base). Below that MoonGel. Below that a strip of velcro. Then another lego base. Somewhere in that mess I lost about 80% of the jello effect on 1080p / 60fps. When I run it at 2.7k it's no good especially in the sun. Just went out for some tests a moment ago. Not useable on most levels.

Still working at it, though.
Start with making a top bar to hold the GoPro instead of the strap.. OR put some moon gell under the camera strap so the camera floats freely.

next make the lego gimbal.. it can be done and ought to be Lego project of the month.

I know Moon-gel is popular. but check into 1/2 inch sorbothane sheets on Amazon as a alternative. good stuff. personally I glue 4 10x10x10mm cubes, one in each corner of two 50x50mm plates as a sanwitch to work as a isolation box. that really help cleaning vibrations up a lot. however as Tony said, the number one place to spend effort is in actually removing the vibrations in the first place, it seems in general the stickers is not helping the motors, so I would peel those off. and then balance the props.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Phantom body availability?

I'd like to mod the Phantom body by having a carbon fiber water transfer process done....seems like it should look good, wear well with the clearcoat finish applied over the transfer, and add minimal weight. Since the price is only around $50 I'd like to buy a new one for the mod and keep one body original. Have been looking for a supplier and no one seems to have them in stock. Has DJI not yet made them available?
30sbound is offline Find More Posts by 30sbound
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:06 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
My phantom loaded for bear. stocked up with the Jakub gimbal, and video downlink. oh I had fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
My phantom loaded for bear. stocked up with the Jakub gimbal, and video downlink. oh I had fun.
Looks all stocked up! Find any bears? What is the quad weighing in at? Flight times?
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:34 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Nope, the riverbed seems sadly low on bears.
I think the all up was about 1050 ish. flight time 8min according to the video

(Getting FPV video of wildlife is a interesting thought)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
It certainly is! I've take a lot of picture and video of gators here in Florida but usually they scurry off before I can get close enough, can't wait to try it with the quad.

I'm trying to find a good solution to fit it in my camel bak so I can run/mountain bike with it. My next quad (yes I'm already dreaming bigger) will be designed to fold up.

Can't wait to see you catch some bears!
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:50 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
I have a preference for Y6 rigs and am playing with the ida of a small Phantom size Y6, Y6 because they are more "floaty" with less sharp moves than quads and octo rigs. (in my opinion) and the Y seems like a wonderful shape to make collapsable.

For backpacking, maybe use a old metal frame pack. and simply bungy cord the thing with the props in against your back onto the frame.? ad some type of pack sack on the bottom of the frame for batteries and TX, waterbottles and snackbars etc.

Wildlife with FPV would probably require shooting the Hero3 at normal lens instead of wide to get a closer frame.

Did a 2.7k cine test on the Phantom this morning, not perfect but not as bad as I had feared either. still processing. full size video for download on Vimeo.
DJI Phantom - Hero3 2.7k Cine - xGimbal - raw video to download if you like (1 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Feb 01, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:57 PM
DJI Phantom
Finland, Oulu, Kempele
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
My mods so far
Quanum telemetry and head lights.

Lieber is offline Find More Posts by Lieber
Last edited by Lieber; Feb 01, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
695 Posts
Quote:
Did a 2.7k cine test on the Phantom this morning, not perfect but not as bad as I had feared either. still processing. full size video for download on Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/58728030
That looked great Bo!
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
DIY, less weight and vibrations, no finished.

vayrus is offline Find More Posts by vayrus
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:35 PM
DJI Phantom
Finland, Oulu, Kempele
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
My phantom case

Lieber is offline Find More Posts by Lieber
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:37 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
My phantom grew a tail overnight! She is much more fun to fly now.

Hi,
Where did you get the colored propellers, they're nice
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
17 Posts
Anti vibration system. Sorbothane, moongel, carbon fiber sandwich.

The first make a carbon fiber sheet.(epoxy resin).

moongel up and carbon fiber piece

sorbothane down and carbon fiber piece.

vayrus is offline Find More Posts by vayrus