I think so. I have about 60 flights on 3.16, on 3 different crafts
RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:12 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
201 Posts
Blade Protector - Long scews and Motors don't play well!

This may not be the right place to bring this up...Kinda sorta think this post fits as it is related to the Prop Guards which is an upgrade.

Bought the prop guards. Thought I would be clever and just put the long screws in the outboard motor mounts. Then when I installed the guards - I wouldn't have to swap screws. Quickly found out how stupid this was when I powered up the phantom and the motors would not turn. Guess the screws hit the cans. The light bulb came on and I replaced the long screws with the short screws. Not as lucky as I had hoped for. Three of the four motors turn-n-burn great. #4 just jitters as it turns slowly - will NOT spool up.

What does the jitter movement mean? Have I fried the motor, the ESC, or both? If so, where do I get a new ESC and Motor?

Thanks
Jim
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
Just got sucked into it all!!
United States, MO, St. Peters
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
FWIW for me anyway 4.0 feels very solid. The limit issue can be set high as others have said. I also enabled manual control for this and all the other 3.1x reasons.
Quad Head is offline Find More Posts by Quad Head
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:34 PM
Will fly for food!
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Jun 2013
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
This may not be the right place to bring this up...Kinda sorta think this post fits as it is related to the Prop Guards which is an upgrade.

Bought the prop guards. Thought I would be clever and just put the long screws in the outboard motor mounts. Then when I installed the guards - I wouldn't have to swap screws. Quickly found out how stupid this was when I powered up the phantom and the motors would not turn. Guess the screws hit the cans. The light bulb came on and I replaced the long screws with the short screws. Not as lucky as I had hoped for. Three of the four motors turn-n-burn great. #4 just jitters as it turns slowly - will NOT spool up.

What does the jitter movement mean? Have I fried the motor, the ESC, or both? If so, where do I get a new ESC and Motor?

Thanks
Jim
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but you may have ruined the motor. Using the long screws end up going into the motors copper wiring. I posted a warning about a similar issue here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1956390
Burntpixel is offline Find More Posts by Burntpixel
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:15 AM
United States, CA, Fair Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
879 Posts
So I stuck a cheapo gimbal on it today, I'm pretty damn impressed! With dual batts, gimbal, 9" CF props and T motors, ran a solid 8 minutes and had plenty of power left.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phant...hy-blalck.html

I purposely ran it high and dropped like a rock to get wash wobble and couldn't believe how well it did for a cheapo that I just wired up (dont even know how to program it). Check out the arms moving!

Cheap ebay gimbal test on Phantom (1 min 25 sec)
Loppy is offline Find More Posts by Loppy
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:23 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post

Thanks
Jim
You shorted one of the windings.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:11 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop View Post
If you sell it I will pay :-)
Will you sell it ?
Make me an offer
I would have to build another.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:37 AM
Czech Republic, Karlovy Vary Region
Joined May 2013
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loppy View Post
...With dual batts, gimbal, 9" CF props and T motors, ran a solid 8 minutes and had plenty of power left. ...
Your weight?
What are your settings for GAIN 9 "propeller?
Thanks.
gardenroute is offline Find More Posts by gardenroute
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Go Africa 2013 Expedition
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:42 AM
United States, CA, Fair Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenroute View Post
Your weight?
What are your settings for GAIN 9 "propeller?
Thanks.
I'll get a weight for you and better specs this weekend. Work is killing me, and I'm getting dragged to a stupid wedding tonight. Cheers
Loppy is offline Find More Posts by Loppy
Old Sep 20, 2013, 07:43 PM
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2013
620 Posts
Quote:
So I stuck a cheapo gimbal on it today, I'm pretty damn impressed! With dual batts, gimbal, 9" CF props and T motors, ran a solid 8 minutes and had plenty of power left.

I purposely ran it high and dropped like a rock to get wash wobble and couldn't believe how well it did for a cheapo that I just wired up (dont even know how to program it). Check out the arms moving!

http://youtu.be/5RCB5jmz90Y
Ordered one too, thx for the hint
Wouterjansen60 is offline Find More Posts by Wouterjansen60
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:47 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
Added folding landing gear and gimbal rail to my phantom
stealthdragonb is online now Find More Posts by stealthdragonb
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:06 AM
United States, IL, Cowden
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthdragonb View Post
Added folding landing gear and gimbal rail to my phantom
Those props guards are screaming for LED's.
RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:44 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/5RCB5jmz90Y
I said these would be under $100.00 before fall
Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:14 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Do you need the upgrade board like with the Zenmuse?

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Sep 21, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,723 Posts
Today was rainy, so no flying. But that did give me the time to finally get started on some mods for my stock Phantom.

The first mod was just for convenience, and to get familiar with taking the shell off, working the plastic, etc. I swapped out the gray USB cable for a female mini-USB port integrated into the side. Pretty easy, just cut out a small hole in the shell, notched the rubber sheath of the USB socket, ensured a tight fit:

Second was a bit more involving. Followed HGT's lead to make use of the enormous battery compartment in the Phantom, by widening the opening of the battery door, and filing down the battery guide ribs in the lower shell. I ended up making a hole in the battery door for the wires to connect externally, but now I can fit (barely) two 2200mah Phantom batteries into the body:

I don't know if there are any 3s 3000-5000mah batteries that fit the 105mm length of the compartment, but for now I'll just run two stock bats in parallel, and route the cables to the outside if needed.

Here's the final. Legs and top shell may stay off until my gimbal and landing gear are set up; the plastic is pretty soft and I don't want to keep screwing/unscrewing things.

ElGuano is offline Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E600 Load Testing