HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
I had the Sunnysky 2216/800 on a Y6 and they flew beautifully.

I like both the Sunnyskys and the Tigers. Don't see much of a difference except in pricing.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by daskim; Jul 30, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,039 Posts
I have always been told that tigers are just rebranded sunnysky at double the cost.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
821 Posts
It seems the T-Motors MS2212-980kv are even smaller than DJI's silvers:

stator diameter 27.50 mm
height 24.45mm
shaft's length 54.20mm
shaft's diameter 5.95mm

rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Jul 2011
520 Posts
interesting.

i wonder if there lighter too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
It seems the T-Motors MS2212-980kv are even smaller than DJI's silvers:

stator diameter 27.50 mm
height 24.45mm
shaft's length 54.20mm
shaft's diameter 5.95mm

aonavy is offline Find More Posts by aonavy
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Apr 2011
821 Posts
I have never removed my Phantom's motors but these T's are 65 grams each

Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
821 Posts
Sunnies lighter (56 gr), cheaper (19.95 usd each) and similar specs

http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-x2212-13-980kv-ii.html
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:06 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,032 Posts
Quote:
I have never removed my Phantom's motors but these T's are 65 grams each

A good portion of that is the long leads and bullets on the T-Motors.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,309 Posts
I bet polarity trick works on those motors when connected to dji esc's lemme know

Motor mounted and wires running away from you towards esc, middle wire yellow, left black, right red esc wire. If anyone gets a chance to test this on non tiger motors I'd like to know. I think it may be an industry standard, so lets test the idea. It works with white phantom motors and red dji stock motors so far. Many pms confirm, its solid for white tiger motors and ill bet it applies to at least all t motor setups. Post here if it doesn't work...
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Last edited by branflakes; Jul 30, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
280 Posts
I just tested fresh ThunderPower 2700mAh packs and I got the same flight times as the Hyperion 2500's. They are new so I will reserve judgement until I run them for a few cycles and break them in. They are rated at 25C but to me seem a little more punchy than the Hyperions in bursts when you need it, and for sure seem punchier than the stock batteries. They do fit, about a millimeter in one of the dimensions that make it easier than the Hyperions to fit.

Weight:
Hyperion 205grams
Thunderpower 187grams
Stock 175grams

My conclusion so far? I do sometimes need that extra 45 seconds in reserve that the Hyperions get me...but I think the stock batteries are pretty awesome and lightweight. Will plan to buy some more since they are so cheap relative to the other batteries and will be good to have as backups if I am out and needing to fly for extended periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkioken View Post
I only did two packs each of the stock and Hyperion 2500
my Naza warning is set to leave 11.4 volts (fairly conservative) and leaves around 35% or so in the pack

pretty consistent:
Hyperion 5:45 (ish)
Stock 5:00 (ish)

the two packs for each varied about 5 seconds - this is on about 1265 grams =gimbal + t-motors + lots of paint + landing gear + vtx + 9" props

I'll try and get to testing stock props in these times as well...Thunder Power 2700 comes on Tues I believe, will test those out after I break them in
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:50 PM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Sunnies lighter (56 gr), cheaper (19.95 usd each) and similar specs

http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-x2212-13-980kv-ii.html
can i directly replace the dji 960 on the phantom? any gain over the stock motor at all? and im looking to replace the esc too conventional one. I think it will fit in the arm. my motor is kinda almost hot so i want to be safe as possible
Askyvision is offline Find More Posts by Askyvision
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:27 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,081 Posts
I really don't see the point of replacing the DJI motors on the Phantom. You literally will not see a difference in flight times between the SunnySky/T-Motor variants and the stock DJI versions, and there certainly won't be any difference in power that is detectable. You want more power from a Phantom? Replace the ESCs and run it on 4s. Gobs more power and more efficient, but frankly, what's the point? You could just do an F330 or an F450 on 4s.

The easiest way to get a boost in efficiency, in my opinion, is to use better props.
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Apr 2011
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I really don't see the point of replacing the DJI motors on the Phantom. You literally will not see a difference in flight times between the SunnySky/T-Motor variants and the stock DJI versions, and there certainly won't be any difference in power that is detectable. You want more power from a Phantom? Replace the ESCs and run it on 4s. Gobs more power and more efficient, but frankly, what's the point? You could just do an F330 or an F450 on 4s.

The easiest way to get a boost in efficiency, in my opinion, is to use better props.
just looking for better quality motors, more lightweight at a reasonable price

You could improve your flight time by reducing AUW...

BTW, does anybody know the weight of stock motors?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:53 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,081 Posts
Quote:

Better quality in what sense? Lighter? I doubt it. Better bearings? Possibly, but then I've never had a DJI motor fail, and I've used plenty of them (three Phantoms, one F330, two F450s and two F550s...). I've also used the 2216 and 2814 SunnySkys on lots of platforms and the only difference I've seen with the 2216 SS over the 2212 DJI motors is on heavier platforms that had higher disc loading. A heavy F550, with 10x5 Graupners or CF props will make the DJI motors run a bit on the hot side, where the 2216 SunnySkys will be just warm to the touch. On a 3s Phantom, I don't think you'd ever see any measurable difference between the stock DJI 2212s and pretty much anything else. Just my opinion, but I do have quite a bit of experience to back it up.

-- Gary
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:15 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,029 Posts
Quote:

Phantom stock (silver) motor weight is 52 gr. (wires included).
Antigravity T-Motor (white) weight is 59 gr. (wires included).
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jumanoc; Jul 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:20 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,081 Posts
Here's another flight I did with the H3-2D integrated with an AlexMos-driven 3508 for the pan axis. I loaded in Alex's latest beta firmware on the AM board, which adds angular limits for the follow mode which helps me keep the LG struts out of the frame, as much is possible. I'm pretty happy with this setup except there is still a slight bit of jello. I will try changing the tension on the secondary isolation layer, to see if I can't get this last bit out. Previously, just adding an ND filter was enough to get this out in bright sunlight, but the LayerLens just has a clear lens plate. It'd be great if these were available as an ND filter.

Phantom H3 2D + 3rd Axis Test 04 (4 min 21 sec)

I actually did two flights on this 2600 Hyperion pack, the first one being a short one that had some oscillations from the Naza gains being too high. I fixed those, and then did this flight, and right at the end it went into the secondary power alert (red flashing...) and decided to land itself. I will disable this function for future flights because with the heavier AUW, it pretty much drops like a rock when this alert is tripped.

-- Gary