SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Lego Mounted Footage...

Oh, here's some footage with the aforementioned lego mount. Stabilized in FCP X. The minor warping is caused by the stabilization process.

AerialDemo3 (1 min 43 sec)


Also, all of these are low lit and when in brighter conditions I do get jello, which is driving me mad...
cleverpork is offline Find More Posts by cleverpork
Last edited by cleverpork; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
I'll post mine over here.

I think its starting to look like a bug. CF legs as well as a gimbal I'm working on.


@ TonyTypeS, The gimbal seems to be coming together nicely. What servos as you using for your gimbal and what are your gain settings for Pitch and Roll? I'm working on dialing mine in but starting to get frustrated.

I'm thinking of ditching the gimbal as my FPV setup should be arriving tomorrow! I plan on using the GoPro as the camera so I have to make myself a cable tonight.
FITandFUEL what thickness is the shoes carbon?
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:11 AM
Registered User
rudeboy78's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenuff View Post
rudeboy78


Show us how you mounted your UHF Rcvr in the Phantom.
Did you use the Buss connection to connect to the Naza or individually connect the channels?

Also what UHF Transmitter did you use?

Are your flights now distance limited by the 5.8 Ghz Video Trxr

Hey buddy unfortunately I'm off back to work tomorrow (offshore) and don't have time today to pull the Phantom apart to show you, I'm using the 4 channel immersion rc EzUHF rx via PPM mode so only 1 wire and this rx will output up to 12 channels via ppm but only 4 in traditional mode and is smaller and cheaper than the 8 channel equivalents, using Futaba 9C controller with EzUHF Tx

yes mate now only limited by Video range and Battery Life, will be on the hunt for a larger capacity battery that still fits the phantom battery tray when I get home from work and may also try 2.4 video for better range,

Sorry about not being able to show you more but if it hasn't been done by someone else by the time I'm home in a few weeks then I'll do a "how to" video.
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy78 View Post
Hey buddy unfortunately I'm off back to work tomorrow (offshore) and don't have time today to pull the Phantom apart to show you, I'm using the 4 channel immersion rc EzUHF rx via PPM mode so only 1 wire and this rx will output up to 12 channels via ppm but only 4 in traditional mode and is smaller and cheaper than the 8 channel equivalents, using Futaba 9C controller with EzUHF Tx

yes mate now only limited by Video range and Battery Life, will be on the hunt for a larger capacity battery that still fits the phantom battery tray when I get home from work and may also try 2.4 video for better range,

Sorry about not being able to show you more but if it hasn't been done by someone else by the time I'm home in a few weeks then I'll do a "how to" video.
The biggest battery I could find that would fit inside and still close the door was a 2700
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:46 AM
Registered User
rudeboy78's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
The biggest battery I could find that would fit inside and still close the door was a 2700

Link to battery please!!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Unfortunately I bought it at a local hobby shop. Details are 3s 2700mAh 25c. It gets me a bit further then the stock battery. I also have a 3200 I run on the battery tray but honestly with the GoPro and FPV stuff its a bit heavy and flight times are about par with the 2700. Without camera and FPV its closer to 15 minutes.
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 AM
SvP
Registered User
SvP's Avatar
Sweden, Stockholm County
Joined May 2011
177 Posts
Nice work.
SvP is offline Find More Posts by SvP
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:45 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Here is my Solution for the Jello/Rolling Shutter Problem.
And another positiv aspect : there are no e-graupner in the Video:-)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...39d=1359650639
artur1102 is offline Find More Posts by artur1102
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:01 PM
Quad Pilot
Jumanoc's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
1,045 Posts
Hello,
Until I get my Hero3 (on the way...) i tried using an old Phone Nokia N95 (Hi res Camera, stabilization embebed- GPS- Autofocus..etc.).
I mounted with High Density foam and some plastic strapes. No got "out of jello" video neither "fish eye" viewing, but it works! and got 30 minutes for video recording with it old battery. Additionaly i got some experience trying different materials to reduce jello. here the pictures:







Now I think how to "stream" video throught 3G cell network!
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:48 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/two-axis-...uadcopter.html

I just saw this gimbal for the Phantom. Looks like it might work ok.
Tony, that looks pretty nice actually, its simple and small.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:53 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverpork View Post
My goal was to try and create points of separation with different material (like velcro, moongel, sorbathane). I figure that different material will accept vibration at different rates, so using several might help. The original design was a 2 axis gimbal, but it was terribly wobbly. It swayed an unacceptable amount.
Actually, with the Lego Angle sensor, and a couple of the rotary motors, you COULD make a 2 axis gimbal. unfortunately I think the lego controller is way too slow and the gimbal would probably be reacting after the phantom have already leveled out. but it would be a fun build.

About the points of separation. you have a screw going through the moon-gel to the phantom, so that still transfer maybe 75% of the energy, same thing about the velcro strap around the camera tray. the hard material transfers the energy (vibrations)
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Jan 31, 2013 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur1102 View Post
Here is my Solution for the Jello/Rolling Shutter Problem.
And another positiv aspect : there are no e-graupner in the Video:-)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...39d=1359650639
With this setup you are still transferring vibrations from the frame to the camera, through the side mounts. If the side mounts were connected to the top plate, all the vibrations would go to the top plate, through the rubber, and then to the camera.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:31 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Tony, that looks pretty nice actually, its simple and small.
Yup, but I wonder how it will perform. Good thing its cheap if it doesnt work out I see that the mount doesnt use a bearing but a plastic dampner setup. I wonder how that will work over time. Only if they would move the mount back and down slightly it will get the props out the view when using the GoPro in wide view.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:41 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Tony, that looks pretty nice actually, its simple and small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverpork View Post
Was looking around the house racking my brain for goods to create a make shift anti-vibration mount of some type. Then I saw them in my sons room -- LEGOS!!!!!





My goal was to try and create points of separation with different material (like velcro, moongel, sorbathane). I figure that different material will accept vibration at different rates, so using several might help. The original design was a 2 axis gimbal, but it was terribly wobbly. It swayed an unacceptable amount.

That said, the moongel drum dapners really helped. I doubled them up beneath the gopro and also smashed them between the mount and the phantom.

Still not happy with some of the vibrations I'm getting. Maybe I'll try changing out the props as Tony mentioned. Also, I'd like to get or build a 2 axis mount, but time is short...
Dampening the setup only covers up the source of vibration. One should really fix the source first
Most important way to eliminate the Jello effect is the properly balance the props and motors. That's the main source for vibrations. Once those are done correctly jello will will be 99% gone.This process may take a long time to do. The stock props can only perform good to a point. Once you start getting more aggressive with the throttle the stock props will bend under load and cause vibrations. That's why I use the Graupner props. The stock props will however work fine for slow flying getting those cinematic shots.

If your going to make a gimbal make sure you use something strong. When I'm made my mount I cut away too much material and the gimbal was weak. It works but can be twisted. Not good because this transfered into small vibrations and the GoPro is a master at picking up the slightest vibs haha
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Dampening the setup only covers up the source of vibration. One should really fix the source first
Most important way to eliminate the Jello effect is the properly balance the props and motors. That's the main source for vibrations. Once those are done correctly jello will will be 99% gone.This process may take a long time to do. The stock props can only perform good to a point. Once you start getting more aggressive with the throttle the stock props will bend under load and cause vibrations. That's why I use the Graupner props. The stock props will however work fine for slow flying getting those cinematic shots.

If your going to make a gimbal make sure you use something strong. When I'm made my mount I cut away too much material and the gimbal was weak. It works but can be twisted. Not good because this transfered into small vibrations and the GoPro is a master at picking up the slightest vibs haha
Good points. Someone up for making a how-to about balancing props/engines on the phantom? I guess you have to remove quite a bit to get to the engines.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Last edited by beamen; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale e-Flight F4 phantom tam jet 1409 2y 8s upgraded motor and fan!! holeshot203 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 6 Jan 31, 2013 10:32 AM
Cool DJI Introducing Phantom w/GPS Flight Control DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Talk 1 Jan 07, 2013 08:18 PM
New Product DJI Phantom Available at AddictiveRC/RcHobbyHelicopter Now! johnIn2SonAZ Multirotor Talk 2 Jan 05, 2013 01:35 AM
Off Site DJI Phantom RTF GotHeliRC Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Jan 04, 2013 03:18 PM