SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:11 AM
Joined Mar 2013
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natscape View Post
Hello guys.

Was supposed to replace bearings on one motor today but I cannot seem to remove the old bearings by poking them out using a small screwdriver or Allen wrench.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

I had the same issues when replacing bearings in one of my stock motors. I ended up getting the bearing out by brut force (not advisable), a deep cut in my index & long finger.

A bearing is best pushed out squarely, so finding a suitable tool, and tediously pushing a little on all the sides of the bearing will help, rather than trying to push it out all at once. A little oil is also useful.

I have bearing pullers (do not what they're called in english) but none suited for these small bearings.
simensays is offline Find More Posts by simensays
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simensays View Post
I had the same issues when replacing bearings in one of my stock motors. I ended up getting the bearing out by brut force (not advisable), a deep cut in my index & long finger.

A bearing is best pushed out squarely, so finding a suitable tool, and tediously pushing a little on all the sides of the bearing will help, rather than trying to push it out all at once. A little oil is also useful.

I have bearing pullers (do not what they're called in english) but none suited for these small bearings.
What bearings you upgrade to?
Mr.Miele is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Miele
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:04 AM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
698 Posts
Quote:

Thank you for your reply Simen, so what did you end up doing to remove the bearings?

Would you also happen to have a photo of the motor without the bearings? Would like to know what it looks like so I will know if I'm doing anything wrong.
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:21 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,144 Posts
You need a small aluminum pipe or PVC pipe about the same diameter as the bearings, tap with a mallet and they'll pop out.
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:23 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2013
109 Posts
Quote:
Would you also happen to have a photo of the motor without the bearings? Would like to know what it looks like so I will know if I'm doing anything wrong.
plenty of videos on youtube showing bearing removal

I used an allen key just a bit smaller than the shaft diameter, then using the handle of a screwdriver as a hammer, give the allen key a quick but light tap on one side of the bearing, if it didn't pop out, tap on the opposite side, usually that's all that is needed before it pops out, but if not keep doing the process constantly changing where your hitting the bearing.

Toss the bearing and install a new one.

here's an video I found
DJI MOTOR REPAIR 2212/920 KV NO MORE ROUGH SOUND (18 min 37 sec)
BruceTS is offline Find More Posts by BruceTS
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:32 AM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTS View Post
plenty of videos on youtube showing bearing removal

I used an allen key just a bit smaller than the shaft diameter, then using the handle of a screwdriver as a hammer, give the allen key a quick but light tap on one side of the bearing, if it didn't pop out, tap on the opposite side, usually that's all that is needed before it pops out, but if not keep doing the process constantly changing where your hitting the bearing.

Toss the bearing and install a new one.

here's an video I found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVu8YuC8iE
Thanks for your reply Bruce.

I actually used the allen key+screwdriver handle method before I posted here and the bearing didn't even move a hair.

A question though - when you insert the allen key in sideways, does it need to be at an angle that hits the side of the "shaft cylinder" (or whatever it's called - the cylinder where the 2 bearings are) before I tap it with the screwdriver handle?

Or should it be just slightly angled but not hitting the side of the cylinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
You need a small aluminum pipe or PVC pipe about the same diameter as the bearings, tap with a mallet and they'll pop out.
Thanks skipper1! Are you hitting the bearing with the aluminum pipe on the center part or the sides?
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Bruce.

I actually used the allen key+screwdriver handle method before I posted here and the bearing didn't even move a hair.

A question though - when you insert the allen key in sideways, does it need to be at an angle that hits the side of the "shaft cylinder" (or whatever it's called - the cylinder where the 2 bearings are) before I tap it with the screwdriver handle?

Or should it be just slightly angled but not hitting the side of the cylinder?

Thanks skipper1! Are you hitting the bearing with the aluminum pipe on the center part or the sides?
Actually, no. I'm just reading and trying to put myself in your shoes and what would I try to get those out. Even a wooden dow the size size of the bearings might work. I think you need something that can give even pressure. I would also try spraying some DW-40 the then hit it.
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Hi,
I recently did a few mods to my dji phantom...
I added an on-off switch, I build in a beeper to find it when lost, It's painted now, I placed an LC-filter for the immersionrc 600mw 5.8ghz and yesterday I placed my hitech optima 9 receiver in too.

Now the new receiver is giving me some wories...

Failsafe problem dji phantom (1 min 25 sec)

everything works, including the failsafe, when failsafe is activated it switches to "failsafe mode" and the beeper starts screaming for papa

However, when it regains a signal from the transmitter (hitech aurora 9)
the throttle, roll, pitch and yaw bars in the asistant software start going crazy

Any ideas?

Gr Onno
schutter schippe is offline Find More Posts by schutter schippe
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhirsch View Post
SimonSays has some great designs and i'm sure Shapeways does do quality work and it's also true that very few people now have 3D printers although in this forum it's probably a much higher percent than the general public. That said, I think that Phantomlvr has a point that releasing the designs into the public domain is what is best for the community because for one, if you look at thingy,, you will see how people make modifications to improve on existing all the time. Second this new 3D printing stuff is developing and improving and people are learning. Having the designs public domain allow for more experimentation on things that are useful to the 3D printer owner. The one downside is obviously the intellectual property that the designer is giving away and the opportunity for future profits on it. I might suggest at this point in time some type of shareware donate type thing that people can either pay a small fee for the design or else donate to the designer. That way things will move along quicker than otherwise. Those vast majority without 3D printers will still buy from Shapeways or whomever might come along who will ship in 2 days instead of 10, etc.

Than you everyone for your support, so far there has been 2000+ views and 150+ downloads of my DJI Phantom upgrade parts and quite a few people bought it from me on Ebay.

I have a few more DJI Phantom upgrade parts coming up next few days and will again post them for free download on Thingiverse.

Since this is a forum for DJI Phantom modifications, I believe this is the best thread to share this. This is what is available so far.

V1=15cm DJI Phantom Landing Gear Upgrade

V2=15cm (Beefed up version)

V3=12cm (same as original Dji Phantom landing gear)

V4=9cm Dji Phantom Landing Gear Upgrade (for small FPV camera)

V5=5cm Dji Phantom Landing Gear Upgrade (great for naked Phantom)

Fat Shark Video Transmitter Mount for Dji Phantom
phantomlvr is offline Find More Posts by phantomlvr
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
Thank you @nhirsch! Totally agree with you. I would like to send you a sample for the kind words. Send me a PM to get your address.

We are experiencing new industrial revolution and it's really exciting to be part of it. 3d printing is definitely is the future of manufacturing and its destructing many existing business models and mind schemas. I believe in a few years, most of designs will be available for free and anyone with 3d printer will be able to print what they need. Same issue will happen as with video download and torrents, where well see many "brand name" designs being pirate shared online and there will be no way to stop it. So @simensays its great that you are talking to some distributors, but there will be no real intellectual property on your designs (or impossible to enforce) and still they will be copied and reproduced and available for free. There is no way to stop this (as you have seen already happening on Shapeways where other people have similar designs for sale as you do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhirsch View Post
SimonSays has some great designs and i'm sure Shapeways does do quality work and it's also true that very few people now have 3D printers although in this forum it's probably a much higher percent than the general public. That said, I think that Phantomlvr has a point that releasing the designs into the public domain is what is best for the community because for one, if you look at thingy,, you will see how people make modifications to improve on existing all the time. Second this new 3D printing stuff is developing and improving and people are learning. Having the designs public domain allow for more experimentation on things that are useful to the 3D printer owner. The one downside is obviously the intellectual property that the designer is giving away and the opportunity for future profits on it. I might suggest at this point in time some type of shareware donate type thing that people can either pay a small fee for the design or else donate to the designer. That way things will move along quicker than otherwise. Those vast majority without 3D printers will still buy from Shapeways or whomever might come along who will ship in 2 days instead of 10, etc.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
I think there is no point to argue whos part is better or stronger.
Point is anything breaks, especially if you have a crash landing. My main goal was to make a replacement, which is
- easy to print
- interchangeable
- upgradable
- available for free

I'm doing this as a hobby, and of course this is lots of room for improvements, but its more exciting to get people to collaborate, test, and future suggest improvements.

Mark my words, in a year, things wont be the same in the field of 3d printing because of its mass adoption.

Quote:
I have been working with plastic models, mainly Tamiyas for more than 15 years now (here is a link to some of my collection). also I have had a lot of parts made by Shapeways - all made with laser sintered nylon plastic (named Strong & Flexible on SW), and the quality & strength of the prints/parts is equal, or even greater than molded parts. Structural design, type of material, intended use etc is key for both applications.

A design that has badly designed structural integrity will prove to have poor characteristics, prone to break etc. There are a lot of poorly designed 3D pritnted parts available (same with molded parts), mainly because anybody can now make a design and have it 3D printed, with no real formal understanding of how a part need to be structurally built, other than a general idea of the purpose it should serve in the end.

3D printing is claimed to be "a new industrial revolution", and is still in it's early stages, but at the stage we're at today, it is a perfect solution for rapid prototyping, small production volumes etc - although it does come with a price. The prices will get lower, the production times shorter, the range of materials bigger, and quality higher, accessibility better etc.

The largest US DJI distributor contacted me recently, saying they were looking for "additional design expertise to compliment our engineers" and asked if I was interested. Design & engineering goes hand in hand.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:38 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
821 Posts
Regarding the phantomlvr's vtx mount...

today I was thinking about the best place to put my vtx. I'm still using where everybody uses

but if you turn Phantom in your direction, GoPro blocks the rvx view and video signal get weak.

It seems the best place would be bellow the camera mount/gimbal, however, stock legs do not are tall enough to accommodate the antenna properly. Another possibility would be fixing behind the GoPro mount with the SpiroNet antenna
facing down but, again, the legs are not enough high...
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
Does anyone has improvement ideas, suggestions or requirements for any modification parts for DJI Phantom? Lets collaborate and make it happen
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomlvr View Post
I think there is no point to argue whos part is better or stronger.
Point is anything breaks, especially if you have a crash landing. My main goal was to make a replacement, which is
- easy to print
- interchangeable
- upgradable
- available for free

I'm doing this as a hobby, and of course this is lots of room for improvements, but its more exciting to get people to collaborate, test, and future suggest improvements.

Mark my words, in a year, things wont be the same in the field of 3d printing because of its mass adoption.
You and simensays, that have ability in 3D modeling, could think about a spring-like design like an arc joining the front and back mounting points with a straight part in the middle. It could be made with a thin CF rod and would be very light and flexible.

It would be something like this:

just a crazy idea
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2013
51 Posts
I have tried both ways:

1) put the vtx inside the phantom, but this way I get some interference from GPS and signal is not as strong

2) I found I get the most range and less interference with this setup:

Do you have any suggestions?
PM me and Ill send you a free vtx mount for review (you pay for shipping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
Regarding the phantomlvr's vtx mount...

today I was thinking about the best place to put my vtx. I'm still using where everybody uses

but if you turn Phantom in your direction, GoPro blocks the rvx view and video signal get weak.

It seems the best place would be bellow the camera mount/gimbal, however, stock legs do not are tall enough to accommodate the antenna properly. Another possibility would be fixing behind the GoPro mount with the SpiroNet antenna
facing down but, again, the legs are not enough high...